Sponsored

My JL won’t turn on after switching speakers out!! Push button start does nothing!

WTFSoCal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Network/Systems Engineer
So as of now nothing I’ve done works. On the brightside I’m loving the music system. I just like to hop in playing music and cry cause it won’t Fu***** start 😅🥲😂. Apparently the batteries are good, I only snipped old speaker wire cables and all the connections are solid. I have a tow truck coming to slide it out of my garage and take it to the dealership near by. Also the fuses I could test were all good to go, I have no idea what it could be.
Im willing to bet that you shorted the positive battery cable on the to engine someplace and it blew one of the main fuses on the main array on the PDC. Im not sure of the correct terminal you need to look at, but you can run a continuity test to determine which of these fuse(s) popped when you shorted the battery cable.
Im referring to the area surrounded in yellow in this picture...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/POWER-DISTRIBUTION-CENTER-LAYOUT.pdf

In that diagram, look at the legend (right side toward the bottom for several high amp fuses, 300,150,125,60 amps... those are the ones you need to check... you will have to disconnect BOTH batteries and replace it if your continuity check fails.
I have a spare one of these just in case...
Check this thread for that.. and be aware there are two different fuses, depending on if you have the tow package or not...
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/internal-fuses-in-the-pdc.15456/
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dcleblanc

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep wrangler jl
I just replaced the speakers, cut the old speakers cables off from behind the speakers. Installed the new ones and ran the new wires back to the amp which I have yet to connect. I wanted to move the car real quick so I connected the battery again and big surprise. The push button does nothing! 🥺 If I turn on the headlights they work and If I press on the brake the display lights up as well but everytime I push the button to turn the car on, nada. No lights nothing. Help!
I bet it's the battery. Same thing happened to me. If you don't disconnect the two batteries correctly it will kill them.

OP
OP

Michaelrodz01

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
UPDATE! So I took it to the dealership here in Italy (I’m military and stationed in Italy) and mind you there are not the best so to speak. They just got back to me after 3 days of having it and they say they think all the cables are burned and they need to replace them for $1k plus. I told them to check the high amp fuses next to the fuse box and they said they’re “good”. What do you guys think?

bigfoot21075

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2012 Ford F350
UPDATE! So I took it to the dealership here in Italy (I’m military and stationed in Italy) and mind you there are not the best so to speak. They just got back to me after 3 days of having it and they say they think all the cables are burned and they need to replace them for $1k plus. I told them to check the high amp fuses next to the fuse box and they said they’re “good”. What do you guys think?
IMHO if there were an electrical fire that "burned the cables" you would certainly smell that. IF you get the work done, make sure you get the old parts back. Sorry I don't have anything more for you, maybe someone else will...

Sponsored

cnapierala

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR
Have they shown you the burnt cables? Id ask them to give a better explanation and show you in person if possible.

OP
OP

Michaelrodz01

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2018
Have they shown you the burnt cables? Id ask them to give a better explanation and show you in person if possible.
I’m sending someone over to take pictures after they reach their “diagnosis” I’m in quarantine until 4 days from today so I can’t go.

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
My money is on a fuse.

WTFSoCal

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
JLU 2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Network/Systems Engineer
If something shorted to the extent that the insulation on the wiring began to melt, you would have smelled a really bad burning plastic odor. I had a short not too long ago where my alternator cable came in contact with the exhaust manifold the insulation melted, then shorted on the manifold and the cable actually got so hot from shorting, it caught fire. I smelled it right away. it also popped the fuse at N7 on that diagram.
Like others have stated, you need to get eyes on these "burned wires" to see if they are trying to sell you something you don't need.

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Sounds like they have absolutely no idea what is going on and made something up to get paid for screwing around. I’d go in and have them explain it to you in person.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Doesn't seem like a battery or fuse related issue, I suspect keyless ignition node and/or the radio-freq hub and/or the related connectors.
Jeep Wrangler JL My JL won’t turn on after switching speakers out!! Push button start does nothing! 1613659509126

NCIC105

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
I think the big problem is when the dealer said “We Think The Problem Is”
Sponsored