Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red 2021 JLURD "The Big D"
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Supervisor, Air Traffic Control. RETIRED at 51 baby!!!
I'm not new to the Jeep world I've build quite a few rigs to include Hemi JK's. I ordered a 392 JL but backed out of the deal after the dealership pulled a fast one. Decided on going with a 2021 Red Diesel instead.

I've done the hard rock crawling and all that comes with it (build, break, repair and repeat). I've also done the overloading thing pulling an Adventure Trailer (Chaser model) and that's where this Jeep is going.

Ordered up a new Diesel with Paul (PaulwithJeep here on the forums). From moment one, he was awesome. Extremely fair, honest, and helpful. Dwayne Lane's in Everett, WA was amazing. Everyone there went way above and beyond what I wold consider good customer service.

As I live in Anchorage, flying down to get the new Jeep was the only option for me. Anything for a trip. But this trip turned into a logistical nightmare. I started buying stuff for the 392 the day I ordered it in November so my garage in Anchorage had a crap load of stuff waiting to install. Things are very expensive to ship up to Alaska so when the plan started coming together to go to Everette to get the Jeep, I had an idea.

A very good friend in Colorado offered up his shop to transform the Jeep. So what I did was have the roof top tent, roof rack, remote battery setup with ARB dual compressor, Trailrax and Rotopax, and Goosegear (platform, camp kitchen, and drawer) and loads of other little things all sent to his place.

As I had lights, winch, an AEV rear bumper and tire carrier all sitting in my garage, I wanted to get all of that to Colorado too. Best kept secret in the airline world is Airline Freight. I had that 480 lbs of stuff, plus all my travel and camping gear palletized and sent on Alaska Airlines flight to Seatle. Get this, $359 to have it send down. Can't beat that!!! Now I can do absolutely everything at one time, play around with it then head home via the Alaska Highway and be self sufficient.

The pallet:

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0649

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0648

26 Feb - Fly to Seattle
27 Feb - Pick up the Jeep from the Dealership and get palletized boxes from Alaska Airlines
28 Feb - Do some road trip prep with Jeep
1-7 Mar - See some friends, drive to Colorado via Las Vegas
8-14 Mar (Today) - Build the Jeep.

The Rubi is fully loaded to include:

Off-Road Camera
Engine Block Heater
Black 3-Piece Hard Top
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
All-Weather Floor Mats
Cargo Group w/ Trail Rail System (ended up totally removing this)
Hardtop Headliner
Perforated Leather Black
Steel Bumper Group (removed the rear)
SafetyAdvanced Safety Group
Safety Group
8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group
LED Lighting Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Cold Weather Group
All packages except smoke & half doors

Here's an overall list of what's going onto the Jeep:

Mopar bumper plates and stuff for the winch
Warn Zeon 10k Platinum Winch
Factor 55 Prolink for the winch
AEV Rear Bumper, tire carrier with Fuel Caddy (YES I DID GET ONE!! in their first lottery)
Mopar 7" LED aux lights and their bumper light bar
Rhino Rack Backbone rack system (3 HD Bars instead of the platform)
Trailgate tailgate table
Goose Gear Platform system
Goose Gear Camp Kitchen 2.3 (I already have a Engle 45l fridge/freezer)
Partner Steel 22" stove
American Adventure Labs Dual ARB Compressor mount and Odyssey battery tray (for the rear cubby)
Amercian Adventure Labs Dual ARB Compressor Remote Kit
REDARC BCDC 1225D - In-Vehicle DC-DC Battery Charger for the remote battery
1500 watt inverter with remote 110 plugs in the rear of the JL.
Trailrax and Rotopax setup
Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 Roof Top Tent
Eezi-Awn 270 Manta Awning
Rocksliding Engineering Slider Steps
Metal Cloak Hing steps
Motorola MXT275 Radio
I'm sure I'm forgetting something....

The first week of the build was from wake up to bed time. More runs to the hardward/auto part stores than I count and very cut up and bruised hands has got it done. And done RIGHT!

So here you go.....

The new JLURD the night before I picked it up.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0653.JPG

I picked up my wife's bike that was in storage in Vegas and towed it to Colorado. (550lbs or so in the back and the trailer tongue has it squatting a bit).

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0692

The completed inside (what in there is listed above):

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0725

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0712

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0724

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0729

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0739

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0740

What so many may be interested in is the AEV rear bumper and Tire carrier. I also added their 10.2 gal aux tank.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0763

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0764

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0759

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0765

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0766

The front end:

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0762

Roof rack and Trailpax:

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0772

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0773

Motorola GMRS Radio installed now too. Used their "Ghost" antenna and added a magnetic mic mount.

Under the passenger side of the dash, where the LED floor light wire is attached, that screw and hold is used to the mount the radio bracket. Worked like an absolute charm. The radio has to go in an angle which worked perfectly for the antenna wire to come out the rear of the radio and the speaker is facing down so it can be heard perfectly.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build 8EA5CB93-7892-4EA0-B96F-DDBF0CC50B8A.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build 362CAA3E-94B2-4B58-B345-EC11099E7597.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build 3CF04F05-A346-4DA8-8B55-C524D5743470.JPG

What I have waiting to go on are AEV Borah wheels and AEV 2.5" lift. Am doing the lift due to the weight of the Jeep (their lift is made for rigs just like this). It's heavy and I don't have the tent or Awning mounted yet. Only going to 35's as I plan to Overland with this Jeep and 37's are really a waste for my purposes.

I've had the Jeep for two weeks now and drove it 2215 miles the first week. All of it was with about 800lbs loaded and the last half was also pulling 2,000 lbs. Mostly highway. I averaged 24 mpg without towing and 18 mpg towing. Love the diesel!!!

I will post up pics when the lift/tires/tent/awning have been installed. Then when I drive it back to Alaska, I'll take some pics and report back how it does when it's fully loaded and how it works out camping and all that.

EDIT 3/26: AEV 2.5" for the diesel installed. Took all of 5 hours. 37's few days.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0838

As AEV's fuel caddy is/was designed for GASOLINE (Diesel's were not around when they designed them)...I had a friend who does graphics for a living make me a new sticker to cover up AEV's GASOLINE sticker. She's NAILED IT!!

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0844.JPG

Tires mounted on the Borah’s. They go on tonight after we get the roof top tent mounted.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build DBE48454-7134-4FFD-BD9E-D509A3CCC4D2

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build F5E2CFED-AA4F-41E7-A7E5-013BAE924CDD
She’s all put together. Put the tent, awning, tires and rims on today. Tomorrow I hope to open everything up.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build D3A0C28A-9075-402D-9EBE-782E915F19A8

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build 1D86570A-D95B-4068-9A53-B9C18070014D

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build E0815687-83CD-45A6-A755-072E86C0BAE1

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build 20E95E4C-2171-4E11-B834-FBC4C6131C92

I've added a few more things before I finalized the rig and headed back to Alaska.

I added Rock Sliding Engineering Slider Steps and a set of Metal Cloak hinge steps.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0893

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_1210.JPG

I've since driven back to Alaska. I decided on putting the 4 stock 33's on for the drive. Had the 37's and all the original parts as well as a motorcycle in the trailer in tow.

The Jeep did WONDERFUL.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0962

Since getting back to Alaska I've put the 37's on, did some camping and some wheeling. This thing is a beast. I don't regret anything any this point. Less than 2 months old at this time of edit, 7400 miles!

Nothing else to do to it really.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0690

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_1211.JPG

Oh yeah, one more thing....I'm a hug fan of Smart Garage. I have 16 of their motors on my ceiling lifting 2 sets of tires and rims, the hard top, 3 bikes, a motorcycle trailer, and now the roof rack with the tent and awning attached. Takes seconds to remove and even less to attach it again.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_1182
Sponsored

Last edited:

Pootytanger

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Looks sick so far! I have the ecodiesel too, and installed the non-diesel AEV 2.5” lift (diesel version wasn’t available when I installed) and I love it. I’m on borahs and 37 KM3s and they ride great. I’ve put 20,000 miles on it in the past year. I debated 35 vs 37 for a long time and am glad I went with 37s. They fit fenders well, handles fine as daily driver and cross country overlander. And the extra inch of ground clearance gained going to 37s vs 35s has been nice. Still tons of power; I’ve found no reason to regear.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build CA245960-EADF-4110-9ECB-05D39ED7EE0E

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build 900F2386-A773-4B2B-BA65-827E08C96546

tehkayd

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Sting-Gray
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I too am looking to go after a build like yours, except 3.6 not diesel. Thank you for your journey!!

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
...I debated 35 vs 37 for a long time and am glad I went with 37s. They fit fenders well, handles fine as daily driver and cross country overlander. And the extra inch of ground clearance gained going to 37s vs 35s has been nice....
I totally get it. But the miles I plan to put on it, the added cost, and what's more important to me is the difficulty of my wife climbing in and out (versus sliding off the seat), 35's is the best choice for me. I expect the Jeep will sit just fine and look great on 35's with all the heavy gear that will live in it. It will serve me well I am sure.

EDIT: I ended up going to 37's. I really didn't want a load range E tire and I've loved the MT/R's in the past. 35" MT/R's are like backordered and probably wouldn't get here before I planned to leave. With the road rating limitations of 35's and even 37's, 37 MT/R's were available and they are load range D. So......That's what I went with.

Last edited:

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
I'm not new to the Jeep world I've build quite a few rigs to include Hemi JK's. I ordered a 392 JL but backed out of the deal after the dealership pulled a fast one. Decided on going with a 2021 Red Diesel instead.

I've done the hard rock crawling and all that comes with it (build, break, repair and repeat). I've also done the overloading thing pulling an Adventure Trailer (Chaser model) and that's where this Jeep is going.

Ordered up a new Diesel with Paul (PaulwithJeep here on the forums). From moment one, he was awesome. Extremely fair, honest, and helpful. Dwayne Lane's in Everett, WA was amazing. Everyone there went way above and beyond what I wold consider good customer service.

As I live in Anchorage, flying down to get the new Jeep was the only option for me. Anything for a trip. But this trip turned into a logistic nightmare. I started buying stuff for the 392 the day I ordered it in November so my garage in AnchorageI had a crap load of stuff waiting to install. Things are very expensive to ship up to Alaska so when the plan started coming together to go to Everette to get the Jeep, I had an idea.

A very good friend in Colorado offered up his shop to transform the Jeep. So what I did was have the roof top tent, roof rack, remote battery setup with ARB dual compressor, Trailrax and Rotopax, and Goosegear (platform, camp kitchen, and drawer) all sent to his place.

As I had lights, winch, an AEV rear bumper and tire carrier all sitting in my garage, I wanted to get all of that to Colorado too. Best kept secret in the airline world is freight. I had that 480 lbs of stuff, plus all my travel and camping gear palletized and sent on Alaska Airlines flight to Seatle. Get this, $359 to have it send down. Can't beat that!!! Now I can do absolutely everything at one time, play around with it then head home via the Alaska Highway and be self sufficient.

The pallet:

IMG_0649.jpeg

IMG_0648.jpeg

26 Feb - Fly to Seattle
27 Feb - Pick up the Jeep from the Dealership and get palletized boxes from Alaska Airlines
28 Feb - Do some road trip prep with Jeep
1-7 Mar - See some friends, drive to Colorado via Las Vegas
8-14 Mar (Today) - Build the Jeep.

The Rubi is fully loaded to include:

Off-Road Camera
Engine Block Heater
Black 3-Piece Hard Top
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
All-Weather Floor Mats
Cargo Group w/ Trail Rail System (ended up totally removing this)
Hardtop Headliner
Perforated Leather Black
Steel Bumper Group (removed the rear)
SafetyAdvanced Safety Group
Safety Group
8.4" Radio and Premium Audio Group
LED Lighting Group
Trailer Tow and HD Electrical Group
Cold Weather Group
All packages except smoke & half doors

What I have installed in the last week here in Colorado:

Mopar bumper plates and stuff for the winch
Warn Zeon 10k Platinum Winch
Factor 55 Prolink for the winch
AEV Rear Bumper, tire carrier with Fuel Caddy (YES I DID GET ONE!! in their first lottery)
Mopar 7" LED aux lights and their bumper light bar
Rhino Rack Backbone rack system (3 HD Bars instead of the platform)
Trailgate tailgate table
Goose Gear Platform system
Goose Gear Camp Kitchen 2.3 (I already have a Engle 45l fridge/freezer)
Partner Steel 22" stove
American Adventure Labs Dual ARB Compressor mount and Odyssey battery tray (for the rear cubby)
Amercian Adventure Labs ARB Compressor Remote Kit
REDARC BCDC 1225D - In-Vehicle DC-DC Battery Charger for the remote battery
1500 watt inverter with remote 110 plugs in the rear of the JL.
Trailrax and Rotopax setup

Standing by to load up:
Eezi-Awn Series 3 1800 Roof Top Tent
Eezi-Awn 270 Manta Awning

So for the last week I've worked on this from wake up to bed time. More runs to the hardward/auto part stores than I count and very cut up and bruised hands has got it done. And done RIGHT!

So here you go.....

The new JLURD the night before I picked it up.

IMG_0653.JPG

I picked up my wife's bike that was in storage in Vegas and towed it to Colorado. (550lbs or so in the back and the trailer tongue has it squatting a bit).

IMG_0692.jpeg

The completed inside (what in there is listed above):

IMG_0725.jpeg

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMG_0724.jpeg

IMG_0729.jpeg

IMG_0739.jpeg

IMG_0740.jpeg

What so many may be interested in is the AEV rear bumper and Tire carrier. I also added their 10.1 gal aux tank.

IMG_0763.jpeg

IMG_0764.jpeg

IMG_0759.jpeg

IMG_0765.jpeg

IMG_0766.jpeg

The front end:

IMG_0762.jpeg

Roof rack and Trailpax:

IMG_0772.jpeg

IMG_0773.jpeg

What I have waiting to go on are AEV Borah wheels and AEV 2.5" lift. Am doing the lift due to the weight of the Jeep (their lift is made for rigs just like this). It's heavy and I don't have the tent or Awning mounted yet. Only going to 35's as I plan to Overland with this Jeep and 37's are really a waste for my purposes.

I've had the Jeep for two weeks now and drove it 2215 miles the first week. All of it was with about 800lbs loaded and the last half was also pulling 2,000 lbs. Mostly highway. I averaged 24 mpg without towing and 18 mpg towing. Love the diesel!!!

I will post up pics when the lift/tires/tent/awning have been installed. Then when I drive it back to Alaska, I'll take some pics and report back how it does when it's fully loaded and how it works out camping and all that.
Quick question. How well did the air and power lines route under the goose gear deck for the AAL remote panel? Did you have to do any trimming on the deck supports? They route like shit under the factory deck, at least on a sport, I have a goose gear deck coming and i'm hoping the fit will be better.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
How well did the air and power lines route under the goose gear deck for the AAL remote panel? Did you have to do any trimming on the deck supports?
Had to do a very little trimming. pics below of what I trimmed. Easy and doesn't affect a thing.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0713

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0714

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0716

Jeep Wrangler JL My Red 2021 JLURD and it's Build IMG_0717

I was a little concerned about all this until I talked to Goosegear (before I had it in hand). There's enough room without trimming for either the air lines or the electrical stuff but not both. After the trimming, everything has room and everything lays flat without overlapping anything.

I discovered that if you attach the air lines to the remote panel first then to the compressor, all goes together way easier.

Also, if you have a diesel, make sure AAL sends you the red intake lines for the diesel for the ARB. The compressor is on the right side of the tub and needs longer lines. They sent me the lines for the "normal" Jeep. That made one too short. The other was a few inches too long so all I did was get a shark bite coupler from the hardware store, cut off the little extra from the longer one and connected it to the shorter one. The Braided line was just right.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Had to do a very little trimming. pics below of what I trimmed. Easy and doesn't affect a thing.

I was a little concerned about all this until I talked to Goosegear (before I had it in hand). There's enough room without trimming for either the air lines or the electrical stuff but not both. After the trimming, everything has room and everything lays flat without overlapping anything.

I discovered that if you attach the air lines to the remote panel first then to the compressor, all goes together way easier.

Also, if you have a diesel, make sure AAL sends you the red intake lines for the diesel for the ARB. The compressor is on the right side of the tub and needs longer lines. They sent me the lines for the "normal" Jeep. That made one too short. The other was a few inches too long so all I did was get a shark bite coupler from the hardware store, cut off the little extra from the longer one and connected it to the shorter one. The Braided line was just right.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Great looking build you got there!

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Editted the original post. Added the GMRS radio.

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Thanks. Lift snd tires this week.

Sponsored

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Original post edited. Got the lift installed. 37's (yes....I decided on 37's) go on shortly with the Borah wheels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Oh yeah, I've decided on one more addition to the rig. With just the lift installed, and even before the tires, I find myself sliding out of the Jeep (I'm 6'2"). My wife will hate this and so will my seats so.....I've ordered a set of Rock Slide Engineering Slider Steps.

Give me a week from now and The Big D will be 100% complete.

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
I edited the first post. She’s all put together. Added the rims/tires, the tent, and the awning today.

Last edited:

Pootytanger

First Name
Mitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR EcoDiesel
Oh yeah, I've decided on one more addition to the rig. With just the lift installed, and even before the tires, I find myself sliding out of the Jeep (I'm 6'2"). My wife will hate this and so will my seats so.....I've ordered a set of Rock Slide Engineering Slider Steps.

Give me a week from now and The Big D will be 100% complete.
ata boy! I’m also 6’2” and my wife also loves complaining about getting in the Jeep so I also did RSE slider steps. Best upgrade for sure. Great minds...

OP
OP
TheMike

TheMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
ata boy! I’m also 6’2” and my wife also loves complaining about getting in the Jeep so I also did RSE slider steps. Best upgrade for sure. Great minds...
I’m installing them now. They are very well built. My only concern is winters in Alaska.
Sponsored