Sponsored

My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy.

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
As many of you know storage space in a JLU, or any Wrangler for that manner, is often times a challenge. There are several companies that have storage systems for the JL, but most seem overly expensive for my needs and not easily removable.

I have come up with a storage solution that fits me well and came at a reasonable cost. This storage solution may not fit everyone's need and may not be for everyone, but it is exactly what I was looking for.

While wandering through my local Home Depot, I came across the Milwaukee Tool Packout Storage System. The Packout System is easily removable, has many, many options, is a quality product and comes at a reasonable price. More details on this below.

I liked this Packout concept and wanted to integrate the system into my Wrangler. However, the rear floor of the JLU was not level enough and would not properly support the storage containers while off road.

The best "base" that I could find, and the most expensive part of this, was a mounting plate from American Adventure Labs. The price was $270 for bare metal and $310.00 for black powder coat. I chose the black powder coat.
https://americanadventurelab.com/product/jeep-jl-mass-storage-platform/

STOCK PHOTO FROM AAL

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 0a

The AAL storage platform is a quality product and I can't say enough good things about the product. Installation of the platform was very easy and the instructions were fantastic.

I will not go into the details of the mounting of the platform.

Once I mounted the platform, I drove around to see how things sounded. Well, with the rear carpet and OEM "platform" removed, things sounded a lot different and not in a good way. The best way I can explain it......it sounded more like a cargo or panel van. There were NO rattles at all, but things sounded kind of "airy" and hollow.

My solution was to remove the platform and cover everything I could in sound deadening material. I used Killmat, but I'm sure any can be used.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082Q2J2T4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whatever product you choose, use a material roller tool or you will be disappointed.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0895PX52H/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 1

After support bar installation:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 2

I even installed Killmat on the bottom side of the platform:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 3

Platform installed with Killmat:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 0

I did run into a challenge when mounting the Packout mounting base. AAL uses a type of widely used mounting locations on their platform and I was hoping that Packout used the same, but they do not match up. At least not in all locations and where I specifically wanted to mount the Packout mounting base.

AAL:

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 4

Packout:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 10.JPG

When the mounting locations do match up, there is no real good way to securely mount the Packout to the AAL. AAL does in fact make a product to help with this called alignment inserts. It provides a center hole for you to use. I bought 4. They come in a pack of two for $10.00.

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 5

When you are ordered, you might also want to get a couple of anchors for the AAL platform. Single Stud Tie Down RIngs. They are $5.00 each and I bought 4 of them. They are from a company called Macs, and will be shipped separately and not from AAL. I checked with Macs and the price is the same.

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 19

For the mounting locations that did not line up I used a rivet nut which has internal threads and can be used for "blind" applications and getting into hard to reach areas. The AAL platform came in two pieces and my mounting plate was across a portion of both plates, so it was impossible to use a standard nut and bolt to secure the Packout plate.

As my luck usually goes, I loaned my rivet nut tool to someone who decided to forget that they had borrowed it, so I made a tool out of things I had.

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 6

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 7

Rivet nut installed into AAL platform. I had to use this method 4 times.
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 8

The Packout mounting base is designed with 12 locking channels to properly hold their products. Once locked in, the container is very secure and is very easily removed with one lever on the front of the container. I purchased several different Packout storage containers. The containers are also sealed against water intrusion.

Some of the smaller Packout containers are only half the size of the larger containers and only use 6 locking channels, which is only half of a mounting pate.

So I purchased and additional mounting plate and cut it down so it fits against the rear of the full mounting plate and took advantage of some unused space.

Unused space behind main plate and in front of the metal cover on the Rockford Fosgate sub:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 11

Modified Packout plate:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 12

Both plates nestled and mounted:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 12a

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 13

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 14

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 15

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 16

You may notice the plate sticks out past the rear of the plate. This was done by design to gain more space for smaller containers BEHIND the main plate. I have a solution for this below.

I wanted to finish the install with something that cleaned things up a bit. I went to my local automobile interior shop and showed them what I was doing. The then gave me a piece of material that is used in, panel and construction "vans" to quieten things down. I took the rubber like material and cut out and around the Packout plates. I also ran the material down and under the rear seat and had to cut out around the seat belt mounts. I also only cut holes into the material where I know i would be placing the mounting rings. This really cleaned things up a lot.

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 17

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 18

What I really like about this solution is that the containers can be removed when not needed. All of my camping and recovery tools are now easily kept in one place.

When the containers are not in my Jeep, I keep a Milwaukee Packout Crate in the main mounting plate.

Here are several pictures of the different crates that I have and how everything looks installed.

Compact Tool box with small organizer locked onto the top and locked into the small modified mounting plate. The small organizer is fantastic and has a clear lid, which I made into a First Aid Kit.

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 20

Added a Packout Crate. This is my daily set up that stays in the Jeep.
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 21

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 23

Here I have removed the crate and added a Large Tool Box and two more small organizers both with clear lids. I place dry food items and snacks in these when camping or going to the beach or on a day Jeep excursion. Clear lids make them easy to see whats inside. I call them, "Snackleboxes."

Depending on how high you stock the boxes, boxes can be opened while other boxes are attached to the lid. This is a feature I really like.

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 24

Here I have added the XL Tool box which holds a LOT of gear. This is all of my containers, excluding the Crate:

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 25

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 26

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 27

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 28

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 29

I also left enough space to mount a tailgate table:

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 30

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 31

With a 50QT ARB refrigerator:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 32

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 33

Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. 34

Here are all of the Packout containers that I used:

Compact Tool Box:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. Compact Tool Box 48-22-8422.JPG

Crate:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. Crate.JPG

Large Tool Box:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. Large Tool Box.JPG

XL Tool Box:
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. XL Tool Box 48-22-8429.JPG

Organizers with clear lids (3):
Jeep Wrangler JL My idea for a storage solution on a JLU--Picture heavy. Organizer 48-22-8430.JPG

All together I have about $850.00 in total cost. That price could be lower or higher depending on the number and type of Packout containers that you buy.
Sponsored

Faresalsal

First Name
Fares
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JL / 2012 Mustang Boss302 / 1998 Cherokee Sport
This is amazing, love the setup and excellent write up!
Thanks for sharing

Viking Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 LJR. 2021 392 Wrangler.
Great post! I am a fan of Milwaukee power tools and was just at HD a couple of days ago trying to figure out how to incorporate them into storage for my Jeep (s). I have also been looking at the AAL mounting plate system. The only drawback I see in what you have done is the small under floor storage area is not accessible and between the AAL plate and Milwaukee plate you have used up quite a bit of vertical space.

OP
OP
sbrimer

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Great post! I am a fan of Milwaukee power tools and was just at HD a couple of days ago trying to figure out how to incorporate them into storage for my Jeep (s). I have also been looking at the AAL mounting plate system. The only drawback I see in what you have done is the small under floor storage area is not accessible and between the AAL plate and Milwaukee plate you have used up quite a bit of vertical space.

I took the empty space into consideration when planning this out and the gain that I received was well worth the space that I lost.

I'm not real sure what you mean by vertical space, but the AAL platform and the Milwaukee mounting plate is about 3 1/2 inches combined.

Like I said, this type of configuration is not for everyone but is perfect for the manner in which I will be using it.

Sponsored

T4STE

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Website
oswachiart.wixsite.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Graphic Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Ive been trying to figure out (visually) how to incorporate the pack out system to my trunk. Thank you for the visual reference lol. Did a great job and very clean too.

OP
OP
sbrimer

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Ive been trying to figure out (visually) how to incorporate the pack out system to my trunk. Thank you for the visual reference lol. Did a great job and very clean too.
I went and bought the packout base and turned it a million ways trying to figure out a mounting system. In the end, I found no way to mount it without some type of main plate. That is where the AAL platform came into play.

After that, the idea became much more clear.

OP
OP
sbrimer

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
For anyone else interested in mounting packout I did something similar earlier this year

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ou-do-to-your-jeep-jl-today.3033/post-1557180

I promise that I did not try to hack or steal your idea. I even searched and did not see that anyone has already posted that they did this. I guess I need to work on my search abilities.

I even cut a mounting plate down in size, the same way that you did.

If I would have seen your post, I would have simply said that I expanded on your idea.

Boy, do I look like some kind of tool.

Sponsored

Upsidwn

First Name
Mat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Haha no your good! I just figured I’d post it for some more ideas if anyone else was considering it

Funny enough I’m probably going to be pulling them out this winter during the rebuild anyway. I just find the packout are huge and a colossal inefficient use of space. I’m going to do a cargo shelf/platform out of 8020 wheel well to wheel well and then I just just pack soft bags/duffles/tool rolls under it without having to working around the Tetris blocks (cases)

I promise that I did not try to hack or steal your idea. I even searched and did not see that anyone has already posted that they did this. I guess I need to work on my search abilities.

I even cut a mounting plate down in size, the same way that you did.

If I would have seen your post, I would have simply said that I expanded on your idea.

Boy, do I look like some kind of tool.

OP
OP
sbrimer

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
Haha no your good! I just figured I’d post it for some more ideas if anyone else was considering it

Funny enough I’m probably going to be pulling them out this winter during the rebuild anyway. I just find the packout are huge and a colossal inefficient use of space. I’m going to do a cargo shelf/platform out of 8020 wheel well to wheel well and then I just just pack soft bags/duffles/tool rolls under it without having to working around the Tetris blocks (cases)
The boxes do take up space, but they do not stay in my Jeep all of the time and are only used about once a month, or less. That is what I really wanted in storage.........easily removable and secure when in use.

OP
OP
sbrimer

sbrimer

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023, 392 Rubicon XR
I need to know more about that subwoofer!
I wondered how long it would be before someone asked about it. I need to do a write up about the install. It is a Rockford Fosgate Punch 10" P3S Shallow. Shallow is the important part. It also comes in a 2 or 4 OHM. The mounting depth needed is 3.5 inches and only needed .074 cubic feet of speaker displacement. Somewhere I read that the OEM Alpine subwoofer had like .080 cubic feet of speaker displacement. The subwoofer is rated at 300 (RMS) and 600 (peak).

I also used Killzmat sound deadening on the entire of the outside of the subwoofer box. Mostly to prevent rattles.

I purchased the MB Quart complete audio system with amplifiers when it was on sale for 50% off. The MB Quart made a huge difference, but the Alpine sub wasn't good enough. I have always been a fan of Rockford Fosgate After many late nights of research, I knew it would work.

The MB Quart with amps, comes with a nice metal amp rack that mounts under the passenger seat and is designed for 3 amps. So, I purchased an MB Quart 400 watt mono amp for just the sub. An MB Quart NA2-400.1.

This single 10 hits unbelievably hard and sounds amazing. Most people think that I am pushing a whole lot more than what is there.

Finally have bass when the doors and top off.

I installed all of this (audio) in May of 21.

I probably need to to do write up of the install.
Sponsored