My new JLU was rear ended in a light accident

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I got rear ended on Friday while stopped at intersected. It was very light hit and I saw the car coming so I tried to inch forward to help the other driver out. I picked my JLU on Monday and it has only 125 miles on it. The car that rear ended me was a brand new Audi A5 that was being delivered by dealership employee to its new owner. I just have light scratches on my bumper. Fortuantely the Audi is pretty low to went under the tire. The rubber tow hitch and tow hook too the brunt of the impact. The deaelrship acknowledge the accident and I sent them pictures. The dealership said they were going to review it with the management and contact me Monday with a resolution. I have an 80th and safety package, so it has the sensors in it and its the plastic bumper. I know the damage is minor, but because my car is less than a week old, I should get new parts. I would prefer to not got through insurance so this accident doesn't show in the vehicle history.
Sponsored

OP
OP

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
The white specs are from the cloth I dried it with (it was raining on Friday and off and on yesteday)

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
I think you got lucky...does not look like anything happened! I don't really see any damage, except for the slight scratch to the tow hook. Have you looked under the Jeep to see if the tow carrier had any visible signs of damage ?

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I would prefer to not got through insurance so this accident doesn't show in the vehicle history.
The Audi dealership should cover it. The body work should buff out. It doesn’t look that bad. If you want a new tow hook , have it replaced too.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
You need to be very careful with body-on-frame vehicles when they get rear ended.

Unlike unibody construction which is designed to absorb the impact, the shock of the impact tends to travel along the entire length of the chassis on a body-on-frame vehicle. This can cause unseen damage to transmission, suspension and engine mounts.

I’d put the Jeep up on a lift and have the frame and all mounts inspected to make sure nothing else got compromised.

Good luck.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Light hit like that, I'd check it good and call it a day. If it ain't damaged to your satisfaction, no sense in collecting money. In the end, the money comes from people. Treat them like you'd like to be treated.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
@dgoodhue
The purpose of an insurance claim (or the proxy of the promised dealership resolution here) is to restore you and your vehicle to their pre-collision states, to the extents applicable and possible.

I've the experience of one not-my-fault collision. Keeping studious notes from start to finish made resolving that claim a lot easier when the inevitable requests for me to explain the events of that day, for the nth time, occurred. (Something to keep in mind for your developing experience here.)

Hopefully things work out in an expedient and satisfactory manner for you. đź‘Ť

Sponsored

631_Islander

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Unlimited Rubicon with 8 speed and 3.6L Pentastar without eTorque
The white specs are from the cloth I dried it with (it was raining on Friday and off and on yesteday)
Given these pics, I agree with you. No need to involve insurance. Let dealership help out. After some months you will be having a laugh about this.

Hope the Audi driver doesn’t get fired or something for this.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Pix of the Audi ? No harm, no foul, why make it a $ issue if no damage , consider the employee losing his job if claim is inflated, or out of his pocket...

OP
OP

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Pix of the Audi ? No harm, no foul, why make it a $ issue if no damage , consider the employee losing his job if claim is inflated, or out of his pocket...
I didn't take a picture of the damage. It was cold and raining out, and it had been snowing earlier.

The Audi had 2 holes in the the grill, one from the tow hook, the other from the tow hitch receiver. I suspect the hood on the Audi was bent where hit my bumper (that is what the scratches on my bumper are from) The Audi isn't getting away without being repair.

The driver tried to plead with me multiple times to not take his information or contact his employer. I pointed out the damage to his car, I told him that you're not going to be able to deliver it to the owner in that condition.

As for accidents, I know better and always get the other persons information. Years ago, I had an accident where someone talked me into not reporting it. I got hit on steel bumper on Toyota truck, even thought I usually super observant I didn't notice their car went around my bumper and dented my bed. My ex-wife also was going to let some go, when she got rear ended by a car in her SUV. She didn't think it had any damage, she call end me and I told her to take the persons info anyways. The repair bill was $7500. The car when under her SUV, it bent the unibody and mangle almost the entire exhaust.

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
Bummer your spare tire caused a few nicks in the paint. Did the spare get damaged?
How did you get a license plate already for a Jeep picked up less than a week ago? Personalized plate?

Damage.jpg

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Now I’d like to be on the Audi forum just to read what story the buyer of that Audi is being fed.
Sponsored