Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

EDIT: for those wondering the functional beadlock ring is Mopar Part number P5160154

I struggled with this the first time around, but have picked up a few tricks along the way that I figured I would share for the next guy struggling to wrestle some fresh rubber. I'm by no means an expert, and I've done some stuff that others will surely disagree with; using power tools, using anti seize on the beadlock bolts, and re-using these bolts to name a few (I blew a sidewall with <5k miles on the first tire, they're still practically new, however they have been torqued before and should likely be replaced). Do not take this as a definitive DIY guide, and make sure you understand the risks involved in running beadlocks, as well as mounting and inflating them.

With that out of the way, it's time for pictures!

Step 1 - get the face of your rim into the tire, I have been able to work with my local Discount Tire to get this done on their machine. They only mount the back bead of the tire for obvious liability reasons, but it allows me to skip this step. I know it can be done at home with lots of lube but I'm not that guy.

Step 2 - clean your rim and beadlock rings. (I didn't get any pictures of cleaning the rim before I decided I was going to do a write up, but you get the idea here)

Step 3 - Buy new hardware. Seriously, don't just throw them in your ultrasonic cleaner and call it good like I did.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2409.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2411.JPG

Step 4 - Line up your valve stem with your chosen alignment dot, before you put the wheel/tire on the bucket and get to work. This is also a great time to lube all the bead surfaces on both the tire and the wheel so you don't have to fight it later. Use lots of lube

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2410.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2406.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2407.JPG

Step 5 - Put your tire/wheel on a 5 gallon bucket so it's easy to work with and using your beadlock hardware and a crows foot set, pin the bead down in three positions, skipping 5 bolt holes between each crows foot. Sorry for the blurry picture, I was covered in anti seize and wearing gloves. I didn't have the dexterity to check my photos :CWL: Oh well, you can still see what we're going for here. You're pinning down 180 degrees of the bead. Don't fully tighten the bolts here obviously, you just want to pinch the bead so that it can't pop back up on you.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2413.JPG

Step 6 - Install 2 more crows feet, skipping two holes between. It helps at this point to start your crows feet with your fingers off to the side as seen in the picture so you don't have the tire fighting you. This also helps to avoid cross threading the bolt as you install it. Again, just snug up the bolts here, no need to apply much torque, you're just trying to pin the bead down.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2414.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2417.JPG

Step 7 - At this point, if you've done it right, you'll have 6 bolt holes between you're last two crows feet, pick a side, skip one hole, and install your 6th and final crows foot. This will require you to use a flat head screw driver to pull the bead over as you install the last crows foot. I needed both hands and didn't get a picture here. Feel free to comment if this doesn't make sense.

Step 8 - You'll now have 4 bolt holes between your last two crows feet, and you'll use 2 large screwdrivers to pull the bead into place. This is the hardest part, and it can be helpful to have a mallet or dead blow hammer handy to persuade the bead into place. Cussing helps as well.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2418.JPG

Step 8 finished - I didn't get a good picture but here's one I prepared earlier. Note the locations of the crows feet, and holes between each one.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2412.PNG

Step 10 - make sure your bead is fully seated and remove the crows feet. Install your functional beadlock ring and install 4 bolts as shown in the photo below. You have 25 bolt holes, and you'll have an un even number of bolt holes between one pair (5,5,5,6)

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2420.JPG

Step 11 - start the remaining bolts by hand.
Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2421.JPG

Step 12 - Wipe down your tire and mark your sidewall/bolts on your starter bolts (the 4 you initially installed with the beadlock ring) I used a white grease pencil here and put a "v" next to each starter bolt. Going In a criss cross "star" pattern begin to seat the bolts, torquing ever so slightly. This is controversial but I use a small 12v impact on it's low setting to gently torque the bolts down as I do this step. Use your judgement here, if you're not comfortable with power tools you should definitely use a ratchet for this step. Continue the star pattern with the remaining bolts. I like to count it out as I go, starting with the 4 starter bolts I say to myself "zero, zero, zero, zero" as I torque them down before moving one space clockwise and counting "one, one, one, one" and so on. (Again, if this is confusing let me know and I'll try and clear it up.) Repeat this step until your beadlock ring is near seating. It should take you many laps to get this done. Don't rush this step, you're just trying to gently lower the bead and ring down into place.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2422.JPG

*note* If you are unsure of when to stop on step 12 it is wise to begin step 13 with a lower torque value i.e. 5ft-lb before working your way to 10, 15, etc.

Step 13 - After going through the bolts many, many (many!) times and seating your bead firmly. Grab your torque wrench and set to your desired torque (I've reduced my toque to 15ft-lb as I'm using a lubricating agent (anti-seize) on the threads of my bolts, I believe the Mopar manual states 20ft-lb, but be sure to check). Again, using the star pattern begin working your way around the ring. Each path around the ring, you'll get less and less swing on your torque wrench before it clicks, I usually call it good when I get less than 90 degrees of swing. When you're done make sure you have a very small, even gap around the bead. If this is large, or un-even it needs to be re-done.

Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2423.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL My Guide to Mounting Tires on XR Beadlocks IMG_2424.JPG

Thats it! The hard part is done!

Keep your tire on the bucket when inflating, as it helps to "sag" the back bead into place while you try and seat the bead. Be sure to stay clear of the beadlock ring when inflating in the case that something goes kablooey, and try not to jump in front of the ladies when the bead "POPS!" into place.

**Do not under any circumstances over inflate your tire to get the bead to seat. If you're having trouble getting the rear bead to seat stop what you're doing and seek professional help.**

I usually take my completed wheel back to Discount Tire for road force balancing, but there are other options like balance beads, etc.

Please be safe! I write this as a way to hopefully help the next guy cuss a little less during the process. Do not attempt to do this if you aren't confident in your abilities and don't understand the risks with running beadlocks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

trekster

First Name
Trekster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon Extreme Recon
Thank you for this information! How do they handle at highway speed and what tire pressure are you using?

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thank you for this information! How do they handle at highway speed and what tire pressure are you using?
Assuming this is referring to the tires?

The Yokohamas are great, this is my second set, and I’ll likely go back for more next time. They are great on road, dirt, mud, deep snow, slickrock, and just about everything but sand and even then, the sand performance is good when combined with really low pressures offered by beadlocks. They’re quiet on road for being a mud tire, and I had a lot of life left on them when I sold Jeepeto II after 30k+ miles. I do stay on top of rotations, every 3k with the oil and I do a 5 tire rotation that incorporates the spare tire into normal rotation. That being said I believe Jeepeto II was on track to do 50k+ miles out of a set of MTs.

Jeepeto II
25psi on road
12-15 psi off road

Jeepeto III
25-27 psi on road
6 psi off road

trekster

First Name
Trekster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Assuming this is referring to the tires?

The Yokohamas are great, this is my second set, and I’ll likely go back for more next time. They are great on road, dirt, mud, deep snow, slickrock, and just about everything but sand and even then, the sand performance is good when combined with really low pressures offered by beadlocks. They’re quiet on road for being a mud tire, and I had a lot of life left on them when I sold Jeepeto II after 30k+ miles. I do stay on top of rotations, every 3k with the oil and I do a 5 tire rotation that incorporates the spare tire into normal rotation. That being said I believe Jeepeto II was on track to do 50k+ miles out of a set of MTs.

Jeepeto II
25psi on road
12-15 psi off road

Jeepeto III
25-27 psi on road
6 psi off road
Thank you, great to know! I'll likely by the Yokohamas when I get my new JL Rubicon XR. I've now waited 15 weeks, so should be soon. Do you think the bead locks affect the ride on the highway?

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Thank you, great to know! I'll likely by the Yokohamas when I get my new JL Rubicon XR. I've now waited 15 weeks, so should be soon. Do you think the bead locks affect the ride on the highway?
Are you planning on running 37s? They’re hard to get right now, you might do well to place your order soon.

I don’t want to encourage anyone to run beadlocks on the highway but I don’t find that they negatively affect the ride.

Sponsored

trekster

First Name
Trekster
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you planning on running 37s? They’re hard to get right now, you might do well to place your order soon.

I don’t want to encourage anyone to run beadlocks on the highway but I don’t find that they negatively affect the ride.
Yes on the 37s, I’ll be driving it at times 300 to 500 miles, do you see this as a problem with the bead locks? I used to trailer my JK, wanted to simply the drive. Sold the JK and the trailer.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Yes on the 37s, I’ll be driving it at times 300 to 500 miles, do you see this as a problem with the bead locks? I used to trailer my JK, wanted to simply the drive. Sold the JK and the trailer.
I rolled out to Moab from North Texas on these beadlocks without issue, and I’ll do it many more times. They seem as solid on road as any other wheel/tire combo I’ve ever used. I also have no issues sending my wife out on the highway in our Jeep.

That all being said, they aren’t technically legal for on road use, and I have a hard time posting in a public forum encouraging anyone to run them on the street as it implies an amount of liability. These are questions for you to answer for yourself. This is just a guide to help you mount your tires 😉

scoutermike

First Name
Mike Assef
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
392 Wrangler XR
Occupation
Retired truck driver
My first foray into headlocks was with a set of AEV Printlers. After fighting like mad with the first 2 and not being happy with how they seated, I came up with a trick that worked quite well. Took the bare rim and mounted it as a spare On the Jeep. Then mounted the tire on with lots of lube. Loosely installed the rings and twisted (rotated) the tire on the mounted wheel. Added a few more bolts and did it again. The bead made it’s way into place as I added more bolts and tightened them up.

Derf123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu
I rolled out to Moab from North Texas on these beadlocks without issue, and I’ll do it many more times. They seem as solid on road as any other wheel/tire combo I’ve ever used. I also have no issues sending my wife out on the highway in our Jeep.

That all being said, they aren’t technically legal for on road use, and I have a hard time posting in a public forum encouraging anyone to run them on the street as it implies an amount of liability. These are questions for you to answer for yourself. This is just a guide to help you mount your tires 😉
hey jeepeto, are you still running your xr beadlocks? Any updates? Any problems with it? I’m considering doing this myself with my xr wheels.

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

hey jeepeto, are you still running your xr beadlocks? Any updates? Any problems with it? I’m considering doing this myself with my xr wheels.
Still got em! They've been great with the exception of one wheel. It has always been a problem, I believe the holes are drilled too shallow in the wheel itself. I've broken down and re-mounted the wheel many times in an attempt to get it right but it always leaves a gap between the wheel and ring. The bolts bottom out before the gap is gone. It has since lead to a broken bolt on that wheel which I'm not stoked about. However the rest of the wheels have been great. I don't know that I'd be able to do much as far as a warranty claim on a beadlock wheel so I feel like I'm left holding the ball on this unless @JeepCares has any advice 😉

Sponsored

Derf123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jlu
Still got em! They've been great with the exception of one wheel. It has always been a problem, I believe the holes are drilled too shallow in the wheel itself. I've broken down and re-mounted the wheel many times in an attempt to get it right but it always leaves a gap between the wheel and ring. The bolts bottom out before the gap is gone. It has since lead to a broken bolt on that wheel which I'm not stoked about. However the rest of the wheels have been great
thanks for the quick reply! Do you just check your torque specs every time you balance your wheel/tires?

OP
OP
Jeepeto

Jeepeto

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sparky
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

thanks for the quick reply! Do you just check your torque specs every time you balance your wheel/tires?
Yep, I do tire rotation, oil change, beadlock torque every 3-4k miles. The other wheels have been very consistent, and rarely move before reaching torque value.
Sponsored