Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
If Jeep wants to build a reliable product, then unfortunately they might need to be bought out by Toyota or Honda.

When Mopar was owned by Daimler Chrysler (1998-2007), those vehicles were majorly reliable. That's when they came with that factory warranty of 10yrs/100k miles. My '03 PT Cruiser GT had 188k miles on it with original trans and block when it got totaled. It was well-made as many vehicles during that time were. Once they left Daimler (which is basically Mercedes-Benz) it's been a lot less reliable from my experience and from what I've heard and seen. Even with all the problems I've encountered with my Jeep, I still adore it.

After my recent experience, I realize I'll just have to do a "walk-around" inspection more often than I had before. Thought I only had to do this with my bike every time I'd go for a ride, but apparently, the Jeep needs the same attention! šŸ˜‚
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
The fragile state of our electronics is truly pathetic.
My Jeep has thrown more lights in 8 months than my previous car did in 14 years and 140,000 miles.

The logic in the control software is mind bogglingly stupid.

Bend a pin on the door plug when putting the doors back on and the truck won't shift out of park. Swell.

Don't program in any resiliency anticipating a low battery. So rather than the display showing "low battery" and moving on, like my wife's Volvo does, the whole display freaks out and throws 75 codes all at once.

Its pathetic.

But despite this, I love my Jeep.

But just imagine if FCA managed to ever build a vehicle that actually functioned reliably and well.

That's why I can't imagine anyone buying a Wagoneer, Cherokee, or Renegade. All the hassles of a Jeep with none of the character.
I couldnā€™t have said it better. Ultimately this is the aspect that will push me into trading. Jeep has built an incredibly capable machine that gets us farther into hard-to-reach places than most rescue equipment can make it. Then you have to worry about whether one of the many electronic gremlins will rise to the level of stranding you.

BaconKittens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2023 JLR
Enjoy your mazda! I had a Mazda 3 that was my daily driver but my brother was in need of a vehicle so he is now enjoying my mazda! They're fun cars to drive on the road. I had some issues with it, like the infotainment center acting up, so just be aware that all vehicles will have issues. The gas mileage on your mazda will be reason enough to enjoy it more than the jeep. šŸ˜„

jc1003

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sahara, 2019 Pacifica, 2016 CX-9, 2023 Hornet
Occupation
IT
I drove our Mazda CX-9 for 3 years and I didn't have any problems at all. Now my daughter drives it to school.

dcmdon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Gladiator Mojave
When Mopar was owned by Daimler Chrysler (1998-2007), those vehicles were majorly reliable. That's when they came with that factory warranty of 10yrs/100k miles. My '03 PT Cruiser GT had 188k miles on it with original trans and block when it got totaled. It was well-made as many vehicles during that time were. Once they left Daimler (which is basically Mercedes-Benz) it's been a lot less reliable from my experience and from what I've heard and seen. Even with all the problems I've encountered with my Jeep, I still adore it.

After my recent experience, I realize I'll just have to do a "walk-around" inspection more often than I had before. Thought I only had to do this with my bike every time I'd go for a ride, but apparently, the Jeep needs the same attention! šŸ˜‚
I remember getting in a friends Chrysler 300 company car and being amazed at how nice all the switchgear. The turn signal lever was from an E series Benz.

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
My Yj wa
I remember getting in a friends Chrysler 300 company car and being amazed at how nice all the switchgear. The turn signal lever was from an E series Benz.
The platform/chassis (W211) was from an E series. Just modified slightly for the new 300/Charger/Magnum body and the different motor mounts.

Jeeppaul91

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JLURXR
Occupation
Real Estate
You shouldve stuck it out for another year and got the new 4Runnerā€¦ or at least a bronco. The CX9 is like the mini van of cross over SUVs

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I would just hate buying another vehicle, with the Automotive Prices, and lack of inventory now. But, I might be in the same situation soon enough. Not getting rid of the Jeep, just will be looking for another car. Teenage driver.

Punkn89

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
It doesnā€™t matter, the Jeep virus has made its mark on you. Weā€™ll see you again soon. Before you know it, youā€™re in your Mazda, waving at Jeeps, the next thing you know, youā€™re back on the Jeep lot. āœŒ

Sponsored

MayThe4x4BWU

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLURXR
Occupation
IT Small Business Owner
I remember reading your woes with the bubbling paint shortly after signing up here. I read about that after I'd first test driven some used JLUR's and noticed the bubbling paint on some of their hinges. When I asked my salesguy, he said it was a "known issue", but didn't elaborate beyond that.

Sorry to see you bail on yours, but peace of mind is important too. Like some others have said "You'll be back!" šŸ˜

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Yupp those 300s were hawttt when they first came out with them. Like luxuryyy with that non-digital clock? HahaAaa! Loved the styling of that vehicle. And letā€™s not discuss the first model 300c! Oof! šŸ„° I wanted one so badlyyy. You could tell Benz had major influences in design with that model.

They never shoulda left ā€˜em in the first place!!! :movember:

Shibadog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport S hardtop
Occupation
Safety &Fire Protection Engineer (Retired)
Considering that I never wheeled itā€™s practical. My Jeep was just a daily driver.
Jeeps are very cool but I never used it the way most do.
Said it before, Jeeps are NOT for everybody. There are far better vehicles for far less money for daily drivers. The whole driving dynamic for a Jeep is just different. High CG, twitchy steering, rough ride, (comparatively) low mpgā€™s. I always recommend that anyone looking at buying a first Jeep rent one for at least a week of ā€œnormalā€ use before buying (if itā€™s not your first Jeep and your unhappy thatā€™s on you, because you knew what you were getting up frontšŸ˜). Some of us are goofy enough to like Living with one, but lots of folks are not. Iā€™ve had them for decades, and am pretty happy with them. With that said, Iā€™d still be driving IHā€™s if the still made them.

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
When Mopar was owned by Daimler Chrysler (1998-2007), those vehicles were majorly reliable. That's when they came with that factory warranty of 10yrs/100k miles.
Disagree. I don't feel Jeeps were ever a reliable vehicle. The purpose of the 10-year warranty was to entice customers to purchase vehicles from a company that had previously gone bankrupt and many felt it was at an increased risk of being gone in a few years, therefore leaving you with an ā€œorphanā€ vehicle.

Jeep is not THE worst brand, but itā€™s definitely one of them when it comes to reliability. And the Wrangler/Gladiator models are some of the worst riding cars due to the inherit limitations of high-clearance solid-axle suspensions and noise from blocky removable roofs. So, I shake my head whenever someone suggest buying one just to commute to work. The only reason to do that is for the ā€œcoolā€ factor of a Wrangler, and IMHO that is not worth itā€”even 4x4 trucks are better commuters in poor weather. But if you want to push the vehicle limits exploring nature, there is not better vehicle.

My current JL is my second Jeep and fourth weekend four-wheeler and I love it, but Iā€™m not married to it. If Toyota can market an affordable modern version of the FJ40 or if Ford can improve the current shortcomings of the Bronco and prove the toughness and reliability of their new IFS, I might consider these worthy replacements.

Pay attention Stellantis: Either get your sh__ together and make our Jeeps reliable, or jack up the price as much as possible right now to soften the blow when you get real competition.

SadRobot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL 2dr Sport
Said it before, Jeeps are NOT for everybody. There are far better vehicles for far less money for daily drivers. The whole driving dynamic for a Jeep is just different. High CG, twitchy steering, rough ride, (comparatively) low mpgā€™s. I always recommend that anyone looking at buying a first Jeep rent one for at least a week of ā€œnormalā€ use before buying (if itā€™s not your first Jeep and your unhappy thatā€™s on you, because you knew what you were getting up frontšŸ˜). Some of us are goofy enough to like Living with one, but lots of folks are not. Iā€™ve had them for decades, and am pretty happy with them. With that said, Iā€™d still be driving IHā€™s if the still made them.
I had someone approach me the other day in the supermarket parking lot asking about my Jeep as they were thinking of buying a 2dr Wrangler. I told her basically what you said......the mpg is terrible, the ride is pretty rough, no storage unless you take out the back seats but I love mine and I wouldn't trade it for anything. She said that if she did buy one she would never take it off road but was thinking of getting a Rubicon so hopefully I at least saved her some money by telling her that was not a great idea.
Sponsored