My new JLU was rear ended in a light accident

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
How did you get a license plate already for a Jeep picked up less than a week ago? Personalized plate?
Almost every dealer is on the “Drive“ program and can register vehicles in-house. They can issue new plates or do plate transfers. They have a big stack of plates in house.
it’s no big deal that the op has plates the same day he purchased his vehicle.
Sponsored

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
I crawled under up the Jeep and removed the spare tire just to make sure I didn't miss anything.
Check your trailer wiring plastic covers. Open and close each lid. That wiring harness with labor to is very expensive to remove and replace.

No police report?
No pics of the Audi and driver at the scene?
No money for you imho. Dealer isn’t going to pay for anything.

OP
OP

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Check your trailer wiring plastic covers. Open and close each lid. That wiring harness with labor to is very expensive to remove and replace.

No police report?
No pics of the Audi and driver at the scene?
No money for you imho. Dealer isn’t going to pay for anything.
I didn't think about the trailer wring covers, I inspected them this morning and they look good.

It isn't required to take pictures of the driver, accident damage or have the police in person to file a report for an insurance claim. If I go through insurance, I would have to file my own accident report with the police department.

I have pictures of the driver's license, the Audi's registration and required information to place an insurance claim to the owner if needed. I have spoke to the Audi dealership and they said they would take care of it. I am guessing the Audi dealership does not want me to make a claim against the owner of the vehicle, when he didn't have it in his possession.

OP
OP

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Bummer your spare tire caused a few nicks in the paint. Did the spare get damaged?
How did you get a license plate already for a Jeep picked up less than a week ago? Personalized plate?

Damage.jpg
The white specs are lint from the drying cloth I used. The spare wasn't hit, I removed it to verify no tailgate damage was done.

Every major MA dealer has in house registry and can do the registry transaction with a purchase, the plate are just a regular issue but it kind of mostly works by coincidence. The 2nd, 3rd and 4th digits are an abbreviation of 2 of my vehicles (W) for Wrangler, (SY) for Syclone. 21 is my lucky number and year of my wrangler, The 1st digit doesn't have any meaning to me, but it is not bad for a random plate

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
You need to be very careful with body-on-frame vehicles when they get rear ended.

Unlike unibody construction which is designed to absorb the impact, the shock of the impact tends to travel along the entire length of the chassis on a body-on-frame vehicle. This can cause unseen damage to transmission, suspension and engine mounts.

I’d put the Jeep up on a lift and have the frame and all mounts inspected to make sure nothing else got compromised.

Good luck.
Subframe has crumple zones.
Cumple zone for the rear impact is located in the area where swaybar mounts to the subframe. (Between sway bar mounting location and track bar mounting location on the passenger side...similar location on the driver side).

Sponsored

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
Almost every dealer is on the “Drive“ program and can register vehicles in-house. They can issue new plates or do plate transfers. They have a big stack of plates in house.
it’s no big deal that the op has plates the same day he purchased his vehicle.
Interesting. In Minnesota, the dealership gives you a paper temporary plate and it usually takes two to three weeks for the metal plate to arrive.
Until January of this year, the dealer would fill out a small yellow form that got taped to the back window.

20210419_112627.jpg

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Subframe has crumple zones.
Cumple zone for the rear impact is located in the area where swaybar mounts to the subframe. (Between sway bar mounting location and track bar mounting location on the passenger side...similar location on the driver side).
Perhaps, but they don’t work very well.

My 2009 JKUR was rear ended by a Prius. The impact was pretty hard, although you could barely tell on the Jeep. The Prius was totaled; the Jeep had minor scuffs on the rear bumper.

Months after I got my Jeep back from the body shop, the Jeep developed a grinding noise in 2nd, 4th and 6th gears. When the mechanic put it up on the lift, he found a bent transmission mount that had gone undetected. At that point I was SOL.

Moral of the story: whenever you get rear ended, don’t just go by cosmetic evidence; take a good look at all your mounts along the entire frame.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I didn't take a picture of the damage. It was cold and raining out, and it had been snowing earlier.

The Audi had 2 holes in the the grill, one from the tow hook, the other from the tow hitch receiver. I suspect the hood on the Audi was bent where hit my bumper (that is what the scratches on my bumper are from) The Audi isn't getting away without being repair.

The driver tried to plead with me multiple times to not take his information or contact his employer. I pointed out the damage to his car, I told him that you're not going to be able to deliver it to the owner in that condition
I felt bad for the Audi guy until this. He must have been on his phone or something. 100% report it to his workplace.

OP
OP

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Long story short once I got transferred to another person at the dealer, I start getting the inquisition and he eventually said it look looks my 1 week old Jeep had been repainted in the picture. He also want me to drive 4.5 hours between inspection and the repair. After insulting me, I said I am not jump through hoops and drive all over the place over a few hundred dollar repair. They came up with a fair settlement with the dealership which I accepted.

Sponsored

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Long story short once I got transferred to another person at the dealer, I start getting the inquisition and he eventually said it look looks my 1 week old Jeep had been repainted in the picture. He also want me to drive 4.5 hours between inspection and the repair. After insulting me, I said I am not jump through hoops and drive all over the place over a few hundred dollar repair. They came up with a fair settlement with the dealership which I accepted.
Which Audi dealer was it? Also, I got my Jeep from the same place you got yours (though mine is 3 years old).

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
If they insulted me like that, I wouldn't settle for anything less then the bumper of my choice or I look at costing them the most money even if I get nothing... Looks at AEV website :rock:

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
My first post here but I just wanted to say people here seem unusually civil for a car forum. OP seems concerned about the person that hit him.

I'm surprised that the Audi didn't have some sort of front collision system. The German cars are getting really high tech but they also like to charge a small fortune for it.

What disappoints me is how the Audi dealership took care of the issue. They should have bent over backwards.

Mtpockets

First Name
MT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4-Door
I'm surprised that the Audi didn't have some sort of front collision system. The German cars are getting really high tech but they also like to charge a small fortune for it.

What disappoints me is how the Audi dealership took care of the issue. They should have bent over backwards.
Need the $3,900 Premium Plus pkg for emergency assist braking. Audi puts 2 rectangular boxes in the grill. That’s how you can see if it has that feature or not.

Hey! Welcome to the forum! Some good people here.😁

RubiJR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR and 1992 Suzuki Sidekick
This is pretty much why I disregard the weight and install steel front, rear, and rocker. Been hit at stop signs at no more than 15mph and each "other" vehicle sustained the bulk of damage. My new jeep has front and side so now I need rear steel. Not sure if Plastic or Aluminum are as strong for my safety. Glad no one was injured and you received some cash. Stay Happy
Sponsored