Sponsored

My JL has had several major issues in first 10k miles, what should i do?

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Looking at Jeep stuff all day
Vehicle Showcase
So my JLUR 2020 is at 9k miles so far the Transmission needed to be rebuilt, the coolant water pump replaced, and the steering box replaced. Not feeling great about the quality.. Seriously considering ditching the thing before the warranty expires. I put about 6k into the suspension wheels and tires, but i guess i could transfer them to a new one, once warranty runs out... What would you guys do? And has anyone else had this many problem with there JL this early?
Sponsored

Elm

First Name
S
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW
Sleep...Repeat. Has the Jeep ever left you stranded wouldn't start or move ?

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sleep...Repeat. Has the Jeep ever left you stranded wouldn't start or move ?
no, the transmission was a close call but I figured out if I shifted it into drive really quick before the electrical system fully booted I would move forward, reverse was not an option.. but itgot itself to the dealership... the steering issue in the last few weeks made it feel unsafe to drive at over 50 miles per hour... so while technically the answerto your question is no, would I trust it with my wife and children to drive thru a risky or rural area .. I would not, and when I am 20 miles off the road it feel significant fear that something will go wrong and I will have to hike out

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I think the beginning of a vehicles life is very important. That's when defects show themselves and you'll learn whether you have a good car or nor(this goes for Jeep or any other vehicle). Generally if it's clear for the first few months off the lot it'll be good for it's life barring mileage/age wear. A faulty radio isn't a big deal but a bad transmission and water pump is.

Personally I would keep it 3 years and get rid of it. 90% of headaches occur with 10% of vehicles and I would bet this Jeep is a part of that 10%.

Sponsored

Mathami

First Name
Saeed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL 4D Sport
So my JLUR 2020 is at 9k miles so far the Transmission needed to be rebuilt, the coolant water pump replaced, and the steering box replaced. Not feeling great about the quality.. Seriously considering ditching the thing before the warranty expires. I put about 6k into the suspension wheels and tires, but i guess i could transfer them to a new one, once warranty runs out... What would you guys do? And has anyone else had this many problem with there JL this early?
Sorry to hear that, seems your Jeep was a Monday built

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Wow, that's brutal. It is such a headache to deal with auto issues. When its a new vehicle it's even worse. Sounds like you should trade that lemon in.

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Time to trade it in if it's working now. Value is never better than it will be today.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
The steering box is common - the other two are not. The water pump is not likely to recur. That said a rebuilt transmission Would give me pause. Personally, I would wait a year for the mid cycle refresh before doing anything. You’ve already have taken a huge depreciation hit...you might as well drive out some of the warranty miles before taking another ginormous depreciation hit. I don’t blame you for wanting to dump the junk. You might even want to look at a Bronco unless you rock crawl. Rewarding Jeep with another sale because of horrible quality is counterintuitive.

Sponsored

ToPar9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Altitude
I am in the same boat. Yet to flip 10K, dropped it off at the dealership today. Won't know anything until late Monday, most likely Tuesday at the earliest. Service dude didn't seem very excited after pulling codes.

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear that, seems your Jeep was a Monday built
ya it was one of the first few months of the 2020, but the JL has been made for years.. but major components needing to be replaced in 3 different systems in the vehicle.. is concerning.. sounds like somebody certainly had a case of the MUNNNNDAYS (office quote).
The steering box is common - the other two are not. The water pump is not likely to recur. That said a rebuilt transmission Would give me pause. Personally, I would wait a year for the mid cycle refresh before doing anything. You’ve already have taken a huge depreciation hit...you might as well drive out some of the warranty miles before taking another ginormous depreciation hit. I don’t blame you for wanting to dump the junk. You might even want to look at a Bronco unless you rock crawl. Rewarding Jeep with another sale because of horrible quality is counterintuitive.
You are inline with my thinking 100% however this is my 2nd wrangler, and 4th Jeep overall.. each of the others had one repair or less in the first year... even though my first car was an old bronco and I loved it, I am not sure I can abandon the brand.. after one bad vehicle... something about me just loves the Jeep, and I don’t react to the new bronco in the way I do when I see an awesome Jeep... I think I will wait till I am close to the end of the warranty, see what happens, maybe all the bad parts are replaced now... if not then dump it and get a 2023 rubicon ... maybe by then more of the bugs will be ironed out... my 2016 jk was a solid vehicle

OP
OP
SleepEatJeepRepeat

SleepEatJeepRepeat

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 Audi Q7
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I am in the same boat. Yet to flip 10K, dropped it off at the dealership today. Won't know anything until late Monday, most likely Tuesday at the earliest. Service dude didn't seem very excited after pulling codes.
which failure are you having, the transmission or steeringbox?
Sponsored