First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Financial Services
I’m just surveying people to see.. Would you guys be interested in buying this product..

Plastic side steps that look quite like the mopar side steps but are removable and can attach to the rubicon rails. So that when you go to a trail, you can detach them and put them in the back and can reattach them back to the rubicon rail once done with the trail.
This sounds like an interesting concept. I wouldn't have been interested because I wanted something beefier that the stock rails; however, there are plenty of Rubicon owners out there who will not ever remove the stock rails. I think it would come down to aesthetics and how rigid they are once attached.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I’m just surveying people to see.. Would you guys be interested in buying this product..

Plastic side steps that look quite like the mopar side steps but are removable and can attach to the rubicon rails. So that when you go to a trail, you can detach them and put them in the back and can reattach them back to the rubicon rail once done with the trail.
some folks may find this a great product and buy it. I would not. Why? (personal opinion follows)

1) I think that plastic running boards look both terrible and look designed to let momma easily get out of the Jeep at the mall. to me, they scream “Suburban Sam or Suburban Sally”.
2) if you made a detachable step out of something other than plastic (metal) it would be too heavy, I think.
3) a detachable step will take time to attach and detach over and over and over. Why not just buy a body mounted (Same holes as Rubi rails) steel step slider and not have to keep putting on and taking off the detachable ones?

I have the Roam frame mount rails on my JLUR. I don’t need them for rocks. I needed a step and I liked the looks (and the frame mount do provide more protection if my skills slam me into something inappropriate). “Looks tough” says the wife. If you could make plastic detachable steps “look tough”, I would still question why I would want to attach and detach them over and over.

just my opinion......

DizzyIzzy

First Name
Izzy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 AEV JL370 - Hellayella JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
some folks may find this a great product and buy it. I would not. Why? (personal opinion follows)

1) I think that plastic running boards look both terrible and look designed to let momma easily get out of the Jeep at the mall. to me, they scream “Suburban Sam or Suburban Sally”.
2) if you made a detachable step out of something other than plastic (metal) it would be too heavy, I think.
3) a detachable step will take time to attach and detach over and over and over. Why not just buy a body mounted (Same holes as Rubi rails) steel step slider and not have to keep putting on and taking off the detachable ones?

I have the Roam frame mount rails on my JLUR. I don’t need them for rocks. I needed a step and I liked the looks (and the frame mount do provide more protection if my skills slam me into something inappropriate). “Looks tough” says the wife. If you could make plastic detachable steps “look tough”, I would still question why I would want to attach and detach them over and over.

just my opinion......
That's a good question. The reason for it is simple, cost. The rubicon already comes ready with rock rails, which is more than adequate enough for 90% of the owners. The only thing missing is a side step for family etc. Also, the side steps help a lot to get things from the roof, or to open and close the soft top. And you don't have to toss the stock rock rails away and spend $500 to $1000 to get another set of rock rail. This one has to be priced between $150 to $200 and look good. Otherwise, no one will be interested.

BadAssBumbleBee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Rubicon, 2010 Callaway SC572 Camaro SS
That's a good question. The reason for it is simple, cost. The rubicon already comes ready with rock rails, which is more than adequate enough for 90% of the owners. The only thing missing is a side step for family etc. Also, the side steps help a lot to get things from the roof, or to open and close the soft top. And you don't have to toss the stock rock rails away and spend $500 to $1000 to get another set of rock rail. This one has to be priced between $150 to $200 and look good. Otherwise, no one will be interested.

These may not be everyone's taste, but for less than $100 Canadian including tax and shipping, I bolted two of the Lund side steps (P/N 26410025) to my Rubi rails, and they work great for my needs, a short girlfriend LOL.

I drilled 4 holes into the bottom side of each of the Rubi rails, inserted 4 M8 rivnuts per side and bolted the steps on using the grade 8.8 bolts that came with the steps.

It takes me about 5-6 minutes to remove or install each step if I ever need to.

IMG_20200411_132130.jpg

IMG_20200411_132144.jpg

IMG_20200411_132241.jpg

IMG_20200609_183735.jpg

crackrk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU 6-speed
I have the Roam 4-door body mounted rails. I will say even the body mounted rails are very beefy and will hold up to dropping the jeep on a rock. The line-x coating from Roam on the other hand is a different story.

1E86B226-3A1E-43A7-8C51-371914900F42.jpeg

Sponsored

Kian

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR EcoDiesel Billet Silver

Yes!!

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Jay, you did a great job spraying yours. I should have done the same. I rolled on a Raptor finish. The spray job on yours looks much better.

I have to say, I was a little disappointed that these would need a finish applied. After reading all the reviews of rust and having a TJ in the fleet, I am a little rust shy.

Renhilio

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
How did your coating hold up over the last few months? Any adhesion problems with the hercurline?

OP
OP
JW12

JW12

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-Door Rubicon, 2020 Gladiator Overland
Occupation
Financial Services
How did your coating hold up over the last few months? Any adhesion problems with the hercurline?
So far the coating is holding up great with no issues with adhesion. I did do a thorough sanding to remove the slick finish before spraying and I wiped them down with lacquer thinner to get any oils from my hands off of them.
Sponsored