Sponsored

My Rubicon was totaled by an uninsured/unlicensed driver. What to try next? (dashcam video included)

JDChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JT Mojave
I'm glad you and your son are okay. That had to be scary to get hit like that and hear him upset.

I didn't read all the comments above but my suggestion, if allowed by Washington law, would be to find out whose BMW that was and look into filing a law suit against them. A parent, friend, co worker... Allowing an uninsured and unlicensed driver to use your vehicle (I would think) has to be negligence on their part.
Sponsored

loubear

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Recon
Occupation
Waste Management
Here is my advice from about the same thing, but a drunk driver with no insurance. Contact an attorney and have your insurance go through them. Make sure your son and you get checked out, as injuries can come on days, weeks, and months later. I had to have back surgery, so that took time for them to diagnose. Insurance will handle all of this, and attorney will help with getting them to pay for car, medical, etc. Insurance in turn will go after this dipsh*t, and they will be paying for the rest of their life because insurance wants their money back. I know you might not feel anything now, but believe me, symptoms showed up months later, and not just physical but psychological too. I am still hesitant to have anybody else drive because of after effects of the wreck.

1644399337049.png
I am going to add that do NOT be afraid that your insurance company is going to raise your rates, or something to that effect. My insurance had to pay out MAJOR amount and I know for damn sure that if I did NOT hire an attorney, that they would have tried everything to not pay for most of what needed to be done. That is why you pay insurance, and that is why you need an attorney. Your insurance does NOT have your best interest in mind when they want to settle and not have to give you what is needed!!!

HeygirlHey

First Name
Jackie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Snazzberry Sahara Altitude (on order)
Just knowing what was going to happen, that was hard to watch. I'm glad you two walked away from that, even knowing all the soreness you'll be facing for sure. Keep a close check on your son, kids sometimes tend to minimize aches and pains because they think it was nothing - or don't want you to worry.

I mean what was she DOING going that fast down the exit ramp and with no apparent plans to stop at all. After this, I'd want nothing more than another rubicon with steel bumpers (and all the cameras). There is nothing worse than having to shop for a car when you had a perfectly fine car (and while there is a shortage of EVERYTHING). Rest up and have your lawyers get you everything you deserve from your insurance company.

jeninchicago

First Name
Jen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Unlimited
I'm so sorry. I hope you and your son are ok. How scary!

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Civil suit! She should be in debt to you for the rest of her life. Wait until closer to the statute of limitations cutoff for your area so that she has time to rebuild her finances, maybe even be better off, then sue. This also gives you plenty of time to uncover any underlying health or mental issues from this event. Go to doctor and get checked out. You and your child may need counseling too after that sort of trauma. Keep all records, videos, and receipts related. The criminal punishment system in your area is obviously broken from what I have seen on the news and a few in person visits. However, a civil suit is another story.
P.S. Make sure any settlement with your insurance does not prevent you from suing her.

Sponsored

knox

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 JK
So sorry to hear this. The same thing happened to me years ago, but by a bus. I had AEV metal bumpers and the rear had the tire carrier holding a 35. I was pushed into the car in front as well but the jeep held up much better than yours. That rear bumper, while needing to be replaced, smashed the bus front end pretty good. In the future, you might want to think about going that route.

Red Willy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Beach High Tide, 2021 2 dr. Willys stick
Occupation
Professional Nobody
I installed the Blackvue DR900X 2 ch cameras (front windshield and rear on the roll bar) on my Rubicon and removed them when traded in for install on the Willys, which I did a few months ago, and I'm glad I did. Video is pretty well undisputable in case of an issue even parked.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
I was hit by an uninsured, unlicensed driver back in the day...but he was driving a rusty, old Toyota.
Add this to the evidence against BMW drivers.
Really sucks, but like you said it could be worse. Hopefully you have uninsured motorist on your policy.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Holy F*+k!

How does a bitch in a BMW is not even insured...?!? How do you explain that? What was she staring at to ram into you at full speed? Her phone...?!? Her f*+king t!ts?!? :mad:

Thank God you got the evidence.

Get a Gladiator; it adds an extra foot of frame between your son and the next b*tch that comes barreling down a ramp without brakes...or insurance.

Hope you get things resolved.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
PS - OP, can you please post a link to the forward and rear cams you got?

I drive a Fiat 124 Spider; I want evidence if this were to happen to me.

Thanks!

Sponsored

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Civil suit! She should be in debt to you for the rest of her life. Wait until closer to the statute of limitations cutoff for your area so that she has time to rebuild her finances, maybe even be better off, then sue. This also gives you plenty of time to uncover any underlying health or mental issues from this event. Go to doctor and get checked out. You and your child may need counseling too after that sort of trauma. Keep all records, videos, and receipts related. The criminal punishment system in your area is obviously broken from what I have seen on the news and a few in person visits. However, a civil suit is another story.
P.S. Make sure any settlement with your insurance does not prevent you from suing her.
True but the moron probably has no assets so I’d not hold my breath waiting for $$. Certainly glad you and the boy are ok. Terrible wreck and I’d bet my farm either a phone or drugs (or both) were involved. Stop and say a prayer of thanks that you are both ok and weren’t in a little car like a Miata when this happened. Say what you will sitting up high on a steel frame is always a good thing. I’d go back with a Jeep, get whatever model/features you want that the wrecked one didn’t have. Look for one already built to eliminate a long wait-likely have to travel to get it by fly n drives not a bad way to go…. Good luck,

reallynervous

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon 392XR, 2015 GC Summit
Wow brother! So glad you and your son are doing ok.

Cjanak21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Cyber Security Consultant
Makes me want to get dash cams installed now.
That's the first thing I added... and a week later got in an accident and totaled my Jeep :/ (but I got in on camera at least haha)
Sponsored