DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
My few day old Rubicon had the ESS warning on and I had to bring it in. It sucks no doubt about it but they did give me a loaner vehicle. I had it for 4 or 5 days since it was a short in the wiring. They found it, its good now.

I believe the shifter is a new concept with it using a cable instead of directly connected to the tranny. I wondered if that was a good idea or not but I really dont know. It will likely be hard to get to but an easy fix and this will just be a memory. They are selling a lot of these things, its a new model year and these things do happen on occassion.

I hear you on the bronco, If they come out with a solid ft axle I will hate myself for not waiting. lol But I have had NEW fords go back to the dealer too. Go jap if you want a lessor chance of issues.
Cable linkied shifters have been around for many, many years. My Dad had a 1980 Pontiac Phoenix (the notorious X-car) with a 4 speed manual. It had cable linkage. It ran well past 300k miles without ever having a problem with that linkage. The car ran fine when finally junked. The body was just too rusted out for anyone to want it.

While the linkage is the first thing I'd look at, you never know. Every model of vehicle will have some with just about every kind of issue. There are Fiestas, believe it or not, that have had transmissions go belly up. I'm sorry to hear about OP's luck, but I'm betting it gets fixed and works fine thereafter. I don't think anyone else on the forum has had this issue, so hopefully it is a fluke and OP never sees this problem again.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bleep

Bleep

First Name
JD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2015 FIESTA!
0805182145.jpg
I even slept in it most nights.

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
This is not the NSG 370. It is a new Aisin transmission, and yes, it has cable linkage, unlike the NSG370.
Yea I mentioned that I had not looked at the new one in the first post. was just clarifying my comment on linkage/shifter.
Regardless it is something I would address before trekking across an area like the Alpine loop, desert, outback. Spare parts, harder parts something. Be nice to know what actually happened and or broke.
This is not the NSG 370. It is a new Aisin transmission, and yes, it has cable linkage, unlike the NSG370.
Yes sir, I mentioned in my first reply that I had not looked at the new one and had no idea how they were configured. I posted this just to clarify why i had mentioned linkage. The connection between a stick and the transmission (shifter mechanism).

The new design is supposed to be much smoother but I would be concerned, very concerned to go overlanding solo in the mountains, high passes, without spare parts and the tools to address this particular issue. Dont know what actually happened to OP yet but would be interested. My wife's JLUR is Auto but we have on more than one occasion helped folks with a breakdown and to know is to help. Kinda like carrying the T case spare plastic "bushing for our JKs.

Caged did make some excellent suggestions for how OP could have gotten home or to dealer though.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I should make this a Fiesta thread.

So, recently I quit my job of 15 years. Gave myself 10 days off before starting the new job. I do some amature pistol competitions with Glock pistols. I decided to take off and hit three different competitions. Fort Townsend Washington, Greeley Colorado, and finally Billings Montana. Along the way I hit the Mighty Five national parks in Utah, among many other national parks. Drove through 10 states, 5k miles. It was the trip of a lifetime.
On the way home, I stopped at Dennis Dillon and picked up my jeep that I ordered 14 weeks prior. I thought it was the greatest thing when I filled out the loan application, how long have you been at your current job? :cwl: I wrote, tomorrow. :cwl::cwl:

So I rented the dolly and towed it the rest of the way home.

I had originally planned on having the Jeep for his trip.
0807181208.jpg
Out of curiosity , how did you connect your JL to the Fiesta for the fiesta to tow the JL ? You showed a photo of the strap , but how did you connect the strap to the Fiesta ?

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
i wouldn't go solo to any remote area in any vehicle. That said, Dan Grec is doing a 2 year 80k mile trip around Africa, solo, in a JK with a 3.8. It hasn't left him stranded. (Theroadchoseme.com) I once had a Toyota 4 Runner strand my wife in the middle of a busy intersection when it's transmission's brain farted. That was a 1996 4 Runner, which is considered one of the best and most reliable 4x4's out there. I won't lose any confidence in my JL due to one that has an issue that we have not seen in a single other JL on the forum, or on another JL forum, either. This needs to be kept in perspective. I'm guessing that if parts aren't hard to come by, this might be a quick fix. Btw, I don't hear the auto tranny people freaking out even though there are a number of them that have gone wonky and wound up towed. There are probably nearly 200,000 JL's on the road by now. There are bound to be a few that have a big issue. Most won't have any major issue, at all.

If I had to take one of my Jeeps on a cross country overlanding trip, solo, right now, I'd take my JL even over my tried and true JK, without hesitation.

TheBrandon

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Mercedes also suck , according to tow truck drivers .
Can’t say I know any tow truck drivers truth be told. Though minor, my Jeep had issues that required warranty work. Every Mercedes I’ve owned has been flawless though. How about you?

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Can’t say I know any tow truck drivers truth be told. Though minor, my Jeep had issues that required warranty work. Every Mercedes I’ve owned has been flawless though. How about you?
My 99 E430 has been great. Not flawless, but never towed. It runs like new, even now. Great car. Tow truck drivers also think the food at a choke n' puke is good, too.

Jo's Jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Ironically enough, I was on a 5k mile road trip with my fiesta when I found out the jeep came in. I stopped at Dennis Dillon to pick it up on my way home. Towed the Fiesta 500 miles home.
0813181311a.jpg
So, if I'm hearing you correctly, you drove your brand new JLUR home from the dealer while towing your 2,600lb car 500 miles? That's a heck of a break in isn't it?

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I had a buddy in college who greatly enjoyed his 300SL . Even when new they were considered a classic .

I recently knew a lady who had a Mercedes , and the dealer was soaking her for repair work she didn't think was needed . I advised her to trade it in on a JKU , and she was very happy with that choice .

Whenever I see a tow truck driver at a gas station , I hobble over and ask him which vehicles he responds when stranded . They have said german vehicles , mercedes and bmw electronics problems . They never told me Jeeps .

Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
We love our BMW and a lot of it is because of this service even for oil changes. Sorry to see this isn't the case with Jeep.
I think it depends on the dealership tbh...I've only ever owned Chrysler/dodge vehicles and every dealership I've gone to offered me a loaner while my vehicle was in service, and the current dealership I'm with now, does the same. I don't think it's brand-based.

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Something to look into, but the last time I checked the thread asking what people on the forum had or were going to purchase, the majority had selected Rubicon. If that still holds true then it makes sense that most of the problems reported would be Rubi related. I hope that’s the case, because I am one of those Rubi buyers.

This is old, but according to this poll roughly 70% of forum members had or were getting a Rubicon. (Scroll to top for poll results.)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ur-configuration-here.1472/page-17#post-38706
This would be horrible if it's true that most Jeeps having these probs are Rubis. I hate to possibly "add" to this argument as I have a Base Sport and it's been pretty flawless tbh. I thought I had steering issues, but I don't, my welds seem fine...my MPG is awesome, the power is good and responsive when I need it to be. My cruise works like a dream. My uconnect...connects lol. I've been problem-free so far with 3000 miles on it and I don't foresee any other issues. If I do, its ALL G...as it's covered under factory warranty and extended. I've enjoyed every bit of my JLU Sport.

Last edited:

Geronimo

First Name
Boltz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU , 2018 JLUR, 2023 JLR all DDs
i wouldn't go solo to any remote area in any vehicle. That said, Dan Grec is doing a 2 year 80k mile trip around Africa, solo, in a JK with a 3.8. It hasn't left him stranded. (Theroadchoseme.com) I once had a Toyota 4 Runner strand my wife in the middle of a busy intersection when it's transmission's brain farted. That was a 1996 4 Runner, which is considered one of the best and most reliable 4x4's out there. I won't lose any confidence in my JL due to one that has an issue that we have not seen in a single other JL on the forum, or on another JL forum, either. This needs to be kept in perspective. I'm guessing that if parts aren't hard to come by, this might be a quick fix. Btw, I don't hear the auto tranny people freaking out even though there are a number of them that have gone wonky and wound up towed. There are probably nearly 200,000 JL's on the road by now. There are bound to be a few that have a big issue. Most won't have any major issue, at all.

If I had to take one of my Jeeps on a cross country overlanding trip, solo, right now, I'd take my JL even over my tried and true JK, without hesitation.
Forums feed on certain issues and it balloons into a crisis it seems. Our other two Jeeps were some of the most trouble free trustworthy vehicles we have ever had. Never stranded by either. I'm confident this one will be as well. We do wheel solo 90% of the time and "try" to have as many of the bases covered as we can. I would be happy with the new manual trans, but if it had an issue like the JK had (T case) I would want to have whatever part that is in question as a spare. It also may completely be a freak or even assembled incorrectly. I'm just saying I would want to know what the failure was and then decide how to proceed. I wish our Ford, Chevy, and Dodge work vans and pickups were as reliable. 2010 F250 FX 4X4 SD at 140K miles (nothing for a diesel) it dropped a rod, trashed the block....14K for new bottom end with install.

So I agree with you in that I trust these Jeeps as well or better than most vehicles. Not to mention they will do more and better than most. Gotta love em

scotland007

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU, 2016 BMW X5 35D
I think it depends on the dealership tbh...I've only ever owned Chrysler/dodge vehicles and every dealership I've gone to offered me a loaner while my vehicle was in service, and the current dealership I'm with now, does the same. I don't think it's brand-based.
In our case both vehicles (BMW and Jeep) were bought through Autonation, you would think if it was the company they would have a standard policy. Saying that we are going back in today for the 4th time for the steering play issue and now they are offering a loaner.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
In our case both vehicles (BMW and Jeep) were bought through Autonation, you would think if it was the company they would have a standard policy. Saying that we are going back in today for the 4th time for the steering play issue and now they are offering a loaner.
Are you having your Jeep repaired by Autonation ? Why not a Jeep dealer ?
Sponsored