JW12

First Name
Jay
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2-Door JL Rubicon, 2020 Jeep Gladiator Overland, 2018 Lexus RC350
Occupation
Financial Services
So, I pulled the trigger and bought a set of the frame mounted ROAM Offroad Sliders/Steps for my 2-Door JL for $499. I think they are $699 for the 4-Door. There are a few write ups about them already, but I still see a lot of questions as well, so I thought I’d share my thoughts from unpacking through install. This won’t be an install thread, but more information driven. I’m going to install the LED’s also, which I will also include information about when I get there.

1) So, I have just recently unpacked them with thoughts of rust on my mind. There are several forum threads about rust issues with these and I can see why. In my opinion, the coating is super thin. They were well packaged/wrapped, but out of the box from handling and shipping there are very small spots showing bare metal. The coating on the welds is especially thin. I feel that these are absolutely going to rust over time. To limit this, I am going to spray Herculine them. I just did a test run on the inserts that go behind the ROAM logo by sanding the gloss surface finish off with 120 and Spraying them. I like the texture, so I am going to proceed.

030BA6AD-11DB-4829-8AF9-26431E775017.jpeg

2) Aside from the coating, they are very well constructed and solid. They feel substantial with a good amount of weight to them. The construction should hold up well while off-roading and everyday use.

3) There are no instructions which I find unfortunate, but a quick Forum search brought up a few helpful install threads like this one.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...-2-door-mk2-install-guide-revision-2-0.26197/

4) I’m going to continue to prep and Herculine them. More pics and info to come soon. In the meantime here are a few additional pics with the out of the box coating.
DBFA590A-33D1-418A-9C10-1FBE1FC762BF.jpeg

3F10C8BD-C07D-4C13-A9C3-74A142C9924C.jpeg

track.n.trail

First Name
Owen
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Engineer
Looks good! Mine are being shipped currently. Probably won't be spraying them with anything extra since I'm in CA but we'll see.

Advertisement

Advertisement