Sponsored

My Jeep JL rollover accident on the highway yesterday!

parrotheadphan

First Name
Mike (aka Kirk)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Firecracker Red, 3.6l, 8 spd auto
Occupation
Digital arts & photography teacher
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you birdman. Truly thanks. This accident has made me more conscious on road and I have to say. I feel freight driving now last few days. It sucks! Today by the way insurance called to tell me they favored on my side due to GREAT people who witness and wrote police report on my behalf. Thanks buddy!
Glad to hear they sided 100% with you! And glad to hear and see that you are ok. I always tell my son that when I worry it isn't necessarily his driving as much as it is the other drivers out there. It always amazes me how crazy people are on the roads. If owe would all put down the phones, makeup, shavers (yes I have seen guys shaving on the way to work), food, and take a very deep breath, we all will get were we need to go in plenty of time. And, most likely, in one safe piece!
Sponsored

ormandj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR X 4xe
A local Jeep club member here in Austin just rolled their white JLUR yesterday. Not sure if they are a member here or not, but I wanted to post this as a Warning to everyone...

They were on the Hwy doing I guess 65mph and it's been terribly windy here the last few weeks. The wind somehow got under the Jeep and flipped it over. Not joking. I have felt a big wind gust before and it's not fun, but at no point did I ever think this could happen.

Totally stock Rubi, only 3 weeks old they said. The people came out without a scratch and were fine, but I'm sure emotionally traumatized now. As if driving in heavy wind isn't enough, now we have this to think about.

Here's the link to the FB post, but you need to be on FB to see all of it.

https://www[.]facebook[.]com/groups/AustinJeepPeople/permalink/2334388579966446/

49112356_10218770139633243_8524944336582868992_n.jpg

Now quick, everyone rush out and get wider wheels and/or spacers. It just may help save your life by widening your stance.
I find it extremely hard to believe that wind 'flipped' the Jeep. I'm glad they are OK, but that's a bit more than far-fetched. I'd be very curious for someone to explain how wind tossed a Jeep completely over, short of a tornado/hurricane. I would suspect it was more likely driver-error combined with a solid f/r axle vehicle, with a high CoG. Remember all the news coverage of Jeep rollovers, on every new release? Get ready for it, we'll be seeing it again it would appear.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I find it extremely hard to believe that wind 'flipped' the Jeep. I'm glad they are OK, but that's a bit more than far-fetched. I'd be very curious for someone to explain how wind tossed a Jeep completely over, short of a tornado/hurricane. I would suspect it was more likely driver-error combined with a solid f/r axle vehicle, with a high CoG. Remember all the news coverage of Jeep rollovers, on every new release? Get ready for it, we'll be seeing it again it would appear.
I know, I am still in denial as well, but I have to take their word for it. I wonder the wider steering helps (wheel offset). My Jeep has a really wide stance compared to stock (tires extend about 3 inches past the fenders). Also I wonder if a lift helps because it allows more wind to pass under the Jeep, vs. into it. :idea: Where are the Mythbusters when you need 'em!

RussJeep1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara
I am both glad it didn't happen in a power top sans back windows, and equally curious, in controlled conditions, how said top might fair sans back windows in a barrel roll situation.

Sponsored

Mattyp1214

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2018 JLUR
Maximus and rhino rack held up amazingly well considering it had weight of vehicle on it

DerekPB

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Reverse Engineering
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you rolled with it .... And are here with us all. Hope to meet up on the trails in the comming years

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
I totally believe it I've been going down the highway with my new JL 2018 37 inch tires and the Mopar lift which is aboutI 3 inchs. I was so scared I slow down to about 40 miles an hour the wind was so strong I just knew it was going to flip me I knew it was. Here in Dallas Fort Worth we had a trash truck and a 18-wheeler semi turned over on the road flipped over because of the high winds and can happen. When you jack something up in the air when can get underneath it. when we were at the Sand dunes in Oklahoma Little Sahara doing about 30 coming down the hill the wind caught me with some heavy strong out there and pick the back in up and flipped it and I did a double flip and broke my back and I was going 30 miles an hour yes it can happened. You got a good guss of wind and it can flip over anyting

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
First things first. I’m ok. The Jeep and its roll bar plus added seatbelt saved my life!

So I was traveling on highway left lane and some driver was behind me. Next thing I see him pull into the right lane bolting to try and pass me. There was a car in front of him and I could see he was not going to make it as he tried to switch back into my lane. I could see his car about to hit mine so I veered left away from him onto the dirt part of the road. Soon as I hit that dirt my Jeep started to go left right left right. I could not control it trying to straighten her out. Well at one point she just kept pointing to the right as my front bumper hit his rear left and that’s when it happened. When it happened I had no idea it was rolling guys. I thought I was being bombarded by other vehicles on the highway but I was actually rolling!! I do remember seeing sparks and smoke as the sheer terror went through my body. The fear of thinking this is it I’m not going to be around anymore was nothing I ever felt before! Death is a scary thought!

Well it finally came to a stop and at that moment I did not know where I was. I tried to open door and it would not budge. I then actually started to come to my senses and realized that I was sideways. The passenger side was on the ground. I then realized wait I saw sparks and smoke. I said to myself you have to get out this Jeep now it could ignite. I released the seat belt and dropped my legs down to the passenger door feet first. I then proceeded to lift my arms and get the latch and push the door open. I then climbed out in horror as there were 2 motorists helping me out. I came out and checked as I had no pain at the time due to my adrenaline running through me.

The 2 motorists sat me down and consoled me till ambulance and police arrived. No other drivers were injured. I didn’t know what happened yet. They explained to me: your Jeep rolled a few times. I was like no way as all the noise I heard and banging motion was other cars hitting me but I was wrong. The Jeep was rolling!

I had all test done cat scans etc. I came out clean. Just a lump on top my head and whiplash and sore on my body. People - I’m alive and kicking. Thanks the good lord. I’m so lucky. So lucky! I only have these 2 shots which really don’t paint the whole picture. I went to see police this morning as he told me last night they would get my wallet, cell phone and iPad. They got it all! He also mentioned my story which I explained last night matched the 3 witnesses’ stories exactly. I was also lucky in that respect for them helping me out! In the end my super wife of 20 years met me at the hospital emergency trauma center. She cried I cried as we told each other how much we love each other! We were both so glad I was just alive and healthy! Folks it was scary so scary so be SAFE out there always and have respect for those other maniac drivers cause they can hurt you in the end. I don’t have many pics as I made a video this morning for insurance purposes.

69FB9DF2-1DFA-4E0C-95B3-1C3DC7118CD3.jpeg

A0CBCC80-2C61-4566-BCC6-7914EFB5A5ED.jpeg

8D34A471-35AB-441D-88A3-E35793A39787.jpeg

A7AE86B3-DBFC-438B-91BE-887F5F52B401.jpeg
I totally believe you I've had my Jeep almost flip over before just 18 wheelers passing you throws the Jeep around everyone knows that. Mine's lifted with a 37 inch tire the wind has gone underneath mind almost flip me I know how it feels by slowed down really quick it scares me. Anytime you lift something and get higher off the ground there's more wind that can get underneath. that's why I hate taking my Jeep on long road trips out of state we take the car or the suburban. Why doesn't understand why I can't take my Jeep I told her it's not luxury vehicle to go out of state in. some people may drive a long road trips but I don't not going to dosome it's more fun to go off roading and in town and she's mad because I spent a lot of money on it and I don't take it on 8 hour road trips. I even flipped my RZR low-to-the-ground at the sand dunes coming over Hill that's how I broke my back. And I was doing 30 miles an hour coming over hill

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
Nothing not nice about the question . . . fact is I was going to ask IT in a less Nice way myself ! Why ? Because on numerous occasions I've been "that guy" having to figure away around some J.O. farting around with his cell phone or some other "thing" while his (or her) foot fell asleep on the gas peddle . Gotta be CAREFUL though cause you never know what state of mind the "idiot" in front & in the wrong lane (the passing lane) is in or how he/she will react to YOUR means of trying to get them to "move over" ! Boy I can tell ya, I've been on both sides of this one and it CAN get Ugly ! I encourage ALL to be LESS aggressive and play the safe card . And DRIVE IN THE CORRECT LANE .

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
Nothing not nice about the question . . . fact is I was going to ask IT in a less Nice way myself ! Why ? Because on numerous occasions I've been "that guy" having to figure away around some J.O. farting around with his cell phone or some other "thing" while his (or her) foot fell asleep on the gas peddle . Gotta be CAREFUL though cause you never know what state of mind the "idiot" in front & in the wrong lane (the passing lane) is in or how he/she will react to YOUR means of trying to get them to "move over" ! Boy I can tell ya, I've been on both sides of this one and it CAN get Ugly ! I encourage ALL to be LESS aggressive and play the safe card . And DRIVE IN THE CORRECT LANE .
I understand what you're saying but driving in the left lane is it going to make you flip compared to the right lane.the issue was the wind anyone has has a Jeep lifted with big tires has had a couple occasions where the wind was really moving them pretty bad it might have scared him a little bit I have

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
I understand what you're saying but driving in the left lane is it going to make you flip compared to the right lane.the issue was the wind anyone has has a Jeep lifted with big tires has had a couple occasions where the wind was really moving them pretty bad it might have scared him a little bit I have
??? Grammar, punctuation, please make it so I don't have to imagine what it is you want to say . What wind ? What big tires & lift ? The poor mans rig "built up" is NOT overly done in any way - nicely modest from what I can see .
On the other hand, MY comments are in no way attempting to belittle the person or make light of the accident - in fact I don't mention any of that . In General, my comments are about the DRIVING IN THE LEFT LANE / when it's appropriate and when it is not, period. Hope that clears up my point of view for you . As a side, I have personal experience driving on all sorts of Long Island roadways - it was "Hell on Wheels" back in the '70's (the roads & the Drivers) ! I can only imagine how bad it has become now, or perhaps improved ? If indeed this occurred on one of the LI roads ?
Sponsored