Sponsored

My mind is made up and I’m 100 percent getting a wrangler. I just have one more question.

LARSONEM

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
I'd go Rubicon with the Extreme Recon package on it. You'll pay a little more for the Rubicon but everything is there from the factory to do whatever you want offroad. The Extreme Recon package is worth every penny you pay for it. I had a lot more than the $3995 MSRP price when I did my 2012 Rubicon with a 2 1/2" lift, 315/70 tires, changed wheels for the proper backspacing, hinged tailgate reinforement, etc. And none of it came with a factory warranty. I was a little hesitant about the 4.56 gears in the 2022 Rubicon with the Extreme Recon package but it actually runs about 500 RPMS less than the 2012 did at the same speed in top gear and the fuel economy is the same (for the most part I could give a rats rump about fuel economy). The 4.56 gears make the Jeep very perky and with a little pressure of the right foot on the skinny pedal the Jeep really scoots. The 4.56 gears offer great performance, maybe not like the 392 powertrain, but much better than the 4.10 gears in my 2012 with the 315/70 tires. Go for it; you only live once.
Sponsored

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
yeah agreed, if you could use the rear lockers in 4wd high or rwd it would make the rubicon way better. but unfortunately you need a tazer for that and im not willing to bypass the sgm. at least the rubicon hood looks cool though lol
You can use your rear locker in 4wd high without a Tazer on a Rubicon....

Obeezee

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jl rubicon
Yesterday I posted a thread and received a lot of great help from the community and really appreciated that. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have an input on me deciding on the wrangler. Although I was probably always gonna get a wrangler anyway. But Now that I’m locked in on a wrangler, I’m deciding between a Willy’s xtreme recon package or just going with a standard rubicon with an aftermarket lift and 35s. I don’t offroad, but I’m 24 and also have never had a vehicle capable of off-roading. So I’m sure I’d definitely at the minimum take it on some trails here in NY. Basically I’d like to know what would be the benefit of going with a standard rubicon with some options added rather then just opting for the Willy’s xtreme recon package that already comes from factory with a lift/35s and other plus’s for about 5-6k less. Once again thanks for the help guys.
Willys X is a great option. If you ever plan on doing 1% of your time off road I'd go with the Rubi. Only because it will pay for it in the long run. You'll end up dumping more and more into. Might as well get as much as you can in the beginning. I've had three and I finally just got a rubi and wish I would have on all three of the others.

JPXR

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
’22 JLUW XR 2.0T, ‘23 JLU 4xe Sahara
Occupation
IT
I just purchased my first Jeep as a Willy’s xr. I will say that it’s a great Jeep- very capable and a great way to enter into jeeps. I thought I knew exactly how I wanted to use my Jeep but until you have one and then live with it, your are always guessing. My suggestion is get the Willy’s xr and maybe in the future if you feel you need a rubicon you can upgrade (after many years of use).

I have take my Jeep on a few off-road trips recently and have been amazed at how capable the Jeep is! Currently, my suspension /wheels/tires are still stock.

90464AA9-8328-40AA-B631-FBBC2CCD1565.jpeg

Sponsored

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

migs, folks here aren't making it any easier... are they? :LOL:

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
It's easy to spend someones money on a forum! I bought a Rubicon XR for not only my enjoyment but for resale value. Top of the line if you can manage it. My dad instilled in us that you don't settle for something to just get into it. You save up until you get the best. As much as I love my new XR rubicon, you better believe i will dump it when the hurricane powered version is announced. My vehicles are always well taken care of. Now i am deciding on a snorkel for my pavement princess just because it looks good. Did I piss anyone off here with that?!! Doubtful I will add it on since I never plan on crossing any deep water. I want to keep my frame clean under there. The new car paint has gotta maintain a nice black shine. Reminds me, I need to put a coat of wax on the skid plates... Ha! :CWL:

J. Creeper

First Name
Annie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon
Yesterday I posted a thread and received a lot of great help from the community and really appreciated that. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have an input on me deciding on the wrangler. Although I was probably always gonna get a wrangler anyway. But Now that I’m locked in on a wrangler, I’m deciding between a Willy’s xtreme recon package or just going with a standard rubicon with an aftermarket lift and 35s. I don’t offroad, but I’m 24 and also have never had a vehicle capable of off-roading. So I’m sure I’d definitely at the minimum take it on some trails here in NY. Basically I’d like to know what would be the benefit of going with a standard rubicon with some options added rather then just opting for the Willy’s xtreme recon package that already comes from factory with a lift/35s and other plus’s for about 5-6k less. Once again thanks for the help guys.
Get the Rubicon Trim Package. It comes with lockers, sway bar disconnect already. And it’s a more comfortable ride than the Willys. You can also go up to 35’s with Rubicon without a lift because it has higher fender flares.

RubiSc0tt

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR in Punk'n Orange
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Turn Wrenches/ Write code
I just hate the misconception that you can buy it and build it into a Rubicon and still save, my experience says you won't save anything and you'll likely spend more.
You are 100% correct, with a few caveats. I've done the math several times over- it doesn't add up. You're always spending more, by a long shot if you include labor (because you can't do all the work yourself), and downtime of the Jeep (if it's your daily driver).

People love themselves some confirmation bias and wishful thinking.

Get the Rubicon. You're a few hours away from two off-road parks in PA (rausch creek and AOAA) and they're fun in a stock Rubicon.
There's a 3rd coming! The old Paragon Adventure Park property is being opened back up as a public area. They're in the planning phases right now! It's going to be Catawissa Recreation Area, I believe. Very similar to AOAA, if what I hear is accurate. I got to go to Paragon back in 2007 before it closed down, it was awesome.

Sponsored

Jtclayton612

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
You are 100% correct, with a few caveats. I've done the math several times over- it doesn't add up. You're always spending more, by a long shot if you include labor (because you can't do all the work yourself), and downtime of the Jeep (if it's your daily driver).

People love themselves some confirmation bias and wishful thinking.

There's a 3rd coming! The old Paragon Adventure Park property is being opened back up as a public area. They're in the planning phases right now! It's going to be Catawissa Recreation Area, I believe. Very similar to AOAA, if what I hear is accurate. I got to go to Paragon back in 2007 before it closed down, it was awesome.
Nice, I’m expecting a move to the Danville/bloom area late next year most likely. Be nicer to have more options than Windrock 6 hours away or hot springs in Arkansas 4 hours away for bigger parks.

fastfed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep
You can use your rear locker in 4wd high without a Tazer on a Rubicon....
more important then locking the rear in High, which I've never needed unless doing hooligan stuff :)

But the disconnecting sway bar in 2wd, so worth it! the tazer is worth it just for that. How many trails I go on, where it can take an hour or longer and there's literally no reason for 4wd, yet disconnecting that sway bar is heaven

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
My tazer wish list is unlocking off road plus in 2wd. The higher revving, quicker throttle response would be great in those same scenarios where there's no need for 4wd.

fastfed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Jeep
im not even sure what off road plus does, and everytime I see someone explain it, its different lol.

someone told me in 4lo it makes the throttle response less so you have more control, or holds 1st gear and won't shift into second.

Then I see answers like yours.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
im not even sure what off road plus does, and everytime I see someone explain it, its different lol.

someone told me in 4lo it makes the throttle response less so you have more control, or holds 1st gear and won't shift into second.

Then I see answers like yours.
It does 2 entirely different things in 4HI and 4LO. Both answers are correct. In high it behaves like a throttle map and trans tune set up for aggressive off roading at speed. Think prerunning in the desert or blasting around in the dunes. In 4 lo it is tuned for crawling, more finite throttle control and holding low gears for crawling and compression braking on hill decents. I don't see any benefit of the 4LO tuning in 2wd, but the 4HI would be great.
Sponsored