My horrible dealer visit experience

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I bought a Mopar locking gas cap from amazon, and brought to the closest cdjr dealer to have it coded/keyed/paired to my key. Upon talking to the parts guy, he told me my key is “laser cut” they can’t do it. I don’t want to argue with him so I walked to the service department. Advisor greeted me and took down my information and then another old advisor at the back yelling at him saying they can’t do it because it’s laser cut key. I explained that’s not a key, it’s a lock cylinder, and it’s Mopar accessories. He then said, it’s “Aftermarket, we can’t do it.” How the fuck it’s aftermarket with the MOPAR written all over the bag. I then asked him at least talk to a mechanic. So he took my cap back and 5 minutes later he returned saying the mechanic confirmed it’s for JK, not JL. My self control worked that day, or I will shove that guy’s tongue into his ass. I walk straight out of the door. Went to a locksmith and he done it in 15 mins. What a bunch of morons that can’t admit their ignorance and will lie in front of Jesus. Shameless.
Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I bought a Mopar locking gas cap from amazon, and brought to the closest cdjr dealer to have it coded/keyed/paired to my key. Upon talking to the parts guy, he told me my key is “laser cut” they can’t do it. I don’t want to argue with him so I walked to the service department. Advisor greeted me and took down my information and then another old advisor at the back yelling at him saying they can’t do it because it’s laser cut key. I explained that’s not a key, it’s a lock cylinder, and it’s Mopar accessories. He then said, it’s “Aftermarket, we can’t do it.” How the fuck it’s aftermarket with the MOPAR written all over the bag. I then asked him at least talk to a mechanic. So he took my cap back and 5 minutes later he returned saying the mechanic confirmed it’s for JK, not JL. My self control worked that day, or I will shove that guy’s tongue into his ass. I walk straight out of the door. Went to a locksmith and he done it in 15 mins. What a bunch of morons that can’t admit their ignorance and will lie in front of Jesus. Shameless.
Welcome to the world of Cali dealers and service . Most people find an independent who is highly rated and recommended .

Sorbs

First Name
Brian & Sunny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' Ram TRX, 20' Gladiator LE
YouTube is your friend -

It is a PITA process.

Instead of getting upset with your dealer, who isn’t a locksmith, you might want to do a little homework before being a PITA toward them.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Jesus,

That would’ve infuriated me. Have you called the part Dept to inquire if they sell that particular locking gas cap and then ask them if they can install it? When he says of course, ask him how because it’s a laser cut key

Brett

Blown7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1977 Hellcat powered CJ7..... 2007 Jeep SRT8...2018 Trackhawk
I run a aircraft maintenance facility. When a customer brings me a part he bought somewhere else and wants me to help him with it I'm hesitant if he didn't purchase from me.

Some people just are too economical to give customer service to.

If your too cheap to buy from me why should I help you??

Sponsored

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I run a aircraft maintenance facility. When a customer brings me a part he bought somewhere else and wants me to help him with it I'm hesitant if he didn't purchase from me.

Some people just are too economical to give customer service to.

Because it's called "Good Customer Service". That's why!! What some overpriced businesses don't understand is that if you help someone, who bought a part somewhere else, and only charge them a small fee to help solve their problem, then that customer will usually be gratefull. This gets you return business, and referrals for new customers. Being a jerk gets you nothing but lost revenue, and Zero Referrals.

TwoTone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy, Flex
Because it's called "Good Customer Service". That's why!! What some overpriced businesses don't understand is that if you help someone, who bought a part somewhere else, and only charge them a small fee to help solve their problem, then that customer will usually be gratefull. This gets you return business, and referrals for new customers. Being a jerk gets you nothing but lost revenue, and Zero Referrals.
No actually they wont. They'll come back to you when there's a problem with that part and expect you to fix it for free.

yea ask me how I know

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I run a aircraft maintenance facility. When a customer brings me a part he bought somewhere else and wants me to help him with it I'm hesitant if he didn't purchase from me.Some people just are too economical to give customer service to.
Fully agree with your rational and common sense position ...

Except you likely don't know Cali vehicle dealers : first they are rude and deny everything you said ; then when you point out you purchased your vehicle from them , they say a variation of : (a) "Well , I don't know anything about that" ; or (b) "no comprendo" .

If anything can be done at a recommended outside shop , it would beat any Cali vehicle dealer by a long mile .

Fully agree with your position , especially as it applies to aircraft parts and maintenance . They might have purchased a third-party or defective part . Then the low-sneaks will try to assign liability to you , because you touched it .

Last edited:

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
No actually they wont. They'll come back to you when there's a problem with that part and expect you to fix it for free. yea ask me how I know
Fully agree with your position . And if there is any liability issue , they will try to blame you .

However , there is no excuse for a Cali vehicle dealer to be a jerk ; which is the usual situation on Cali .

You have polite rational people in Texas , unlike Cali . One advantage of moving to Texas from Cali is to escape the nut-cases .

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
If you walk in to my shop and want something installed that you bought elsewhere you can pay me to install it. If it doesn't work because it is defective you can pay me to uninstall it. I will not deal with it, fix it, warranty it, or explain it. Call Amazon with your questions. :)

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
If you walk in to my shop and want something installed that you bought elsewhere you can pay me to install it. If it doesn't work because it is defective you can pay me to uninstall it. I will not deal with it, fix it, warranty it, or explain it. Call Amazon with your questions. :)

However , if it is a safety item , and anything goes wrong with the item , the low lawyers will attempt to assign liability to you .

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going by the area I live in. Nice area. But, for a part that affects safety, that's another matter. Make sure they sign a waiver, or don't install those type of parts. Planes are a big big safety issue, i will admit. Cars, not so much, because there is such a huge aftermarket for many parts. K

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm going by the area I live in. Nice area. But, for a part that affects safety, that's another matter. Make sure they sign a waiver, or don't install those type of parts. Planes are a big big safety issue, i will admit. Cars, not so much, because there is such a huge aftermarket for many parts. K

What if planes had wings which sheared off at the weld ? What if vehicles had track bars which sheared off at the weld ? What if a kind neighbor helps his friend work on his brakes and there is a multiple disaster ? How about steering ? How about welds ? They all affect safety .

Low lawyers would laugh at a "waiver of liability" . Doubt that liability can be waived in any circumstance . Only state-licensed experts ought to be allowed , and even then , they need to be extra-careful because they are also liable . They have liability insurance . Customers and their low lawyers will always blame anyone who touched or said anything .

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What if planes had wings which sheared off at the weld ? What if vehicles had track bars which sheared off at the weld ? What if a kind neighbor helps his friend work on his brakes and there is a multiple disaster ? How about steering ? How about welds ? They all affect safety .

Low lawyers would laugh at a "waiver of liability" . Doubt that liability can be waived in any circumstance . Only state-licensed experts ought to be allowed , and even then , they need to be extra-careful because they are also liable . They have liability insurance . Customers and their low lawyers will always blame anyone who touched or said anything .
Well, welds are not aftermarket parts. And if your welds snapped, its on your business. Your scenarios are why businesses have insurance. People can pick apart any scenario, and make it a case for a lawsuit, but running a business that way might put a grinding halt to any work you do. I prefer to help my friends and family with things I am able to help them with, within my limits, lawsuits be dammed. Kind of a Good Samaritan thing.
Sponsored