First Name
Stanley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Grand Cherokee Overland 2017 Jeep Renegade Limited
Occupation
Producer
Great Jeep! Great pictures! And a beautiful dog! :)

Sponsored

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
Wonderful story & adventure-overlanding . . .Yours and others like it are the Trips that inspire me to continue doing what I love most - Trips that take me to new, out-of-the-way lakes rivers & streams in or near our Great National Parks & Forest Lands in the WEST ! Another reason to down-size a bit from a possible RAM DT to a JEEP JL . . . and why my build will have the base soft-top! When Ursa Minor finally has the JL version up on their website to SEE, & some customer feedback reviews are in - by then I should have or have ordered my JL, all I'll need to do is have it installed, along with my Goose Gear rear cargo sleep/storage set up! Add the refer and the camp gear + fly fishing gear and off I go !
Hope others will add their stories of Adventure ready "Builds" and itineraries as time and ownerships move on. I will (hopefully) early to mid 2019. Keep on adventuring Baggio16 and keep updating with lots of inspiring pics and details !

ATXMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue JLU Sport S, Red Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely great build. I love how you have been building it up and still maintain a fairly stock look. I want to do the same.

I am heading to Big Bend NP in November and need to carry extra gas and water due to the remoteness of the area. How did you mount the Rotopax cans on the spare tire? I have been looking for a solution for mounting them on the tailgate but have yet to find anything.

Jtimbrook

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 1946 CJ2A
Love the build so far, but to address your question about comms I would highly highly suggest getting something whether it's a ham radio, cb, or a race radio anything will be better than nothing.

To give you an idea of how important it is, my wife and I went down to Big Bend one Spring Break to do some back country wheeling and camping, on our very first stop in the park we got out to hike up to Balancing Rock, we came across an elderly lady who seemed very lost. We sat her down and were able to get her calmed down enough to find out that she and her husband had went out to hike up to Balancing Rock and her husband decided to take a right instead of a left despite her protestations. About three hours had past when he left her at the point we found her at.

My wife stayed with her to give her an opportunity to calm down some more and I ran back to the Jeep and got on the radio and got in contact with the park rangers to start the search and rescue. It took the SAR unit about 45 minutes to locate the husband who was suffering from partial dehydration and heat exhaustion. When we got back to the ranger station they were very thankful we had stopped to help and even more thankful we had a cb on the Jeep.

A CB radio is one of the cheapest mods you can make to your Jeep but probably could potentially be one of the most important ones you have. Oh and Big Bend is notorious for having little to no cell coverage throughout the whole park which is something a lot of parks suffer from.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
Love the build so far, but to address your question about comms I would highly highly suggest getting something whether it's a ham radio, cb, or a race radio anything will be better than nothing.

To give you an idea of how important it is, my wife and I went down to Big Bend one Spring Break to do some back country wheeling and camping, on our very first stop in the park we got out to hike up to Balancing Rock, we came across an elderly lady who seemed very lost. We sat her down and were able to get her calmed down enough to find out that she and her husband had went out to hike up to Balancing Rock and her husband decided to take a right instead of a left despite her protestations. About three hours had past when he left her at the point we found her at.

My wife stayed with her to give her an opportunity to calm down some more and I ran back to the Jeep and got on the radio and got in contact with the park rangers to start the search and rescue. It took the SAR unit about 45 minutes to locate the husband who was suffering from partial dehydration and heat exhaustion. When we got back to the ranger station they were very thankful we had stopped to help and even more thankful we had a cb on the Jeep.

A CB radio is one of the cheapest mods you can make to your Jeep but probably could potentially be one of the most important ones you have. Oh and Big Bend is notorious for having little to no cell coverage throughout the whole park which is something a lot of parks suffer from.
You are a hero Jeep owner !

OP
OP
baggio16

baggio16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubicon
Wonderful story & adventure-overlanding . . .Yours and others like it are the Trips that inspire me to continue doing what I love most - Trips that take me to new, out-of-the-way lakes rivers & streams in or near our Great National Parks & Forest Lands in the WEST ! Another reason to down-size a bit from a possible RAM DT to a JEEP JL . . . and why my build will have the base soft-top! When Ursa Minor finally has the JL version up on their website to SEE, & some customer feedback reviews are in - by then I should have or have ordered my JL, all I'll need to do is have it installed, along with my Goose Gear rear cargo sleep/storage set up! Add the refer and the camp gear + fly fishing gear and off I go !
Hope others will add their stories of Adventure ready "Builds" and itineraries as time and ownerships move on. I will (hopefully) early to mid 2019. Keep on adventuring Baggio16 and keep updating with lots of inspiring pics and details !
Thanks! I had no idea on the whole overlanding thing until I searched on youtube about road trips to Alaska. I was just going to take the Prius and camp/hotel. What a difference the Jeep and tent make! It's weird that I inspire people. I drew my inspiration by venture4wd guy on Youtube and several others that gave up their jobs just to explore. When you have a whole glacier to yourself, you realize how awesome it all is.

I'm doing the same thing as you. I'm pretty sure I'm upgrading to the Ursa next spring and selling the tent. Also installing the Goose Gear stuff. After more than a few really rainy, muddy nights, I really like the idea of getting into the tent through the Jeep. Plus, easier to get the dog up.

That's a great story! I always believe in stopping and helping, if needed. I figure it's just karma.

That is the next mod on the list! I just ended up running out of Jeep money before the trip. This whole Jeep thing becomes a really expensive hobby. :)

Sponsored

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I was just going to take the Prius and camp/hotel. What a difference the Jeep and tent make!
Jeep is an all-terrain hiking boot ! Always willing to help !

( Prius is a lost ballet slipper , helpless , whining and crying .)

Duster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JKUR
That is the next mod on the list! I just ended up running out of Jeep money before the trip. This whole Jeep thing becomes a really expensive hobby. :)
Way to live! Until you can invest in a cb, don't forget you can contact SAR with your InReach.

RubiconGaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon granite, 2006 Rubicon beige, 1995 green Sahara, 1995 Sport aqua with splash (hers), 1995 Sahara beige (his). 2005 liberty and 2006 grand Cherokee limited
Vehicle Showcase
  • IMG_0765.JPG

Nice setup! How does your dog get up in the tent?

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
2 very close friends had terribly horrific bike accidents also. Other friends escaped health issues. We really never know what tomorrow will bring. Great you have recovered and are doing something you enjoy. It looks like you and the mutt are having the adventure of a lifetime living life to the fullest!

AT 27,000+ miles you might own the highest milage JL so far. Your adventures have taken you, Muttley, and your JL to some extreme areas. How has your Rubicon held up so far? Any mechanical issues or failures? Is the front windshield defroster OK at de-fogging, defrosting in the freezing cold and snow? How are the OEM LED headlights, how are they on the road, in freezing temps, does ice form on them and do they get warm enough to melt the ice? How do you like the K02 tires?

What options did you order with your JL? What options would you consider "must have" and which would you pass on if you were to redo it? Any options you wished you added?

Safe travels and thanks for sharing.
Sponsored