Sponsored

My Jeep left us stranded in the middle of nowhere for 3 hours!

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I went to the auto parts store yesterday and asked for a wiper blade for my Yugo. The guy behind the counter said " Okay, thats a fair trade "
Hurry, and get hell outta there before he comes to his senses and changes his mind.............. :)
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
It may not have helped at all but I can't imagine driving almost anywhere beyond the local grocery store without a code reader. I carry one in every vehicle. Or get an ELM plus Torque plus smartphone.

Reactions: GtX

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLR 2.0
Imagine if the throttle were opened by a cable! That would be dreamy. I wonder how long it will be before human technology can achieve such a thing.
You're just trading one electronic thing for a few others. DBW doesn't need an IAC or cruise control module.

Pourboire

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL
So Iā€™m on a camping trip near Kingman AZ. We did a moderate ohv trail which connected to a maintained Blm road. I stoped and attempted a u turn to see a mine close by and the Jeep died with a fuel smell and the throttle control light on. I attempted to restart several times to no avail. We were literally in the middle of nowhere. Barley a cell signal and no data. I attempted to contact FCA and the call dropped 3 times. I then called a tow company and was able to arrange the tow due to the tow guy going above and beyond to locate us. While he was in route 3 hours later I attempted to start the vehicle and it started! So we headed out and called the tow guy who was amazing and waited for us to get back to civilization. He was truly amazing. So now I sit at my camp site having completely lost faith in my Jeep. I have 2 days left on this trip and canā€™t rely on my Jeep to take me where I want to go. Sad day.
I can sympathize with your situation. I once bought a new jeep and at
2000K miles it just died. I waited about 30 minutes and it started. I drove
it again for 10 minutes and it died again. This time it would not start. I
walked the 2 miles home (didn't have my cell when it died). Called a tow
truck and had it towed to dealership. After 2 days the dealership called and informed me that they couldn't find the failure mode, the jeep started
etc... Then they called again and found that the PCM was defective. They
replaced and problem disappeared. Ove the next year several more unsolved problems surfaced which were never corrected. SOLD IT. My
new JL has been not plagued YET. I did notice on the forum that their was a recall for the PCM, but was never informed. Note, I waited 2 years for BMW to receive and replace the 2 front air bags.

Sponsored

El Jefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Looking forward to finding out what the ultimate root cause of the issue us.

OP
OP
AZ Hella

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
It may not have helped at all but I can't imagine driving almost anywhere beyond the local grocery store without a code reader. I carry one in every vehicle. Or get an ELM plus Torque plus smartphone.
Looking forward to finding out what the ultimate root cause of the issue us.
cant get to the dealer till Thursday. Iā€™ll keep you guys in the loop.

GGolds

First Name
Gerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 2019 JLU Sahara. 3.6, V6. Mojito with a black hard top. Tan leather. 2019 Jeep Cherokee Limited.
Occupation
Paramedic
So Iā€™m on a camping trip near Kingman AZ. We did a moderate ohv trail which connected to a maintained Blm road. I stoped and attempted a u turn to see a mine close by and the Jeep died with a fuel smell and the throttle control light on. I attempted to restart several times to no avail. We were literally in the middle of nowhere. Barley a cell signal and no data. I attempted to contact FCA and the call dropped 3 times. I then called a tow company and was able to arrange the tow due to the tow guy going above and beyond to locate us. While he was in route 3 hours later I attempted to start the vehicle and it started! So we headed out and called the tow guy who was amazing and waited for us to get back to civilization. He was truly amazing. So now I sit at my camp site having completely lost faith in my Jeep. I have 2 days left on this trip and canā€™t rely on my Jeep to take me where I want to go. Sad day.
Sorry you had that experience. I had a new Toyota 4Runner Limited that did the same thing on a trip to Maine. Never had a breakdown in any of my Jeeps. It's not a "JEEP" thing, it's an, "everything" mechanical breaks at some point thing". No matter how good a vehicle is, shit happens. The healthiest people break at times, the most reliable things break, the least reliable things sometimes don't break. It's a life thing. Most trips in your Jeep will be successful. Most flights on plains don't crash land, but sometimes they do. Fiat makes a LOT of airline engines. They rarely catch fire. Law Of Attraction. Thoughts become things. Think good positive thoughts, mostly good positive things happen. Ya, that really does work also. Life can be good fun, go have some. Even the pandemic will end soon. Live on.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Garmin InReach is excellent. A must have if hiking in remote areas.

The infotainment with Guardian is a good back up also. I think it links via satellite. They can even tell what code was thrown on their end.
Yes to the Garmin, hard no to Guardian being satellite biased just AT&T. SiruisXm Tunes yes, GPS yes, Guardian No. that sales pitch myth is across all car manufacturers telematic add on services.

Sponsored

HDinkH

First Name
Holly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2.0
My Jeep was in the shop 10 times in 6 months starting 8 days after purchase. It stranded me three different times. Twice the Jeep started up immediately for the tow driver and the dealer could never replicate most of the issues. The third time it wouldn't start was on my way to Carmax to unload the piece of s**t. I waited 15 minutes and it started up. Like you, I lost all faith and trust in the vehicle. I never wanted to see it again.

I suggest documenting everything the Jeep does and/or doesn't do and contact Jeep Wave so a case manager will have it all on record. Although sadly enough, Jeep never stood behind its vehicle so I took a big hit when I sold it.

Good luck!

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Long shot, did you overfill your tank before trip and how many miles did you drive from full? After pump clicks off restarting to get the last drop in can fill the vapor canister with fuel. Then when driving temps go up and more expanded fuel goes in. Then that fuel will flood out the engine when sucked in. Presto like any flooded engine it starts later. Again a long shot but user error or sticking evap valve and it happens.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Yes to the Garmin, hard no to Guardian being satellite biased just AT&T. SiruisXm Tunes yes, GPS yes, Guardian No. that sales pitch myth is across all car manufacturers telematic add on services.
Thanks for the correction on the Guardian. OnStar probably was the first to start the marketing myth.

UtahDirt

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Punk'n Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the correction on the Guardian. OnStar probably was the first to start the marketing myth.
Forgive me,I have been binge watching SouthPark, so an image of a satellite has popping out of the tailpipe like it did out of Cartmanā€™s uhh tailpipe formed when I read your post. Scumy marketing and they get away with it because few use the service and when they do are in urban or interstates where cell service is common

aeonixx1001

First Name
Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
If you smelled fuel I would say it is the throttle control module (little black box). Back in the old days it used to happen climbing steep hills or going down steep hills. The Jeep would literally run out of gas or flood the carb. But now days the ECU monitors literally everything. If it sensed excess fuel request Like (full throttle, due to failure) It is like a safety and shuts down the ignition. Its a PITA but necessary. I am seriously thinking about just stashing one in the stow away after reading some of these posts. Keep us up to date
Sponsored