My Jeep hops in 4X4

boogie

First Name
kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
When I put my Jeep in 4X4 and turn sharp it hops or the front tires want to wiggle. I have a 2.5 lift and 37"tires. Is this normal? its just when im in 4X4 thanks
Sponsored

IPvFletch

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Are you doing this on the street or on the dirt? This can happen (wheel hop/slip) on street, You should only use 4x4 on wet or else loose dirt or rock type of surfaces.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
When I put my Jeep in 4X4 and turn sharp it hoops or the front tires want to wiggle. I have a 2.5 lift and 37"tires. Is this normal? its just when im in 4X4 thanks
If you are serious, then this must be your first 4x4. No offense, but you should read that section of the manual. You are not supposed to drive in 4x4 unless required by lost of traction. When you turn in hard dry surface the front tires and rear tires are running a different radius (distance) while being forced to go the same speed, someone has to give. While on snow, mud, sand, dirt, the low traction (friction coefficient) allows for the different radius of the front and rear tires.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
When I put my Jeep in 4X4 and turn sharp it hoops or the front tires want to wiggle. I have a 2.5 lift and 37"tires. Is this normal? its just when im in 4X4 thanks
Yea its called a locked center diff... this post pretty much sums up this entire forum.

Sponsored

OP
OP
boogie

boogie

First Name
kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep jl
Ok thanks guys it was on wet pavement but I’m sure the 37 were gripping. Sorry for the dumb question I was just worried that I broke something

sardog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler X-Gone, 2019 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok thanks guys it was on wet pavement but I’m sure the 37 were gripping. Sorry for the dumb question I was just worried that I broke something
When they say wet pavement, they mean extreme wet and little to no traction. Not just a rainy day wet.

Sponsored

Shenanigans

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubi
Yea its called a locked center diff... this post pretty much sums up this entire forum.
And yet you are still here.... what can that possibly say about you?

I wish I could get your parents to change the WiFi password.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No, it is not called locked center differential. Part time 4x4 like the sport or the Rubicon don´t have a center differential. Some AWD systems have a center differential and that one can be locked.
Everyone can learn something today.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
No, it is not called locked center differential. Part time 4x4 like the sport or the Rubicon don´t have a center differential. Some AWD systems have a center differential and that one can be locked.
Everyone can learn something today.
A t - case is a differental buddy, sorry.

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A t - case is a differental buddy, sorry.
You obviously don´t know what a differential is. A transfer case (that´s what the t stands for) may have or not have a differential.....buddy:like:

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
You obviously don´t know what a differential is. A transfer case (that´s what the t stands for) may have or not have a differential.....buddy:like:
Thats why i said locked. The XJ for example had an option to lock or “unlock “ your center diff aleviating the symptom OP is talking about. Hes lucky he didnt sheer a spline turning around in a parking lot with those 37’s
Sponsored