My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build

Pootytanger

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
I’m installing them now. They are very well built. My only concern is winters in Alaska.
I did the extra skid plate also. Theres already some rust on it, 10 months from install. Ive been in Michigan and kentucky salt. The base sliders look fine, just the skip plate. I’ll just sand them some and spray some rustoleum and call it a day. Still very happy.

Removing your body bolts is scary, people take about them breaking. RSE advised I unscrew 2 turns, then screw in 1 turn, and repeat until they’re out. It rethreads the loctite and keeps them from breaking. Slow but beats breaking one (expensive disaster). Good luck 👍🏼
Sponsored

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
I did the extra skid plate also.....Removing your body bolts is scary...
I don’t plan to need the extra skid plate plus I don’t want the weight. This thing is HEAVY!!

I’ve done 9 hemi conversions with removing the body from the frame. I never had a problem or a broken bolt. I couldn’t imagine the difficulty of removing a busted body mount bolt. The RSE install instructions mention the loosen and tighten idea.

They went on great. I don’t know when you did yours but I was very happy to see they had the wires that went through the floor to the step pinned only. Meaning the plug got installed after they went through the floor. Just insert the wire into the plug and click. All done. Even color marked the plug so kind of made it idiot proof.

I found my passenger side closes solid and like it’s closing onto rubber bumpers. The drivers side is more of a clunk, like metal on metal or something similar. I’ll look into it more closely soon.

Waiting on a few last things, like hing steps and some camping gear. I’m almost ready to head back to Alaska.

COME ON SPRING!!

Last edited:

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I'm not new to the Jeep world I've build quite a few rigs to include Hemi JK's. I ordered a 392 JL but backed out of the deal after the dealership pulled a fast one. Decided on going with a 2021 Red Diesel instead.

I've done the hard rock crawling and all that comes with it (build, break, repair and repeat). I've also done the overloading thing pulling an Adventure Trailer (Chaser model) and that's where this Jeep is going.

Ordered up a new Diesel with Paul (PaulwithJeep here on the forums). From moment one, he was awesome. Extremely fair, honest, and helpful. Dwayne Lane's in Everett, WA was amazing. Everyone there went way above and beyond what I wold consider good customer service.

As I live in Anchorage, flying down to get the new Jeep was the only option for me. Anything for a trip. But this trip turned into a logistic nightmare. I started buying stuff for the 392 the day I ordered it in November so my garage in AnchorageI had a crap load of stuff waiting to install. Things are very expensive to ship up to Alaska so when the plan started coming together to go to Everette to get the Jeep, I had an idea.

A very good friend in Colorado offered up his shop to transform the Jeep. So what I did was have the roof top tent, roof rack, remote battery setup with ARB dual compressor, Trailrax and Rotopax, and Goosegear (platform, camp kitchen, and drawer) all sent to his place.

As I had lights, winch, an AEV rear bumper and tire carrier all sitting in my garage, I wanted to get all of that to Colorado too. Best kept secret in the airline world is freight. I had that 480 lbs of stuff, plus all my travel and camping gear palletized and sent on Alaska Airlines flight to Seatle. Get this, $359 to have it send down. Can't beat that!!! Now I can do absolutely everything at one time, play around with it then head home via the Alaska Highway and be self sufficient.

The pallet:

IMG_0649.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

26 Feb - Fly to Seattle
27 Feb - Pick up the Jeep from the Dealership and get palletized boxes from Alaska Airlines
28 Feb - Do some road trip prep with Jeep
1-7 Mar - See some friends, drive to Colorado via Las Vegas
8-14 Mar (Today) - Build the Jeep.

The Rubi is fully loaded to include:

Off-Road Camera
Engine Block Heater
Black 3-Piece Hard Top
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
All-Weather Floor Mats
Cargo Group w/ Trail Rail System (ended up totally removing this)
Hardtop Headliner
Perforated Leather Black
Steel Bumper Group (removed the rear)
SafetyAdvanced Safety Group
Safety Group
8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group
LED Lighting Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Cold Weather Group
All packages except smoke & half doors

What I have installed in the last week here in Colorado:

Mopar bumper plates and stuff for the winch
Warn Zeon 10k Platinum Winch
Factor 55 Prolink for the winch
AEV Rear Bumper, tire carrier with Fuel Caddy (YES I DID GET ONE!! in their first lottery)
Mopar 7" LED aux lights and their bumper light bar
Rhino Rack Backbone rack system (3 HD Bars instead of the platform)
Trailgate tailgate table
Goose Gear Platform system
Goose Gear Camp Kitchen 2.3 (I already have a Engle 45l fridge/freezer)
Partner Steel 22" stove
American Adventure Labs Dual ARB Compressor mount and Odyssey battery tray (for the rear cubby)
Amercian Adventure Labs ARB Compressor Remote Kit
REDARC BCDC 1225D - In-Vehicle DC-DC Battery Charger for the remote battery
1500 watt inverter with remote 110 plugs in the rear of the JL.
Trailrax and Rotopax setup

Standing by to load up:
Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 Roof Top Tent
Eezi-Awn 270 Manta Awning

So for the last week I've worked on this from wake up to bed time. More runs to the hardward/auto part stores than I count and very cut up and bruised hands has got it done. And done RIGHT!

So here you go.....

The new JLURD the night before I picked it up.

IMG_0653.JPG

I picked up my wife's bike that was in storage in Vegas and towed it to Colorado. (550lbs or so in the back and the trailer tongue has it squatting a bit).

IMG_0692.jpeg

The completed inside (what in there is listed above):

IMG_0725.jpeg

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMG_0724.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

What so many may be interested in is the AEV rear bumper and Tire carrier. I also added their 10.1 gal aux tank.

IMG_0763.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0766.jpeg

The front end:

IMG_0762.jpeg

Roof rack and Trailpax:

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

Motorola GMRS Radio installed now too. Used their "Ghost" antenna and added a magnetic mic mount.

Under the passenger side of the dash, where the LED floor light wire is attached, that screw and hold is used to the mount the radio bracket. Worked like an absolute charm. The radio has to go in an angle which worked perfectly for the antenna wire to come out the rear of the radio and the speaker is facing down so it can be heard perfectly.

8EA5CB93-7892-4EA0-B96F-DDBF0CC50B8A.JPG

362CAA3E-94B2-4B58-B345-EC11099E7597.JPG

3CF04F05-A346-4DA8-8B55-C524D5743470.JPG

What I have waiting to go on are AEV Borah wheels and AEV 2.5" lift. Am doing the lift due to the weight of the Jeep (their lift is made for rigs just like this). It's heavy and I don't have the tent or Awning mounted yet. Only going to 35's as I plan to Overland with this Jeep and 37's are really a waste for my purposes.

I've had the Jeep for two weeks now and drove it 2215 miles the first week. All of it was with about 800lbs loaded and the last half was also pulling 2,000 lbs. Mostly highway. I averaged 24 mpg without towing and 18 mpg towing. Love the diesel!!!

I will post up pics when the lift/tires/tent/awning have been installed. Then when I drive it back to Alaska, I'll take some pics and report back how it does when it's fully loaded and how it works out camping and all that.

EDIT 3/26: AEV 2.5" for the diesel installed. Took of 5 hours. 37's few days.

IMG_0838.jpeg

As AEV's fuel caddy is/was designed for GASOLINE (Diesel's were not around when they designed them)...I had a friend who does graphics for a living make me a new sticker to cover up AEV's GASOLINE sticker. She's NAILED IT!!

IMG_0844.JPG

Tires mounted on the Borah’s. They go on tonight after we get the roof top tent mounted.
DBE48454-7134-4FFD-BD9E-D509A3CCC4D2.jpeg

F5E2CFED-AA4F-41E7-A7E5-013BAE924CDD.jpeg
She’s all put together. Put the tent, awning, tires and rims on today. Tomorrow I hope to open everything up.
D3A0C28A-9075-402D-9EBE-782E915F19A8.jpeg

1D86570A-D95B-4068-9A53-B9C18070014D.jpeg

E0815687-83CD-45A6-A755-072E86C0BAE1.jpeg

20E95E4C-2171-4E11-B834-FBC4C6131C92.jpeg
Nice build!

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
I'm not new to the Jeep world I've build quite a few rigs to include Hemi JK's. I ordered a 392 JL but backed out of the deal after the dealership pulled a fast one. Decided on going with a 2021 Red Diesel instead.

I've done the hard rock crawling and all that comes with it (build, break, repair and repeat). I've also done the overloading thing pulling an Adventure Trailer (Chaser model) and that's where this Jeep is going.

Ordered up a new Diesel with Paul (PaulwithJeep here on the forums). From moment one, he was awesome. Extremely fair, honest, and helpful. Dwayne Lane's in Everett, WA was amazing. Everyone there went way above and beyond what I wold consider good customer service.

As I live in Anchorage, flying down to get the new Jeep was the only option for me. Anything for a trip. But this trip turned into a logistic nightmare. I started buying stuff for the 392 the day I ordered it in November so my garage in AnchorageI had a crap load of stuff waiting to install. Things are very expensive to ship up to Alaska so when the plan started coming together to go to Everette to get the Jeep, I had an idea.

A very good friend in Colorado offered up his shop to transform the Jeep. So what I did was have the roof top tent, roof rack, remote battery setup with ARB dual compressor, Trailrax and Rotopax, and Goosegear (platform, camp kitchen, and drawer) all sent to his place.

As I had lights, winch, an AEV rear bumper and tire carrier all sitting in my garage, I wanted to get all of that to Colorado too. Best kept secret in the airline world is freight. I had that 480 lbs of stuff, plus all my travel and camping gear palletized and sent on Alaska Airlines flight to Seatle. Get this, $359 to have it send down. Can't beat that!!! Now I can do absolutely everything at one time, play around with it then head home via the Alaska Highway and be self sufficient.

The pallet:

IMG_0649.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

26 Feb - Fly to Seattle
27 Feb - Pick up the Jeep from the Dealership and get palletized boxes from Alaska Airlines
28 Feb - Do some road trip prep with Jeep
1-7 Mar - See some friends, drive to Colorado via Las Vegas
8-14 Mar (Today) - Build the Jeep.

The Rubi is fully loaded to include:

Off-Road Camera
Engine Block Heater
Black 3-Piece Hard Top
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
All-Weather Floor Mats
Cargo Group w/ Trail Rail System (ended up totally removing this)
Hardtop Headliner
Perforated Leather Black
Steel Bumper Group (removed the rear)
SafetyAdvanced Safety Group
Safety Group
8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group
LED Lighting Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Cold Weather Group
All packages except smoke & half doors

What I have installed in the last week here in Colorado:

Mopar bumper plates and stuff for the winch
Warn Zeon 10k Platinum Winch
Factor 55 Prolink for the winch
AEV Rear Bumper, tire carrier with Fuel Caddy (YES I DID GET ONE!! in their first lottery)
Mopar 7" LED aux lights and their bumper light bar
Rhino Rack Backbone rack system (3 HD Bars instead of the platform)
Trailgate tailgate table
Goose Gear Platform system
Goose Gear Camp Kitchen 2.3 (I already have a Engle 45l fridge/freezer)
Partner Steel 22" stove
American Adventure Labs Dual ARB Compressor mount and Odyssey battery tray (for the rear cubby)
Amercian Adventure Labs ARB Compressor Remote Kit
REDARC BCDC 1225D - In-Vehicle DC-DC Battery Charger for the remote battery
1500 watt inverter with remote 110 plugs in the rear of the JL.
Trailrax and Rotopax setup

Standing by to load up:
Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 Roof Top Tent
Eezi-Awn 270 Manta Awning

So for the last week I've worked on this from wake up to bed time. More runs to the hardward/auto part stores than I count and very cut up and bruised hands has got it done. And done RIGHT!

So here you go.....

The new JLURD the night before I picked it up.

IMG_0653.JPG

I picked up my wife's bike that was in storage in Vegas and towed it to Colorado. (550lbs or so in the back and the trailer tongue has it squatting a bit).

IMG_0692.jpeg

The completed inside (what in there is listed above):

IMG_0725.jpeg

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMG_0724.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

What so many may be interested in is the AEV rear bumper and Tire carrier. I also added their 10.1 gal aux tank.

IMG_0763.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0766.jpeg

The front end:

IMG_0762.jpeg

Roof rack and Trailpax:

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

Motorola GMRS Radio installed now too. Used their "Ghost" antenna and added a magnetic mic mount.

Under the passenger side of the dash, where the LED floor light wire is attached, that screw and hold is used to the mount the radio bracket. Worked like an absolute charm. The radio has to go in an angle which worked perfectly for the antenna wire to come out the rear of the radio and the speaker is facing down so it can be heard perfectly.

8EA5CB93-7892-4EA0-B96F-DDBF0CC50B8A.JPG

362CAA3E-94B2-4B58-B345-EC11099E7597.JPG

3CF04F05-A346-4DA8-8B55-C524D5743470.JPG

What I have waiting to go on are AEV Borah wheels and AEV 2.5" lift. Am doing the lift due to the weight of the Jeep (their lift is made for rigs just like this). It's heavy and I don't have the tent or Awning mounted yet. Only going to 35's as I plan to Overland with this Jeep and 37's are really a waste for my purposes.

I've had the Jeep for two weeks now and drove it 2215 miles the first week. All of it was with about 800lbs loaded and the last half was also pulling 2,000 lbs. Mostly highway. I averaged 24 mpg without towing and 18 mpg towing. Love the diesel!!!

I will post up pics when the lift/tires/tent/awning have been installed. Then when I drive it back to Alaska, I'll take some pics and report back how it does when it's fully loaded and how it works out camping and all that.

EDIT 3/26: AEV 2.5" for the diesel installed. Took of 5 hours. 37's few days.

IMG_0838.jpeg

As AEV's fuel caddy is/was designed for GASOLINE (Diesel's were not around when they designed them)...I had a friend who does graphics for a living make me a new sticker to cover up AEV's GASOLINE sticker. She's NAILED IT!!

IMG_0844.JPG

Tires mounted on the Borah’s. They go on tonight after we get the roof top tent mounted.
DBE48454-7134-4FFD-BD9E-D509A3CCC4D2.jpeg

F5E2CFED-AA4F-41E7-A7E5-013BAE924CDD.jpeg
She’s all put together. Put the tent, awning, tires and rims on today. Tomorrow I hope to open everything up.
D3A0C28A-9075-402D-9EBE-782E915F19A8.jpeg

1D86570A-D95B-4068-9A53-B9C18070014D.jpeg

E0815687-83CD-45A6-A755-072E86C0BAE1.jpeg

20E95E4C-2171-4E11-B834-FBC4C6131C92.jpeg
Interesting.... I don't trust dealerships any more. I have a JLURe on order and have only bought a winch for it which can always go on another Jeep. Sorry your guy welched on his deal. I'm leaving the door open to walk away....

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I'm back in Alaska. Jeep is built and all done. I've edited the original post so it's the most up to date. What a beast!!!

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I failed to follow on after I installed the Banks stuff. I'll keep this short....

HOLY SHIT BATMAN!!! What an absolute blast!! Nuf said!

Famof5jeep

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
I failed to follow on after I installed the Banks stuff. I'll keep this short....

HOLY SHIT BATMAN!!! What an absolute blast!! Nuf said!
Id love to hear more. How difficult/smooth was the derringer install and how different is it to drive?
Sponsored