Sponsored

My Rubicon was totaled by an uninsured/unlicensed driver. What to try next? (dashcam video included)

Mark Elliott

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Very happy you and your son are as well as possible, after a hit like that. I jumped back a foot from my iPad just watching, and the fear and pain in your sons voice was horrifying. Make sure you both get throughly checked out within 14 days , (at least here in Florida), and do NOT say you are okay to the insurance company , until you know for SURE. I was rear ended in a 1996 Miata at a train crossing , almost got pushed into the trains path. At first I didnā€™t feel ā€œterribleā€, but was hurting, 3 operations later including a disk fusion and disk replacement i still suffer lower back issues. Luckily he had insurance and I have uninsured/ under insured on my policy that helped a lot.

Again, so happy you and your son are ā€œokayā€ā€¦.
Sponsored

ScenicRoute

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Occupation
Beer Finisher
Dude...whoa. May god grant you the patience to not go find that jack ass and beat your deductible out of him.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I had to stop watching the first video (rear view of impact) after hearing the distress in your child's voice. Thank Heaven you're both alive and able to deal with the after-effects.

If you could snap your fingers and try something new, what would it be?
Something new? Ok. I might choose to daydream about ensuring that the offending driver never offends again.

similar situation happened to me. In my six month old car.
Dreamer DUI No insurance no drivers license no green card.
No responsibility no consequences.
I own my Jeep in large part because of a somewhat similar event. An [impolite word] ran a Stop sign at the end of the street he lived on, broadsiding (and totaling) my vehicle and injuring me. The settlement took longer than it should have due to certain inconsistencies with the [impolite word's] paper trail, but a policy was eventually identified and a check finally came my way.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
First and foremost, I'm happy that the OP and his son seem to be fine.

But....almost a 100 posts and not one person asked whether the at-fault driver was hurt.

Have we gotten that jaded as a society?
The driver doesnā€™t have a license to operate a motor vehicle, doesnā€™t have any insurance and very easily couldā€™ve killed a person with their aggressive or distracted driving. No, I couldnā€™t care less if they were hurt. Actually, given the circumstances, I kind of hope they were.

Empathy is a valuable trait for society. This is not an instance where itā€™s deserved. The aggressor clearly has no regard for life. In return, I will not respect theirs.

Bergerboy

First Name
Leigh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Willys
PS - OP, can you please post a link to the forward and rear cams you got?

I drive a Fiat 124 Spider; I want evidence if this were to happen to me.

Thanks!
Aldo - Not to be a Debbie Downer, but if this happened to you in your Spider, the video would likely be most useful in your wrongful death suit. And God Bless your beneficiaries!

Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker

But....almost a 100 posts and not one person asked whether the at-fault driver was hurt.

It's called darwinism, we need more of it.

4x4snowmachinejeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler 4xe White
Occupation
Travel Industry
So sorry to see this,,, looks like the persons tinting in the BMW is not legal.

Beaching631

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, Manual, 35" & Fuel Coverts
I'm just happy your son is ok! You as well obviously, but he was closer to the hit. As others have said, contact a lawyer and I'm not sure how it works by you but I would demand "no-fault" cover an MRI if you have ANY neck or lower back pain from this.

When I pay off my Jeep next year I am getting another full-sized pickup truck. I will likely keep the Jeep as well if I can swing it. But I am likely to lift the truck and stick a big-ass hitch on the end like I used to with my Tundra to diffuse some force. Distracted drivers are one of the most dangerous things on the road.

I also live in New York. I travel all over Long Island, Brooklyn, Queens, and Manhattan constantly. I agree with the other NYC posters: everyone that drives a BMW around here drives like a complete jackass. Add Infiniti coupes as well

sstuner

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Wife and I finally able to watch your video at home(YouTube not allowed at work). We felt your paternal instinct as you immediately responded for your sons safety first. Was that person on their phone?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Maybe an unpopular opinion based on other replies, but I would not buy a sports car or sedan with that little guy in tow. Imagine the outcome if the two of you were in your old Miata?

I used to have a Gen 1 Raptor and never found a garage where it wouldnā€™t fit. (It was stock, not lifted.) Certainly could be a PITA to park, but it fit and thatā€™s a big truck. Point is, I think a stock pickup would fit in your work garage. Surely one of your coworkers must have one? Sierras are damn nice.

Same size as a pickup, but Yukons are also pretty nice (and safe).

If you loved the Jeep, though, why not get another one? Change it up with a different color/trim to keep things spicy.

My $0.02.

Sponsored

Blanco802

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
That was painful to watch. Sincerely hope you and your son don't have any lasting effects, both emotionally and physically. Car shopping is tough at the moment like you already mentioned, but I'd say get what is available and what you'll enjoy. Good luck.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
So who has the title for the BMW? Lawyer up and go after them too.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Sadly I have. Someone with no license, or insurance still driving just doesn't register on my "give a shit" meter anymore. If that would have been my son in the Jeep I would have gotten out, and stomped a mud hole in his ass. But, that may be just me.
And she would end up owning your house. :)

Creeker

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CJ-7, 2020 JLR
Build Thread
Link
Sorry to hear about the collision.
Glad you are OK.
You did a great job of taking care of your son after the collision.
Also glad the rear camera did not show you getting out of the Jeep and having a 'friendly' chat with the dude that caused the collision.

Something wrong with driving a relatively new BMW and not having a license or insurance.

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase

Yes. See the post immediately after yours suggesting a purge-

First, very sorry to see and hear this and very glad that you and son were able to walk away from it.

Second, I've been saying it for years... we need to have a REAL purge day.... That will make the world a better place.
Me? Eh, I could go either way šŸ˜‰
Jeep Wrangler JL My Rubicon was totaled by an uninsured/unlicensed driver. What to try next? (dashcam video included) 12BBEB81-EB7F-4F54-B61E-039A7E8EF3BC

:rock:
Sponsored