Sponsored

My OCD got the best of me...time to hide some wires.

Captain Skip

First Name
Skip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JL Sport S
Occupation
Happily retired
I had wires hanging down and up for the dash cam and my cell phone. Having the wires all over drives me nuts so it was time to hide them. Before I started pulling things apart I watched all the Youtube videos to make sure I did it the right way first. Pulled the A pillar trim on the drivers side and routed the dash cam wire up over the headliner and down the A pillar. I bought a Bulletproof cell phone mount that I got the other day. I like the mount but I kicked it up a notch. I pulled the center stack on the dash apart to see what was there. I drilled a 1/2" hole in the base of the Bulletproof mount and another matching hole in the top of the dashboard tray. Put in a rubber grommet in the Bulletproof base to protect the cell phone wire. Routed that wire down through the interior of the dash and met the dash cam wire under the steering column. I added a double USB plug that I mounted to the brace behind the knee panel on the driver's side. I found that a 1" metal electric conduit clamp fit the USB plug perfectly and held firmly when I tightened the ring on the plug. I tapped power from the cigarette lighter plug which won't be used from this point forward. The cell phone and dash cam only pull a combined total of 4 amps so there's plenty of power there. Rather than use a clamp on tap I did it the right way and stripped the power lead to the cigarette lighter plug down enough that I could wrap the wire to the USB plug tight around it then soldered the wires together. Wrapped it all up with tape and put everything back together. Works perfectly, the wires are hidden and I now have two extra USB ports under the dash if I ever change out the dash cam or go to a different phone. The only problem I ran in to was trying to get the driver's side kick panel off so I could attach the ground for the USB. I got the panel out far enough that I could reach the ground lug and attach the ground wire.
Jeep Wrangler JL My OCD got the best of me...time to hide some wires. AE6F23A1-ED80-4902-A028-275181A356DC
Jeep Wrangler JL My OCD got the best of me...time to hide some wires. 38BE6B89-4DE1-4290-B4CE-7A79C1389294
Jeep Wrangler JL My OCD got the best of me...time to hide some wires. 7369FCC4-68FD-4841-A95F-FC524056536E
Jeep Wrangler JL My OCD got the best of me...time to hide some wires. 2F1202B1-20B4-4C20-92F8-7DDDD36C5D0C
Jeep Wrangler JL My OCD got the best of me...time to hide some wires. 44D12E03-6C8D-4941-A693-F43ED6595100
Sponsored

Last edited: