My steering wheel is off by 1 to 3% after off-roading

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
I replaced stock steering (drag link, tie rod and stabilizer) with MetalCloak and have not seen the need to adjust since. Will report back if I do.
Sponsored

Reactions: BHo

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I replaced stock steering (drag link, tie rod and stabilizer) with MetalCloak and have not seen the need to adjust since. Will report back if I do.
I’m having the same problem with my 2020 JLUR. Tonight it was off enough to trigger my Stability Control to shoot a warning. Got home and adjusted the track bar to center my wheel. So, why would the OEM draglink need to be adjusted after wheeling when toe-in alignment is within tolerance? Track bar or faulty draglink are my only culprits...

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m having the same problem with my 2020 JLUR. Tonight it was off enough to trigger my Stability Control to shoot a warning. Got home and adjusted the track bar to center my wheel. So, why would the OEM draglink need to be adjusted after wheeling when toe-in alignment is within tolerance? Track bar or faulty draglink are my only culprits...
Being fairly new to this sport, I asked the same question and was essentially told "Welcome to wheeling where physics sometimes happens we cannot fully explain".

In fact, my MC setup tends to loosen a bit when flexing and turning the front end significantly on the trails, requiring I be diligent about keeping things tight. Not a problem and forces me to keep an eye on all components.

Goin2drt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Rubicon, 17 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
I am one that would tell you to just readjust the drag link if the Jeep is driving fine all except the center. If it is not pulling etc I feel you are good.

I had a post like this and everyone freaked me out saying many of the same thing here. I knew I didn’t hit anything crazy. I took it to the shop and PAID for an alignment and all it was was the drag link that I could have done in two minutes.

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes. All you have to do is scroll down and see the list of "Similar Threads" to know this is not uncommon and just something that comes with the sport.

And of course, having the centuries of collective expertise on this forum is how we all keep the off-trail anxiety down to a minimum.
Sponsored