My steering wheel is off by 1 to 3% after off-roading

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Has anyone ever had there steering wheel go off center after offroading? I looked underneath and the only thing that I hit was my front differential while rock crawling. Think hitting my diff changed the camber??? I'm off about 1 to 3% on my steering wheel.

I do have a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift with Metalcloak control arms. After the lift, My steering wheel had to be adjusted and I had it perfect. Now its off.
Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Either something was loosened or bent. Check your drag link again for any scars and check all the fasteners on it. It is the most vulnerable steering component as it hangs the lowest.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Here are the only areas I hit:
B4A58D1B-3818-44FD-8E18-A92D9F30018A.jpeg

Tie rod looks perfectly straight. There are no marks on the drag link. Also, nothing is loose.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
After wheeling it’s common for the steering wheel to be off center. Just straighten it using the clamp on the draglink.
Okay, thanks. I’ve. Ever had this happen to me before.

Sponsored

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Okay, thanks. I’ve. Ever had this happen to me before.
Yeah it’s hit and miss. Sometimes I can go on 4 wheeling trips and never have an issue and then boom! Steering wheel off.

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
Has anyone ever had there steering wheel go off center after offroading? I looked underneath and the only thing that I hit was my front differential while rock crawling. Think hitting my diff changed the camber??? I'm off about 1 to 3% on my steering wheel.

I do have a 2.5" Rock Krawler lift with Metalcloak control arms. After the lift, My steering wheel had to be adjusted and I had it perfect. Now its off.
Check your track bar bracket welds as well. Make sure it hasn't started to come loose and move from the original position.

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
When you look at the issues, the steering wheel was fine, then the steering wheel was subjected to lots of force, and now it isn’t straight anymore, it’s not a simple just straighten it out with adjustment. You need to know where the problem is. Steering is kind of a big deal. Do us all a favor and inspect every inch of it. Especially with a new vehicle that has been lifted, it’s very likely something was loose prior to wheeling which caused the issue, but you need to find out what it is.

It is very easy to knock a ifs out of alignment, not so much with our setups. On my jeeps, I’ve built them and setup the steering and suspension myself. I n ow how it was put together and knew everything was torqued every time before it went out on the trail. I’ve wheeled Jeeps hard for years and the only steering issues I’ve encountered have been from damage. Never once was the wheel off when something wasn’t damaged.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Check your track bar bracket welds as well. Make sure it hasn't started to come loose and move from the original position.
I have the Rusty’s front track bar mounting bracket and its very beefy.

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
When you look at the issues, the steering wheel was fine, then the steering wheel was subjected to lots of force, and now it isn’t straight anymore, it’s not a simple just straighten it out with adjustment. You need to know where the problem is. Steering is kind of a big deal. Do us all a favor and inspect every inch of it. Especially with a new vehicle that has been lifted, it’s very likely something was loose prior to wheeling which caused the issue, but you need to find out what it is.

It is very easy to knock a ifs out of alignment, not so much with our setups. On my jeeps, I’ve built them and setup the steering and suspension myself. I n ow how it was put together and knew everything was torqued every time before it went out on the trail. I’ve wheeled Jeeps hard for years and the only steering issues I’ve encountered have been from damage. Never once was the wheel off when something wasn’t damaged.
Yeah it’s weird. I installed the lift myself and I know it’s torqued correctly. I did a quick check and everything is still tight but will do a more thorough check this weekend.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This is probably nothing but how much space should be between here: (this is the drag link right by my passenger tire)
IMG_5934.JPG

vavaroutsos

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sprinter Crew Van 2500 High Roof 144" WB OM651 Brilliant Silver, 2019 JLR 3.6L 6SPD Granite Crystal
This is probably nothing but how much space should be between here: (this is the drag link right by my passenger tire)
IMG_5934.JPG
I just looked at mine and the space is similar.

jasmeetbabra

First Name
Jango Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Wrangler Sport S

Mikepa

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR, '11 LR4, '21 F-150 FX4, '08 620i Gator
Same thing just happened to me. Went out with some seasoned club members, hitting the more challenging trails. Lots of larger rocks noticeably forcing steering wheel from my grip.

Got back to staging area five hours later with front wheels straight and steering wheel pointing to 12:30ish. Everything seems tight. Just adjusted drag link back to straight. Will keep an eye on it.

Reactions: BHo

BHo

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLU Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Same thing just happened to me. Went out with some seasoned club members, hitting the more challenging trails. Lots of larger rocks noticeably forcing steering wheel from my grip.

Got back to staging area five hours later with front wheels straight and steering wheel pointing to 12:30ish. Everything seems tight. Just adjusted drag link back to straight. Will keep an eye on it.
Any traction on the issue? My draglink needs readjustment after lockers used in 4WD LOW.
Sponsored