Sponsored

My Jeep left us stranded in the middle of nowhere for 3 hours!

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
If you smelled fuel I would say it is the throttle control module (little black box). Back in the old days it used to happen climbing steep hills or going down steep hills. The Jeep would literally run out of gas or flood the carb. But now days the ECU monitors literally everything. If it sensed excess fuel request Like (full throttle, due to failure) It is like a safety and shuts down the ignition. Its a PITA but necessary. I am seriously thinking about just stashing one in the stow away after reading some of these posts. Keep us up to date
The JL is drive-by-wire. Stability control & rev limiter would likely cut fuel.
Sponsored

NickL

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB
That same thing happened to me on my 2011 Power Wagon. It died on Hell's Revenge in Moab and after a couple of hours it started but further down the trail It died again and left me stranded. I had the same throttle control light on. After we got it out we figured it to be the gas pedal assembly. The gas pedal assembly has a little black box attached to it that went bad. Back then the Power Wagon and the Wrangler used the same assembly. I wonder if the same problem still exists. Once I got the part (had to rent a car and drive to Salt Lake City and back to get it) it was an easy fix. It's just held on with two nuts.

I had a hard time trusting the Power Wagon after that for a while but finally figured out that I didn't want to miss out on rides just because it might happen again so I just ignored that inner feeling and started to go anywhere I wanted again. It took a while but eventually that inner feeling went away and I started trusting her again. The problem didn't happen again.

Good Luck! I hope you find it to be something easy to fix!
Most auto parts stores will let you use their OBDP Reader. Then google the error code.

JeepJohn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JL
So Iā€™m on a camping trip near Kingman AZ. We did a moderate ohv trail which connected to a maintained Blm road. I stoped and attempted a u turn to see a mine close by and the Jeep died with a fuel smell and the throttle control light on. I attempted to restart several times to no avail. We were literally in the middle of nowhere. Barley a cell signal and no data. I attempted to contact FCA and the call dropped 3 times. I then called a tow company and was able to arrange the tow due to the tow guy going above and beyond to locate us. While he was in route 3 hours later I attempted to start the vehicle and it started! So we headed out and called the tow guy who was amazing and waited for us to get back to civilization. He was truly amazing. So now I sit at my camp site having completely lost faith in my Jeep. I have 2 days left on this trip and canā€™t rely on my Jeep to take me where I want to go. Sad day.
What are the specs on your Jeep?

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

The third time it wouldn't start was on my way to Carmax to unload the piece of s**t. I waited 15 minutes and it started up. Like you, I lost all faith and trust in the vehicle. I never wanted to see it again.
ugh, i couldnt deal with that depreciation hit. that's when a rag and zippo suddenly enter my life.

Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
you havent experienced true offroading unless you get stranded in the middle of nowhere for a few hours. welcome to the club!!!

RubenZ

First Name
Ruben
Threads
Reaction score
Website
myjlproject.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford F-250, 18ā€™ Toyota 4Runner
Is it me or is every break down post the same? My Jeep broke, I've lost confidence! I miss the days of my Jeep broke, this is how I fixed it.
With the electronics in Jeeps these days those days are long gone man.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
I had the same thing happen middle of Beverly Hills a week ago. Had a fuel smell. Total stall. Would not start. Dealer said it was bad gas. All cylinders were misfiring per error code. Iā€™m guessing tanker deliveries are sketchy (the source of supply, oversupply issues storing fuel in old storage bins, etc) due to this COVID-19 bull $h*t. Iā€™ve never had a bad tank of guess in my life.

Sponsored

Pingbling23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara 3.6 eTorque
I had the same thing happen middle of Beverly Hills a week ago. Had a fuel smell. Total stall. Would not start. Dealer said it was bad gas. All cylinders were misfiring per error code. Iā€™m guessing tanker deliveries are sketchy (the source of supply, oversupply issues storing fuel in old storage bins, etc) due to this COVID-19 bull $h*t. Iā€™ve never had a bad tank of guess in my life.
its crazy what bad gas can do. when i was younger, my father and I went with one of his friends four wheeling. we filled up the transport vehicle and two quads with gas and all had issues that day from bad gas.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
its crazy what bad gas can do. when i was younger, my father and I went with one of his friends four wheeling. we filled up the transport vehicle and two quads with gas and all had issues that day from bad gas.
Years ago I had a diesel Sprinter van for my plumbing business. I got a water filled bad tank of diesel. After breaking down on the highway, my list of expenses were.....
Highway tow
Fuel tank removed
New fuel pump
New fuel injectors (heads had to come off)
Rented van
Lost work
Grand total of 6k. Called the BBB on the service station. By the time they investigated this dude cleaned his tank. Expenses were all mine. One of the downfalls of having your own business.

HardRock

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Rubicon JK Hard Rock Edition (FL); 2018 Rubicon JL (CA)
Years ago I had a diesel Sprinter van for my plumbing business. I got a water filled bad tank of diesel. After breaking down on the highway, my list of expenses were.....
Highway tow
Fuel tank removed
New fuel pump
New fuel injectors (heads had to come off)
Rented van
Lost work
Grand total of 6k. Called the BBB on the service station. By the time they investigated this dude cleaned his tank. Expenses were all mine. One of the downfalls of having your own business.
Damn! 10char

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .
OP
OP
AZ Hella

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Well no explanation from the dealer. All the electronics check out. I guess we will call this one a gremlin.
Sponsored