Sponsored

My mind is made up and I’m 100 percent getting a wrangler. I just have one more question.

migs

First Name
Miguelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet.
Yesterday I posted a thread and received a lot of great help from the community and really appreciated that. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have an input on me deciding on the wrangler. Although I was probably always gonna get a wrangler anyway. But Now that I’m locked in on a wrangler, I’m deciding between a Willy’s xtreme recon package or just going with a standard rubicon with an aftermarket lift and 35s. I don’t offroad, but I’m 24 and also have never had a vehicle capable of off-roading. So I’m sure I’d definitely at the minimum take it on some trails here in NY. Basically I’d like to know what would be the benefit of going with a standard rubicon with some options added rather then just opting for the Willy’s xtreme recon package that already comes from factory with a lift/35s and other plus’s for about 5-6k less. Once again thanks for the help guys.
Sponsored

No Spark V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubi 3.0 GCM
Clubs

I went with a rubicon(XR didn't exist at the time)because I planned to take it offroad and knew I wanted to do trails where the lockers/lower transfer case would be very beneficial. The lower gear ratio of the rubicon transfer case is nice but probably not necessary for what you describe. Swaybar disconnect on the rubicon is nice to push a button, but honestly you can buy some very affordable swaybar disconnects, or even just unbolt the stock one and have great performance offroad. Willys is a phenomenal bang for your buck IMO.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I’d vote to get the Rubicon solely because it comes with factory lockers. You can just add a spacer lift if you want some height to go with larger tires pretty easily and relatively inexpensive. It’s a lot harder to add lockers if you decide you want those later though.

Definitely get the tow package whichever way you decide.

Sponsored

OP
OP

migs

First Name
Miguelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet.
Definitely go with the Willys XR if you can, it’s a fantastic package.
Yea for me when building both online it seems like the Willy’s is bang for your buck. Would have everything I want and need. Thanks for the comment😎

MesaAZGuy

First Name
Simon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Personally for you and as your first Jeep, I think the Xtreme package is definitely a win. You not only get the wheels and tires, you get the hinge reinforcement on back door, better brakes, little flares on fenders and of course, the all mighty 4.56 gears. I say keep it stock, enjoy it and if you feel it needs improvement, trade it in later for what you think you can work with or build on the platform you have. Besides, you really don't want to start tearing into your new jeep right away and with the XR package you can enjoy pretty much the trails right off the bat. I love my XR package.

IMG_2425.jpg

OP
OP

migs

First Name
Miguelle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet.
Personally for you and as your first Jeep, I think the Xtreme package is definitely a win. You not only get the wheels and tires, you get the hinge reinforcement on back door, better brakes, little flares on fenders and of course, the all mighty 4.56 gears. I say keep it stock, enjoy it and if you feel it needs improvement, trade it in later for what you think you can work with or build on the platform you have. Besides, you really don't want to start tearing into your new jeep right away and with the XR package you can enjoy pretty much the trails right off the bat. I love my XR package.

Jeep Wrangler JL My mind is made up and I’m 100 percent getting a wrangler. I just have one more question. IMG_2425
The birdie loves the xtreme recon package too😂yea that’s the route I’ll probably go. Jeep’s hold their value so if I decide I need more I can trade it in like you said.

Squibbles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GTI, Ranger
The lockers and sway bar disconnect are nice to have, almost as nice to have as a D44 up front. My opinion is to get the rubicon but if you don’t expect to off road or do challenging trails the Willys could be a good choice.

LKG

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLUR (soon), Gen 2 Cummins, 22 Sport Alt. R.I.P
Yesterday I posted a thread and received a lot of great help from the community and really appreciated that. I’d be lying if I said it didn’t have an input on me deciding on the wrangler. Although I was probably always gonna get a wrangler anyway. But Now that I’m locked in on a wrangler, I’m deciding between a Willy’s xtreme recon package or just going with a standard rubicon with an aftermarket lift and 35s. I don’t offroad, but I’m 24 and also have never had a vehicle capable of off-roading. So I’m sure I’d definitely at the minimum take it on some trails here in NY. Basically I’d like to know what would be the benefit of going with a standard rubicon with some options added rather then just opting for the Willy’s xtreme recon package that already comes from factory with a lift/35s and other plus’s for about 5-6k less. Once again thanks for the help guys.
Short answer, bahaha, there is no short, right or wrong answer. A Rubi would be more future proof if you were to get the serious off roading bug but the factory warranty on the XR would be a comfort for sure.
It kinda sounds like you've made your secision, the Willis XR will be EPIC! Oh and if it makes you feel better, I waffeled between packages, colors, options for months before I ordered mine.

Sponsored

OrneryBear

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Sarge JLUR 6spd
if you don't plan to run lockers, and depending on which options you are adding to the willys, the XR willys is a great way to go.

We decided we had to have a manual, so once we added the few options we wanted, the rubicon was the way we went. XR was off the table.

EDIT: If you aren't sure you'll need lockers, this is a good way to go, and if you do decide later you want them, these are the right axles to have to add lockers to.

Last edited:

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
I’ll tell you my [abridged] story so you can decide what fits you:
I bought a JLUR Rubicon. I figured it would be capable enough to avoid spending a lot on mods, and the 2 door is bigger than my 4 door XJ from college. I thought the size wouldn’t be much worse. I spent a bunch on lift, carrier, beadlocks, 39’s, onboard air, etc. The electronics drove me nuts having issues and disabling everything. 2 botched shop regears later I did my own gears, then sold it.
Now I have a 2 door Sport. I’m building it the way I want it and haven’t looked back. I ride a desk for a living, but am semi-capable with tools in my garage working on my own vehicles and assisting others with theirs. I wouldn’t be able to get hired as a mechanic, I’m not that skilled. I’d do another low trim if something happened to this rather than go back to a Rubicon. I personally would skip the XR and do my own thing.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I’ll tell you my [abridged] story so you can decide what fits you:
I bought a JLUR Rubicon. I figured it would be capable enough to avoid spending a lot on mods, and the 2 door is bigger than my 4 door XJ from college. I thought the size wouldn’t be much worse. I spent a bunch on lift, carrier, beadlocks, 39’s, onboard air, etc. The electronics drove me nuts having issues and disabling everything. 2 botched shop regears later I did my own gears, then sold it.
Now I have a 2 door Sport. I’m building it the way I want it and haven’t looked back. I ride a desk for a living, but am semi-capable with tools in my garage working on my own vehicles and assisting others with theirs. I wouldn’t be able to get hired as a mechanic, I’m not that skilled. I’d do another low trim if something happened to this rather than go back to a Rubicon. I personally would skip the XR and do my own thing.
@migs

I actually 2nd this, only because wranglers are a large investment and this is your first off-road capable vehicle. The Sport is off-road capable stock. If you aren’t sure which trails you want to go on, I wouldn’t recommend you getting any package that can be majorly expensive when you aren’t even sure you need it at this point.

Everyone posting in this thread pretty much knows their stuff. No one has told you a lie…and all advice is legitimate, and should be considered/taken, as these people have owned jeeps for a while or off-road them a lot.

You are new to this experience, and I just think it would be wise to get an off-road capable inexpensively, see what you like/need and then add what you feel is necessary or what would make the jeep more enjoyable. There are many things these other trims have that you may not even need or particularly use this early on, but they are attached to a larger price tag.

Whichever decision you make, take a careful analysis of what you need right now…what can wait, and what you can afford without it being a burden. The one thing I’ve learned is that it is extremely rare to get a jeep as is and never modify it, even if you get a Rubicon or Willys Recon package. You will be tempted to spend more money on your Jeep.

Since you are so new to it all, I just think you might enjoy the journey better by figuring out what which options are best for you through experience.

Again, this is my perspective and my 2cents. Feel free to toss or pocket it. ✌🏽

And welcome to the family!

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Also, warranties are of questionable value. Pay attention to comments about denied claims over dirt/mud being found under the vehicle. Even if you haven’t had bad warranty experiences with a stock vehicle, know that there are more ways for a dealer to deny claims with a Jeep. 1 dirt road could end your factory warranty if you don’t have a decent dealer around, and economic pressure could end even that (warranty work doesn’t pay enough).
I din’t say that to scare you or out of politics. Just know it can touch you. Denied warranty claims on a $19k compact are one thing, denied claims on a $60k Wrangler can be extra infuriating. So maybe avoid it by sticking with a “low trim”.
Edit: meaning stick with low trim and build it your way if you agree the warranty is out the window anyway.

Last edited:

dragoneggs

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Snazzberry Pearl JLR
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

If it was me, and has been a few or more times in my life...

Look at your resources (money) and decide how much you want to dump (it is not an investment). I could afford it so I went with the Rubicon. The lockers and sway bar disconnect are worth it to me..

I wanted best out of the box. Also wanted 2dr so that limited me on engines and such. More options for a 4dr.

Commonly said... you get what you paid for. Many things you can do aftermarket with various amounts of money and effort... some better than OEM, especially the exterior stuff like bumpers,
Sponsored