My Replacement 2019 JLU Good Observations

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport s, 4door. 1999 TJ Sport
OK. So some of you might remember my 2018 JLUS was plagued with porous welds, incomplete welds and slag in addition to some other issues. So Friday, I picked up my 2019 JLUSS. In the first 200 miles we've put on it in a day (plus my shake down on Wednesday both my wife and I have noticed some interesting things which I will describe below. To begin with I have to say that my Regional Customer Service Manager really came through for us. The 2019 was hotlisted and received extra inspections at the factory and upon arrival to make sure it was right and tight when I got it. The 2019 is configured similarly to my 2018 except for the 7inch radio in the 2019 and its other standard features. Both had Auto trans, 3.6L, Antislip axel, Hardtop.

Observations
1. I came in on Wednesday to inspect the welds and take the jeep on a skakedown drive to check the steering. The welds are very very good. I am thoroughly impressed. Very little porosity, good looking beads, and minimal slag. I still think that they should be brushing these frames before electrocoat but I think this is as good as it is going to get. There was one weld that had been touched up (probably during one of those extra inspections) and I suggest anyone with a 2019 should examine theirs. It is the back most weld for the front drivers upper control arm. The only other issue I saw after spending about an hour and a half examining the welds was some weld drip on the bottom of the frame rail under the passenger front door. I had Fort Collins Jeep Grind the drips down to weld height and repaint as they would have interfered with my rock slider installation. I'd have done it myself but its a bit cold to be painting in an unheated garage this time of year.

2. Tires. The 2019 JLUSS came with Goodyear Wrangler AT tires which IMHO is a massive upgrade over the Bridgestone AT that I had on the 2018. With the Bridgestone's I could never get them to feel right no matter what air pressure I ran. They seemed to lose traction easily and also may have contributed to some strange handling characteristics that I was experiencing when going straight through roundabouts (simluating rapid s-turns) where on exit the 2018 JLUS would undertake this weird little Shimmy in the rear end. It was disconcerting since it felt kinda like when your rear slides out due to black ice.

3. Suspension. Now the Sport and Sport-S are supposed to have the same suspension but I feel like the 2019 JLUSS is slightly stiffer than the 2018 Sport. I also know this isn't my imagination as before I brought it up to my wife, she brought it up to me. The 2019 JLUSS suspension just feels better which might also contribute to its better handling than the 2018 JLUS. I would say that the stiffness is between a Sport and Rubicon. I wish I would have taken a pic but the gap between the top of the tire and the bottom of the fender is a 1/4-1/2 inch bigger on the 2019 JLUSS. I cannot Immagine that my 2019 JLUS sagged that much in just 10k miles.

4. Taking #2 and #3 into account the 2019 JLUS just feels better planted to the ground and more predictible which is good and what we want. I found the 2018 JLUS with the Bridgestones rather unpredictable....not as unpredictable as our 1999 Lifted TJ but still very unpredictable and difficult to keep in a lane.

5. The 7" radio. So far the 7 inch radio has performed swimmingly. I am still trying to work out how to get android auto to display my nav (haven't had time to really configure it properly) but other than that everything works as it should. It feels like this head unit drives the speakers better than the Horrid 5" head unit in the 2018 JLUS. We had nothing but problems with the 5" unit. Sadly I have to say that the 7" unit is worth every penny simply to avoid the 5" unit and its poorly planned system.

6. Even though I didn't order the freedom top bags it came with them

7. Spent Saturday adding my equipment to the JLUSS. I can for certain say that the following parts made for the 2018 fit the 2019 perfectly: LOD signature slider, The mopar bug/air deflector [these are incredibly durable...the one on my TJ has lasted 20 years without a crack including half its life in frigid northern Minnesota], the 7inch radio screen protector, and the Drawtite Hitch [i did have to dremel one of the holes on the frame a tiny bit to get one bolt in...probably wouldn't have been an issue had I removed the muffler]. I also added the quadratic full coverage sill guards instead of the mopar one's this time. On a very nice note...Prestige Jeep who we bought the 2018 JLUS from owed me some credit so I got the replacement screen protector ($20) and the replacement bug/air deflector ($85). When I went to pick them up my bill was supposed to be $75 but the parts guy just gave them to me for free since I had gone through so many issues with the 2018. Was a nice guy.

8. Looks like the 2019 come with a much cheaper drawstring bag for your ownership materials than the 2018 did. The dealer let us keep the 2018 one since the 2019 one is crappy.

Overall we are very happy with the 2019 JLUSS in the short time we've had it.

Updates
Posts #10
Sponsored

Last edited:

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
That sucks that the first one wasn't up to standards, but hopefully this one will be problem free for you. It sucks when someone get a bad build, but it does happen. Kudos for giving it another shot.

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Forgot to mention that the ac system in the 2019 jluss seems better. The 2018 ac is smelled moldy at startup and had a nasty habit of blowing ice cold air out of the glovebox at highway speed even though the heat was on. Was very strange. No issues so far with 2019. Knocks on wood.

Sponsored

Gemball2018

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL
You mentioned extra inspections, at this point shouldn’t they all be inspected thoroughly. If they pulled yours and had to address weld issues again then they should be sorting this at the source where the frames are being built. My 2019 arrival is imminent I will be be giving a really good once over before accepting it. Glad you are happy with your new one

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You mentioned extra inspections, at this point shouldn’t they all be inspected thoroughly. If they pulled yours and had to address weld issues again then they should be sorting this at the source where the frames are being built. My 2019 arrival is imminent I will be be giving a really good once over before accepting it. Glad you are happy with your new one
Supposedly they pulled my frame for an extra inspection before assembly I was pretty adamant that I get a good frame and didn't have to go through hell again. This was agreed on before the track bar bracket recall and I agreed to pull out of a news story on the frame issues. Upon arrival it was checked by corporate and dealer and then a day or 2 later by me. Nearly every weld was marked as inspected by various colors. I can honestly say that the welds are great.

That said I totally agree with you that every frame coming out of the tower plat should be getting a thorough inspection before assembly. Nobody should be getting substandard welds.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Great to hear that most everything has met your expectations, mine zipped thru D1 to JS in 1 day so hopefully my welds are fine, can't pick it up until next month so we'll see. So now I have a crappy accessory bag to look forward to, man, such a buzz kill :)

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Great to hear that most everything has met your expectations, mine zipped thru D1 to JS in 1 day so hopefully my welds are fine, can't pick it up until next month so we'll see. So now I have a crappy accessory bag to look forward to, man, such a buzz kill :)
At least that is the only thing I found of lesser quality. :)

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Update, 5 days and 160 miles in I ran into my first warranty issue this morning. I was checking my air pressure and noticed that a bolt was hanging out of the bumper near the wheel. Basically a gorilla at the factory (or gorilla robot) cross threaded and over torqued several of the bolts that hold those goofy euro styled air deflectors making the insert rip out of the front bumper melting some of the plastic. Took it over too the dealer and they will warranty it no problem. I wouldn't really care but I was planning on cutting those euro fenders down and reinstalling so I would have a cover for the backside of my fogs. Can't really do that now. The bolts were the 2 inner most top one's on both sides (which made it a PITA to remove the deflectors...had to wedge a curved needle nose in there to latch onto the insert to prevent it from spinning) and the lower outer most bolts which were spun, melted the bumper plastic and allow the bolt to stick out. So I guess this is one additional thing to check on delivery. I would post a video but the site doesn't allow MP4 file extensions.

Sponsored

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18’ Toyota 4Runner
I dont think any changes were made to the suspension, A/C etc. It could be the difference in Tires. My 2018 JLU Sport has been trouble free and no mold smell etc. But I do have a early JULY Build.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Supposedly they pulled my frame for an extra inspection before assembly I was pretty adamant that I get a good frame and didn't have to go through hell again. This was agreed on before the track bar bracket recall and I agreed to pull out of a news story on the frame issues. Upon arrival it was checked by corporate and dealer and then a day or 2 later by me. Nearly every weld was marked as inspected by various colors. I can honestly say that the welds are great.

That said I totally agree with you that every frame coming out of the tower plat should be getting a thorough inspection before assembly. Nobody should be getting substandard welds.
So no porous welds at all or minimal and up to standards vs the non-stop porosity we saw on your 18?

OP
OP

Capt-Zoom

First Name
Capt-Zoom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So no porous welds at all or minimal and up to standards vs the non-stop porosity we saw on your 18?
Very little porosity. Still some slag but very minor.....withing what I would expect. Welds look more like the 18 jk which I thought had great welds across the samples I looked under.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
Very little porosity. Still some slag but very minor.....withing what I would expect. Welds look more like the 18 jk which I thought had great welds across the samples I looked under.
So basically all new JL's have some porosity, and the jeep you had with the issues was over and above the accepted level or standards.....

Firecracker18

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sport S Jeep, Honda Lawnmower
Occupation
Commercial Insurance
Forgot to mention that the ac system in the 2019 jluss seems better. The 2018 ac is smelled moldy at startup and had a nasty habit of blowing ice cold air out of the glovebox at highway speed even though the heat was on. Was very strange. No issues so far with 2019. Knocks on wood.
If you ever experience that again, and you could, check to ensure the cabin filter is installed correctly and the little door is actually shut and sealed. An old Saturn of ours had a tendency to not want to shut all the way - or it looked shut but wasn't sealed unless all the planets lined up perfectly. Ha ha.

What happens is the fresh air comes in and hits the filter. Most of the air goes through the filter but some goes straight in the glove box thus causing that. It's the same concept as my 65 Mustang I had in the 80's and forgetting to close the fresh air vents until a freezing cold morning came along. Every car I've owned or helped with had the basic same set up behind the glove box.
Sponsored