hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
Another memory is from years ago. The neighbor across the street lifted an older Jeep in his garage and couldn't get it out afterwards.
Hahaha. Memories for sure. I did this very same thing MANY years ago with a old Blazer. Put 38s on and had to put stock back on to get it out of the garage LOL.

Jeep Wrangler JL My hood prop stolen 73105B3A-3F18-4F97-B59B-CD0B1F608BD4

jbcrane

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21.JLU.6MT.GCM.35.4.88.ZEON12
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technical/Indstrial 3D Animator
Vehicle Showcase
Reading this made me think of Chris Farley in the movie Tommy Boy, when he puts on the smaller guys coat. 😆

Another memory is from years ago. The neighbor across the street lifted an older Jeep in his garage and couldn't get it out afterwards.
Dont be that guy.

Sponsored

OutlawBeard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Gecko Ordered 5/4/21 Delivered 8/27/21
For those that are concerned a similar issue will occur with your JL.....

Sure you can go with/ install a hood lock .... that will slow them down.... maybe they will move on when they see it.... or, quietly break/defeat the hood lock ...and ... .they will damage the JL in the process and probably still get what they wanted...

Personally, I would rather just have them grab the prop rod or battery and then move on without causing any damage... I have similar feeling's in regard to them getting into my JL..... Ok, go a head and break a window (easily replaced) but please do not damage the sheet metal... tear up the paint...

Anyway..... probably what's is best is to run the guy/gal off with a hood alarm... Nitwit opens the hood and the horn starts blaring loudly, non-stop..... Catches them off guard and they move on / run....

You can use the Tazer JL' hood alarm feature....

or with Jscan...

Engine Compartment/Hood Alarm:
ADAPTATION ---> Miscellaneous settings --> VTA Hood Ajar Monitoring On/Off--> Target Value = Activated

Probably the first thing im doing when my Tazer gets here is the hood alarm

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
One of the homeless guys needed a rat skewer for his BBQ?

jjvincent

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 2017 VW Alltrack, 2003 VW Eurovan
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I have never heard of a hood prop stolen. On the other hand, catalytic converters are a hot commodity. We see at least one delivery truck in per week with the CAT cut off. Then the Class C RV's are getting them stolen like crazy (if I wanted to steal mine, I bet I could do it in 2 minutes).

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Who uses the Hood prop? Isn't that what the windshield is for? ;)

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
The story from the dealer is that the hood props get stolen, total bullshit. They get bent by the oil change guys. After they put 6 quarts in, they go to close the hood and bend the rod becuase they forogt to stow it. After it's bent, they remove it and toss it knowing that most will never notice it. I've talked to many people who don't ever open their hood and ask why anyone besides the dealer would ever need to.

Gas theft is not common these days. And when it's done these days, they don't siphon it like back in the 70s and 80s. Almost all fuel tanks these days are plastic. They simply stick a knife in the tank to create a hole, collect what they can and let the rest run out on the parking lot. I've seen the aftermath many times.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
One of the first things I did on the jeep was to get a locking latch. I heard to many stories about people who had the engine compartment get broken into. This is cheap insurance.
Have the exact same ones. Not sure if they will last 10-20 years, but they are fairly solid.

LarryB

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport 2 dr
(Staring at my collection of hundreds of Jeep Wrangler hood props) … “They are on to me”

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
For those that are concerned a similar issue will occur with your JL.....

Sure you can go with/ install a hood lock .... that will slow them down.... maybe they will move on when they see it.... or, quietly break/defeat the hood lock ...and ... .they will damage the JL in the process and probably still get what they wanted...

Personally, I would rather just have them grab the prop rod or battery and then move on without causing any damage... I have similar feeling's in regard to them getting into my JL..... Ok, go a head and break a window (easily replaced) but please do not damage the sheet metal... tear up the paint...

Anyway..... probably what's is best is to run the guy/gal off with a hood alarm... Nitwit opens the hood and the horn starts blaring loudly, non-stop..... Catches them off guard and they move on / run....

You can use the Tazer JL' hood alarm feature....

or with Jscan...

Engine Compartment/Hood Alarm:
ADAPTATION ---> Miscellaneous settings --> VTA Hood Ajar Monitoring On/Off--> Target Value = Activated

We drive Jeeps. Often with soft tops or no tops at all. Our door hinges are external. Spare tires, winches, aftermarket lights, jacks, gas cans, tents, etc easily removed from the outside and hood props are being stolen? People are buying locking hood latches? What kind of shit holes are people parking in that people are unbolting $15 parts, from under the hood?

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I had a set of those on our old 2013 JK. They worked fine for about a year and then one of the locks got stuck, fortunately in the unlocked position. After probably 6-7 emails and various other attempts to contact the company over many months I learned that they couldn't care less about a customer once they have their money.

I wasn't even asking for a warranty replacement, just advice on how I might be able to restore the locking feature. Buyer beware on Rampage products.
Sponsored