My Maximus-3 tire carrier installation observations

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
First off, let me say I am really happy with how this turned out but installing it was painful. I'm not sure if my Jeep was out of alignment, I installed incorrectly or if the tire carrier was out of alignment. I'm pretty sure I installed the tire carrier hinges as high as they can go. The slots on the hinges are horizontal to control in and out movement not up and down movement.

Closes better than it ever did!
Just a small clip showing the open and close of the tire carrier.

So here are some difficulties I had:
  • The c-clips at the bottom of the hinges
  • alignment of the hard plastic cradle
  • Lower tire bolt(of 3 that holds tire) was painted
  • Bumpstop bolt to stop jack mount too short
  • binding noise in the factory door stop
So I will talk about these in a bit more detail here.

The c-clips. This was just hard. I had to use a wood working clamp to squeeze the hell out of the hinges to get them on. One other thing of note, instructions say to use 1 washer per hinge but I was given 3 washers. I noticed that the top hinge could use the extra washer so I used it.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Maximus-3 tire carrier installation observations 1619196432568

alignment of the hard plastic cradle

I pushed the tire carrier hinges up as high as they could go and tightened them up. I then bolted the tailgate up and it lined up perfectly to where it should be. The problem was that the hard plastic cradle, which can be adjusted up and down a bit, did not line up with the tire carrier. There wasn't enough adjustment to correct this. The tire carrier needed to be up about 3/16" higher or the metal plate that holds the plastic cradle has to be 3/16" lower.

I did try just slotting out the hard plastic cradle so that it be adjusted more but that wasn't really the problem. The real problem was the metal plate holding the cradle(tie-rod linkage plate) didn't line up with the tire carrier. You could see that by the angle of the tie-rod. One had to go up or the other had to go down.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Maximus-3 tire carrier installation observations 1619197434406

I opted to slot the tie-rod linkage plate so I could lower it. In hindsight, maybe I should have slotted the tire carrier hinges and moved it up but that was going to require starting from scratch.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Maximus-3 tire carrier installation observations 1619197643673

Lower tire bolt(of 3 that holds tire) was painted
OMG, the paint on this bolt made it impossible to thread on a lug nut!. I ended stripping it a bit and had to cut off 1/4" I then used a wire brush on a drill to strip the paint off of it. Problem solved after that.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Maximus-3 tire carrier installation observations 1619197939914

Bumpstop bolt to stop jack mount too short
I think the bolt is holding by maybe 3 threads. I'm going to ask Maximus-3 if they have any longer bolts.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Maximus-3 tire carrier installation observations 1619198394607

binding noise in the factory door stop
This was a horrific scratching noise. lol. I read somewhere others where having the same problem and it did settle down a bit. I was able to correct it by removing the factory door stop and trimming a bit of metal off of the back. WARNING! too much and it will no longer stop at the end if you pull too hard! That's what happened to me but the bump stop for the jack mount stops it anyways. Those of you who don't want the jack mount bump stop need to be aware of this.
Perfectly quiet now!
Jeep Wrangler JL My Maximus-3 tire carrier installation observations 1619198871420
Sponsored

OP
OP
TroyBoy

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
One thing I forgot to mention is that I moved the hi-lift jack mount 1” closer to the tire. This gives more room for the tailgate to swing open.

miguelroboso

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did yours open completely right from the start? I just installed mine and mine does not. The door stop gets stuck on the body, but way before reaching the full open position. I noticed that because I installed the reinforcement brackets that goes behind the passenger tail light and I see it getting hooked there.
Sponsored