Sponsored

My JlU Rubicon keeps throwing rocks on to itself. Fender protection?

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
The fenders are not painted, I have attached a picture.

image.jpg
Ouch. Damn, well that changes everything. That's really extreme. Where are you driving to throw up that many rocks....that's really a ton of chips into the plastic no less.
Sponsored

ddlang

First Name
Diane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Ouch. Damn, well that changes everything. That's really extreme. Where are you driving to throw up that many rocks....that's really a ton of chips into the plastic no less.
I have a gravel driveway but I had my JK on the same surface.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
Not sure if this has been posted already
Amazon has the clear paint protector “ tape” similar to what is on the Rubicon’s rear flares
I did my door sills and many other spots on my GC. Less then $20 and your done
I have used clear vinyl sign “Wrap” but it’s not as thick and started to yellow in a short amount of time

Outwest970

First Name
Warren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Amazon has the clear paint protector “ tape” similar to what is on the Rubicon’s rear flares
I have used clear vinyl sign “Wrap” but it’s not as thick and started to yellow in a short amount of time

@Rich, something like this? Would the 4" width be wide enough (they also sell it in 6" and 12" width).

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You nailed it!!! I bought the 4 x 96. And it works great, I actually put it down and then put Mopar sill guards. The drivers door I did a double layer due to my work boots. I think you’ll be happy with the VVIVID 3M protector tape

Sponsored

Archer60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Cherokee Trailhawk, 2018 JLUR
You nailed it!!! I bought the 4 x 96. And it works great, I actually put it down and then put Mopar sill guards. The drivers door I did a double layer due to my work boots. I think you’ll be happy with the VVIVID 3M protector tape

I just rec'd the same tape. No installation directions with it. Is there a video for this? I checked vvivid site and no luck.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
There are instructions on 3M`s website . What I did was use blue painters tape to make sure there weren’t any issues. Once I figured out the areas I wanted to use the protective tape I took a picture of all the locations, then one at a time I removed the painters tape and cleaned the area with alcohol. Let dry for a minute or two then proceed to put the clear tape where the painters tape was, if not sure look at the corresponding picture. Some people start at the top, others from the bottom up. Just cut the piece a little longer just in case, then apply it to the freshly cleaned surface. The last one I did also used Mopar sill guards, I put the tape slightly under the sill plate, you don’t want the sill plate adhesive to go on the protective tape. He was happy as can be when it was finished

AggieJeepGuy

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (replaced 2007 JKUR); 2016 Durango Brass Monkey edition; 2011 Expedition; 2002 Trans Am WS6 6spd
Vehicle Showcase

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Here is another option

Jibba

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Wow ddlang! I thought mine was bad. That is unacceptable imo. I have painted flares and and they are chipping too. Looks terrible for a vehicle that only has 3,000 miles and has spent 99% of the time on pavement. I agree this is a design flaw. No way Jeep expects everyone’s fenders to look like that normally. And I shouldn’t have to put tape on them to protect them from this “flaw”. I’ve had 2 other wranglers and this was not a problem.

Sponsored

gunny71

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2door stingray rubicon 2012 Jk 2door sport
I use my jeep for work in the west texas oilfield two weeks at a time. I drive at least 1000 miles a month on gravel lease roads. I've had my Rubicon two and a half weeks and my rear fender flares look worse than any on this thread. Has anyone tried the mudflaps, and do they go on and off easily? My flares are unpainted and have no factory protection.

Will_Jeep

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2108 JKU Sahara, Black 2016 Mercedes CLS400
Vehicle Showcase
I use my jeep for work in the west texas oilfield two weeks at a time. I drive at least 1000 miles a month on gravel lease roads. I've had my Rubicon two and a half weeks and my rear fender flares look worse than any on this thread. Has anyone tried the mudflaps, and do they go on and off easily? My flares are unpainted and have no factory protection.
You may want to look at this thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/mudflaps-and-rubicon-flares.4435/

Aage

First Name
Aki
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 2020, 2.2L diesel
Has anyone found a mud flap/guard for the front fenders on the a Rubicon yet?
I have a rubicon 2020 with Mud guards installed. First you need to trim or cut the rock guard a little , its to long and sticks into the wheel well. Just remove it and cut it, then the mud guards will fit fine.

Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 20.14.27.jpg

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
I have a rubicon 2020 with Mud guards installed. First you need to trim or cut the rock guard a little , its to long and sticks into the wheel well. Just remove it and cut it, then the mud guards will fit fine.

Jeep Wrangler JL My JlU Rubicon keeps throwing rocks on to itself. Fender protection? Screenshot 2020-09-13 at 20.14.27
So is the rock guard you have to cut the aftermarket part your putting on? What brand is the mud guard? Do you have a link?
Sponsored