liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
sure you do. I forgot you got the only diesel wrangler produced so far. You are very lucky.
Not 30 minutes ago: 436 miles by the trip-o-meter, 19.1 gallons on the pump. 22.8 mpg, a typical spring result. I'll get another 1mpg by summer.
It's not luck. I don't have the less efficient Rubi rear end, I have a manual, and I keep the rpms low. Others (not many) on this forum also report this efficiency.
Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Good review. Only thing I disagree about is the Pentastar torque. This engine makes a torque curve as flat as a Kansas highway, and they altered the cam profile to provide 14% more torque at low RPM.

The reason it feels inadequate to you is because you chose the manual transmission. Not only does it have 3 fewer forward gears, but it's also geared taller than the outgoing NSG370 trans in every gear except 1st. This makes the Jeep feel sluggish when it's really not.

Glad you're enjoying the Jeep. It's May... time to go topless!

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
Not 30 minutes ago: 436 miles by the trip-o-meter, 19.1 gallons on the pump. 22.8 mpg, a typical spring result. I'll get another 1mpg by summer.
It's not luck. I don't have the less efficient Rubi rear end, I have a manual, and I keep the rpms low. Others (not many) on this forum also report this efficiency.
I have been consistently getting the same results......it’s not a fluke....it’s the norm.
I too operate my 3.6 Ltr, 6 speed manual transmission in the low rpm range. Getting an average 22mpg is a bonus,
The real objective in operating my JL in the low range is extended engine life in the long run. I typically keep my vehicles 20 years. My truck still purrs like new it is 21 years old......it may look like like it’s in bad shape, but it runs beautifully. My car is 10 years...and is “as new”, and my Jeep TJ is 15 years old now and is also a beautiful wonder....running excellent. Of course the JL is my “Spoiled” one. If the rest go....I’d like to keep my JL till I pass away. If one of my many children can give it half of the love I have for it....they will be ENJOYING a vintage JL...saying; this was my Dads old JL....and they don’t make them like that anymore.

OP
OP
liquids

liquids

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S, 1968 CJ5
Great review!

Time for you to post a pic too :)
Indeed, @OP, post a pic! Great review!
Okay, finally got some shots. This is this morning after after I installed the Rubi rails I got from @alexJL .
Stock except for the rails. The annual switch to the soft top is coming soon.
IMG_2525.jpg
IMG_2526.jpg
IMG_2527.jpg
IMG_2528.jpg
IMG_2529.jpg
Sponsored