Sponsored

My Jeep left us stranded in the middle of nowhere for 3 hours!

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m on a camping trip near Kingman AZ. We did a moderate ohv trail which connected to a maintained Blm road. I stoped and attempted a u turn to see a mine close by and the Jeep died with a fuel smell and the throttle control light on. I attempted to restart several times to no avail. We were literally in the middle of nowhere. Barley a cell signal and no data. I attempted to contact FCA and the call dropped 3 times. I then called a tow company and was able to arrange the tow due to the tow guy going above and beyond to locate us. While he was in route 3 hours later I attempted to start the vehicle and it started! So we headed out and called the tow guy who was amazing and waited for us to get back to civilization. He was truly amazing. So now I sit at my camp site having completely lost faith in my Jeep. I have 2 days left on this trip and can’t rely on my Jeep to take me where I want to go. Sad day.
Sponsored

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
So I’m on a camping trip near Kingman AZ. We did a moderate ohv trail which connected to a maintained Blm road. I stoped and attempted a u turn to see a mine close by and the Jeep died with a fuel smell and the throttle control light on. I attempted to restart several times to no avail. We were literally in the middle of nowhere. Barley a cell signal and no data. I attempted to contact FCA and the call dropped 3 times. I then called a tow company and was able to arrange the tow due to the tow guy going above and beyond to locate us. While he was in route 3 hours later I attempted to start the vehicle and it started! So we headed out and called the tow guy who was amazing and waited for us to get back to civilization. He was truly amazing. So now I sit at my camp site having completely lost faith in my Jeep. I have 2 days left on this trip and can’t rely on my Jeep to take me where I want to go. Sad day.
I’m sorry to hear this Mark. I can imagine how devastating this must be to you. Hopefully it will be a simple fix, and you will have confidence in your vehicle again. Just keep in mind, even the vehicles with the highest rankings in the industry for reliability have had this happen too. Could it possibly have been bad fuel?

OP
OP
AZ Hella

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m sorry to hear this Mark. I can imagine how devastating this must be to you. Hopefully it will be a simple fix, and you will have confidence in your vehicle again. Just keep in mind, even the vehicles with the highest rankings in the industry for reliability have had this happen too. Could it possibly have been bad fuel?
I don’t think it’s fuel at all. I have been racking my brain tonight I don’t know what’s going on. I did have a Jeep wave oil change 2 days ago but I can’t see that as the issue. I do have a manual and have been smelling clutch lately. Maybe overheating? But then why the throttle system?
It sticks there are so many cool trails here I want to do.

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
That same thing happened to me on my 2011 Power Wagon. It died on Hell's Revenge in Moab and after a couple of hours it started but further down the trail It died again and left me stranded. I had the same throttle control light on. After we got it out we figured it to be the gas pedal assembly. The gas pedal assembly has a little black box attached to it that went bad. Back then the Power Wagon and the Wrangler used the same assembly. I wonder if the same problem still exists. Once I got the part (had to rent a car and drive to Salt Lake City and back to get it) it was an easy fix. It's just held on with two nuts.

I had a hard time trusting the Power Wagon after that for a while but finally figured out that I didn't want to miss out on rides just because it might happen again so I just ignored that inner feeling and started to go anywhere I wanted again. It took a while but eventually that inner feeling went away and I started trusting her again. The problem didn't happen again.

Good Luck! I hope you find it to be something easy to fix!

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Good idea to get it to a dealer or get a reader on it to see if it has a code latched. The Power Wagon story sounds like it was a throttle position sensor. Might be the case for the JL too.

Sponsored

Medsker

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Good idea to get it to a dealer or get a reader on it to see if it has a code latched. The Power Wagon story sounds like it was a throttle position sensor. Might be the case for the JL too.
Could be the throttle position sensor light... Its been a few years and I'm old :)

Last edited:

fat_head

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
I hope you get it fixed. That would shake any confidence I had in the Jeep too. I think it's a good reminder though to have satellite coms when you go out in the middle of nowhere by yourself. Garmin inReach can literally be a life saver.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Is it me or is every break down post the same? My Jeep broke, I've lost confidence! I miss the days of my Jeep broke, this is how I fixed it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AZ Hella

AZ Hella

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’m waiting at the dealer in Kingman AZ. Not the best camping trip for sure.

wv18jl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Neutral safety switch?
Or whatever the correct term is.
Sponsored