Sponsored

My Jeep JL rollover accident on the highway yesterday!

Sucker Punch

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU (totaled), 2019 JLUR
Occupation
Retrofit Offroad
Glad you made it out ok!! I had an idiot run a red light a month ago and totaled my JKUR. Now I've got a 2019 JLUR on order. The Jeep and parts can be replaced. I'm in the same boat as you. I had to pull most of my aftermarket parts off the Jeep because insurance wasn't going to give me anything for them. I plan on adding a rider to my insurance policy to cover all the add-ons on this next Jeep.

Also would like to say that I am happy you didn't get a lot of responses in this thread like "hey, you wanna sell me this or that part?". I posted pics of my accident on Facebook and I swear half of the comments were "I'll buy those half doors from you". Give me a break!

45942175_2014429558859556_2164010939853045760_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg
Sponsored

wanderer

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon. Surfboard. Bare feet, moose drawn air sled, Interstellar time warp space transport fighter
Occupation
Engineering Geologist
I’m Alive! I’m here to tell you a bit about how I believe Jeep JL and Maximus 3 brackets helped to save me. That traumatic accident I had on the highway was probably the scariest moment of my life truly. I’m lucky to be alive with just a bump on my head and a little whiplash. Big thanks to Jeep SUV of the year and that amazing bracket that holds my Rhino roof rack made by Maximus 3. ALSO a big thanks to all the supportive comments I got from you guys on this site. Truly rose my spirits after such a down time in my life. And thanks to the moderators who put my story on the home page. Thank you to ALL of you! See my video :)

Dude this is pretty bizarre. But you look like you are my doppelgänger which is very weird in that I had a twin brother at birth who died within a few minutes.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport JL
Dude this is pretty bizarre. But you look like you are my doppelgänger which is very weird in that I had a twin brother at birth who died within a few minutes.
What? Wow! My long lost brother! No disrespect at all. Thanks for responding buddy :)

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So glad you managed to come out of that situation alive and kicking. Just remember left lanes for passing.
So true and ty. Appreciate your comment. :)

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you made it out ok!! I had an idiot run a red light a month ago and totaled my JKUR. Now I've got a 2019 JLUR on order. The Jeep and parts can be replaced. I'm in the same boat as you. I had to pull most of my aftermarket parts off the Jeep because insurance wasn't going to give me anything for them. I plan on adding a rider to my insurance policy to cover all the add-ons on this next Jeep.

Also would like to say that I am happy you didn't get a lot of responses in this thread like "hey, you wanna sell me this or that part?". I posted pics of my accident on Facebook and I swear half of the comments were "I'll buy those half doors from you". Give me a break!

45942175_2014429558859556_2164010939853045760_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.jpg
Hey buddy. Great post. Believe it or not I watched a video of a Jeep go on fire in the Midwest. Gentleman tried hard to put it out to no avail. He came back on video after all was said and done and advised anyone who has accessories on there Jeep that if they were lost(totaled) if they were not insured. YOU WILL NOT GET PAID! I saw that and was like WHAT! So I called my insurance carrier and insured all my accessories except winch which had no damage on it and recovered it myself. Thank god for that genetleman. (Coyote Works) He saved my MONEY! 15 thousand worth. I would have freaked! It’s funny cause we got all receipts together and are Emailing them tomorrow morning to my adjuster. Luckymebuddy! Thanks for you post and happy about your new JL on order! Way to go and always stay safe! To many asses on road. Coyote Works is the gentleman. Look up his u tube video of his Jeep on fire. Again good luck stay safe and happy riding buddy! :)

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Hey buddy. Great post. Believe it or not I watched a video of a Jeep go on fire in the Midwest. Gentleman tried hard to put it out to no avail. He came back on video after all was said and done and advised anyone who has accessories on there Jeep that if they were lost(totaled) if they were not insured. YOU WILL NOT GET PAID! I saw that and was like WHAT! So I called my insurance carrier and insured all my accessories except winch which had no damage on it and recovered it myself. Thank god for that genetleman. (Coyote Works) He saved my MONEY! 15 thousand worth. I would have freaked! It’s funny cause we got all receipts together and are Emailing them tomorrow morning to my adjuster. Luckymebuddy! Thanks for you post and happy about your new JL on order! Way to go and always stay safe! To many asses on road. Coyote Works is the gentleman. Look up his u tube video of his Jeep on fire. Again good luck stay safe and happy riding buddy! :)

First, i just want to say, I am very glad @Poseidon is alright. Jeeps are just Things, and replaceable. Second, many of accidents like this are preventable, with proper evasive actions. In this case, as others.have said, slow down, immediately, before impact. Do not jerk the steering to the left, especially at highway speeds. If you are going to make contact, make contact, and maintain your lane. Too many times, i have seen this exact scenario, and the jerk who cut in front, never stopped, and the only ones with damage.are the ones, like you, who panicked, and either went off the roadway, or hit the people next to them. Proper evasive action, and not being afraid to make some contact will save your bacon, most of the time.

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First, i just want to say, I am very glad @Poseidon is alright. Jeeps are just Things, and replaceable. Second, many of accidents like this are preventable, with proper evasive actions. In this case, as others.have said, slow down, immediately, before impact. Do not jerk the steering to the left, especially at highway speeds. If you are going to make contact, make contact, and maintain your lane. Too many times, i have seen this exact scenario, and the jerk who cut in front, never stopped, and the only ones with damage.are the ones, like you, who panicked, and either went off the roadway, or hit the people next to them. Proper evasive action, and not being afraid to make some contact will save your bacon, most of the time.
Didn’t jerk. I actually should have let him hit me as you stated. Might have had a different outcome. I veered left and my 2 left tires hit the dirt so tires tend to spin different than the 2 tires on right which were on the pavement (highway). I remember little but I can say as soon as my 2 left tires hit that dirt that’s when my problems began and never recovered. You sound like you know how to drive where in my case I’m just your average driver. I wish I had known and reacted better to that situation. Like you said main thing is that I’m ok. I appreciate the nice comment buddy. Giving great advice certainly will help if ever and hopefully never happens again! Thanks again buddy. Safe driving for all and always keep a watchful eye for maniac drivers. At least that’s what I refer them to. :)

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Didn’t jerk. I actually should have let him hit me as you stated. Might have had a different outcome. I veered left and my 2 left tires hit the dirt so tires tend to spin different than the 2 tires on right which were on the pavement (highway). I remember little but I can say as soon as my 2 left tires hit that dirt that’s when my problems began and never recovered. You sound like you know how to drive where in my case I’m just your average driver. I wish I had known and reacted better to that situation. Like you said main thing is that I’m ok. I appreciate the nice comment buddy. Giving great advice certainly will help if ever and hopefully never happens again! Thanks again buddy. Safe driving for all and always keep a watchful eye for maniac drivers. At least that’s what I refer them to. :)
Well, I Kind of drive for a living, and have been a Police Officer, for 26+ years. Been there, seen it, done that, as far as driving and accidents go. I've also had more odd and fun driving courses, than I can remember. So, your situation ended well, for you. You walked away. Now, get a lawyer, and let them teach this idiot driver a lesson, in courteous driving. You were very lucky.

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
A local Jeep club member here in Austin just rolled their white JLUR yesterday. Not sure if they are a member here or not, but I wanted to post this as a Warning to everyone...

They were on the Hwy doing I guess 65mph and it's been terribly windy here the last few weeks. The wind somehow got under the Jeep and flipped it over. Not joking. I have felt a big wind gust before and it's not fun, but at no point did I ever think this could happen.

Totally stock Rubi, only 3 weeks old they said. The people came out without a scratch and were fine, but I'm sure emotionally traumatized now. As if driving in heavy wind isn't enough, now we have this to think about.

Here's the link to the FB post, but you need to be on FB to see all of it.

https://www[.]facebook[.]com/groups/AustinJeepPeople/permalink/2334388579966446/

49112356_10218770139633243_8524944336582868992_n.jpg

Now quick, everyone rush out and get wider wheels and/or spacers. It just may help save your life by widening your stance.

Shaved Ice

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I am glad they are ok. Their hardtop didn’t hold up as well as Poseidon’s. The rack definitely made a difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A local Jeep club member here in Austin just rolled their white JLUR yesterday. Not sure if they are a member here or not, but I wanted to post this as a Warning to everyone...

They were on the Hwy doing I guess 65mph and it's been terribly windy here the last few weeks. The wind somehow got under the Jeep and flipped it over. Not joking. I have felt a big wind gust before and it's not fun, but at no point did I ever think this could happen.

Totally stock Rubi, only 3 weeks old they said. The people came out without a scratch and were fine, but I'm sure emotionally traumatized now. As if driving in heavy wind isn't enough, now we have this to think about.

https://www[.]facebook[.]com/groups/AustinJeepPeople/permalink/2334388579966446/

Now quick, everyone rush out and get wider wheels and/or spacers. It just may help save your life by widening your stance.
Wow! I’m glad there ok. Wow. Mine ended up on its side. I’m so happy they got out. Just today we had wind gusts of 50 to 60 mph. I still have my old jk 2010 and yes I take extra precautions. Just slow down extra. I could feel it moving my Jeep sometimes causing me to move side to side a little. I opened my windows to allow wind to just blow through rather than push it with windows closed. Don’t know if that helped but I feel it did. It was cold but better cold than another roll for me! Thanks for that post. Again wow! Glad they are ok!

OP
OP
Poseidon

Poseidon

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am glad they are ok. Their hardtop didn’t hold up as well as Poseidon’s. The rack definitely made a difference.
Without a doubt that was the difference for my roll over. Again big thanks to Maximus 3 company!

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS

Do you think opening all the windows could have saved it?

Jammer

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bright white JL Rubicon
First things first. I’m ok. The Jeep and its roll bar plus added seatbelt saved my life!

So I was traveling on highway left lane and some driver was behind me. Next thing I see him pull into the right lane bolting to try and pass me. There was a car in front of him and I could see he was not going to make it as he tried to switch back into my lane. I could see his car about to hit mine so I veered left away from him onto the dirt part of the road. Soon as I hit that dirt my Jeep started to go left right left right. I could not control it trying to straighten her out. Well at one point she just kept pointing to the right as my front bumper hit his rear left and that’s when it happened. When it happened I had no idea it was rolling guys. I thought I was being bombarded by other vehicles on the highway but I was actually rolling!! I do remember seeing sparks and smoke as the sheer terror went through my body. The fear of thinking this is it I’m not going to be around anymore was nothing I ever felt before! Death is a scary thought!

Well it finally came to a stop and at that moment I did not know where I was. I tried to open door and it would not budge. I then actually started to come to my senses and realized that I was sideways. The passenger side was on the ground. I then realized wait I saw sparks and smoke. I said to myself you have to get out this Jeep now it could ignite. I released the seat belt and dropped my legs down to the passenger door feet first. I then proceeded to lift my arms and get the latch and push the door open. I then climbed out in horror as there were 2 motorists helping me out. I came out and checked as I had no pain at the time due to my adrenaline running through me.

The 2 motorists sat me down and consoled me till ambulance and police arrived. No other drivers were injured. I didn’t know what happened yet. They explained to me: your Jeep rolled a few times. I was like no way as all the noise I heard and banging motion was other cars hitting me but I was wrong. The Jeep was rolling!

I had all test done cat scans etc. I came out clean. Just a lump on top my head and whiplash and sore on my body. People - I’m alive and kicking. Thanks the good lord. I’m so lucky. So lucky! I only have these 2 shots which really don’t paint the whole picture. I went to see police this morning as he told me last night they would get my wallet, cell phone and iPad. They got it all! He also mentioned my story which I explained last night matched the 3 witnesses’ stories exactly. I was also lucky in that respect for them helping me out! In the end my super wife of 20 years met me at the hospital emergency trauma center. She cried I cried as we told each other how much we love each other! We were both so glad I was just alive and healthy! Folks it was scary so scary so be SAFE out there always and have respect for those other maniac drivers cause they can hurt you in the end. I don’t have many pics as I made a video this morning for insurance purposes.

69FB9DF2-1DFA-4E0C-95B3-1C3DC7118CD3.jpeg

A0CBCC80-2C61-4566-BCC6-7914EFB5A5ED.jpeg

8D34A471-35AB-441D-88A3-E35793A39787.jpeg

A7AE86B3-DBFC-438B-91BE-887F5F52B401.jpeg
First things first. I’m ok. The Jeep and its roll bar plus added seatbelt saved my life!

So I was traveling on highway left lane and some driver was behind me. Next thing I see him pull into the right lane bolting to try and pass me. There was a car in front of him and I could see he was not going to make it as he tried to switch back into my lane. I could see his car about to hit mine so I veered left away from him onto the dirt part of the road. Soon as I hit that dirt my Jeep started to go left right left right. I could not control it trying to straighten her out. Well at one point she just kept pointing to the right as my front bumper hit his rear left and that’s when it happened. When it happened I had no idea it was rolling guys. I thought I was being bombarded by other vehicles on the highway but I was actually rolling!! I do remember seeing sparks and smoke as the sheer terror went through my body. The fear of thinking this is it I’m not going to be around anymore was nothing I ever felt before! Death is a scary thought!

Well it finally came to a stop and at that moment I did not know where I was. I tried to open door and it would not budge. I then actually started to come to my senses and realized that I was sideways. The passenger side was on the ground. I then realized wait I saw sparks and smoke. I said to myself you have to get out this Jeep now it could ignite. I released the seat belt and dropped my legs down to the passenger door feet first. I then proceeded to lift my arms and get the latch and push the door open. I then climbed out in horror as there were 2 motorists helping me out. I came out and checked as I had no pain at the time due to my adrenaline running through me.

The 2 motorists sat me down and consoled me till ambulance and police arrived. No other drivers were injured. I didn’t know what happened yet. They explained to me: your Jeep rolled a few times. I was like no way as all the noise I heard and banging motion was other cars hitting me but I was wrong. The Jeep was rolling!

I had all test done cat scans etc. I came out clean. Just a lump on top my head and whiplash and sore on my body. People - I’m alive and kicking. Thanks the good lord. I’m so lucky. So lucky! I only have these 2 shots which really don’t paint the whole picture. I went to see police this morning as he told me last night they would get my wallet, cell phone and iPad. They got it all! He also mentioned my story which I explained last night matched the 3 witnesses’ stories exactly. I was also lucky in that respect for them helping me out! In the end my super wife of 20 years met me at the hospital emergency trauma center. She cried I cried as we told each other how much we love each other! We were both so glad I was just alive and healthy! Folks it was scary so scary so be SAFE out there always and have respect for those other maniac drivers cause they can hurt you in the end. I don’t have many pics as I made a video this morning for insurance purposes.

69FB9DF2-1DFA-4E0C-95B3-1C3DC7118CD3.jpeg

A0CBCC80-2C61-4566-BCC6-7914EFB5A5ED.jpeg

8D34A471-35AB-441D-88A3-E35793A39787.jpeg

A7AE86B3-DBFC-438B-91BE-887F5F52B401.jpeg
Did they total the jeep or fix it ? if so how much damage