My hood prop stolen

#diesel

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Never use mine unless in my garage. I just gently lean the hood all the way back on the windshield/frame. Let’s a lot more light into the engine bay for these old eyes.
You made me look at how it’s attached to the hood. 5-second removal with an impact wrench and socket.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
I guess they didn't want to carry the battery away and forgot their spark plugs wrench at home so had to settle with the prop.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
@JLRuby

Is that the same guy at the dealer that tells customer's the JL takes 6 quarts of oil..... Cause he/she is full of chitt....

You can find JL hood props on eBAY for about $15+- shipped.. Were I you, I would buy Redline Tuning's Hood struts. Install those and you do not need a hood prop nor will you miss the one that disappeared from your JL.

As for a Hood lock (any brand)..... very easily defeated... but will slow the thief down a couple of minutes.

Ha ha. Yes. I thought maybe they took it off for some reason when they did the recall. They told me they’ve seen it happen before.

Last edited:

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My hood prop is sitting in my garage. I removed it after I installed hood struts.

Perhaps I should put it up for sale on eBay...!

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
My hood prop is sitting in my garage. I removed it after I installed hood struts.

Perhaps I should put it up for sale on eBay...!
I hear there's quite a market for them these days.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Well popped my hood and didn’t see my hood prop.
I called the dealer to get another one and they said these often get stolen. ??
crazy!
Was the prop rod cleanly removed from the hood, or was it torn from its mounting? Curious to know if there's more than just a part replacement expense in play here.

+10 on the Bolt hood lock for security. The key-matching feature is darn convenient, too.

Pro Tip: the 1/4" blind rivets included with the Bolt lock are steel, so the rivet gun needs to be up to the task. Or, you can substitute aluminum rivets (included with this tool) to control expenses.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
Was the prop rod cleanly removed from the hood, or was it torn from its mounting? Curious to know if there's more than just a part replacement expense in play here.

+10 on the Bolt hood lock for security. The key-matching feature is darn convenient, too.

Pro Tip: the 1/4" blind rivets included with the Bolt lock are steel, so the rivet gun needs to be up to the task. Or, you can substitute aluminum rivets (included with this tool) to control expenses.
I just installed my bolt hood lock on Saturday and bought a 25$ rivet gun from horrible freight to do the job. Never riveted anything before but i think it came out good, seems perfectly solid. I mostly got it to protect my headlights but then saw a post where someone just peeled the grill back and got the lights without cutting anything or even popping the hood... I sure hope not too many people know that's a thing...

Sponsored

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I just installed my bolt hood lock on Saturday and bought a 25$ rivet gun from horrible freight to do the job.

I mostly got it to protect my headlights but then saw a post where someone just peeled the grill back and got the lights without cutting anything or even popping the hood... I sure hope not too many people know that's a thing...
Thanks to the internets, everything is or will eventually become a Thing. This is good or bad, depending.

Pulling the grill off by force likely means damaging it, insomuch that the 6 retention plugs across the top have to be defeated to do so. Heck, I didn't like the force required to detach the lower portion of the grille (when installing my Bolt hood lock), and I was doing everything by the book.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S
Thanks to the internets, everything is or will eventually become a Thing. This is good or bad, depending.

Pulling the grill off by force likely means damaging it, insomuch that the 6 retention plugs across the top have to be defeated to do so. Heck, I didn't like the force required to detach the lower portion of the grille (when installing my Bolt hood lock), and I was doing everything by the book.
They turned the grill into a bowl, it was bent very bad indeed. Didnt even pull it all the way off, just peeled it back far enough to get to the bolts.

missionale

First Name
Jeepie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU
highly recommend the bolt hood lock! have it on my jeep. clean factor look and works with the jeep key
Jeep Wrangler JL My hood prop stolen front
Addition of BOLT lock one of the first things I did - and after keying my locking gas cap from MOPAR - so appreciated BOLTS innovative thinking....

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
Well popped my hood and didn’t see my hood prop.
I called the dealer to get another one and they said these often get stolen. ??
crazy!
so guess it’s time to look at hood locks.
I have never heard of this...is this a prank? Like the ducking??

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR