First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
This will be my First review of my 2018 JLU Sport s (Punk'N)

I have put 300 miles on my JL, and wanted to make a post about how amazing the new Wrangler is.

I drove a YJ for a few years, and a TJ for 11 years, havn't been in a wrangler since 2008

Sure I may be a bit biased because a Wrangler is me, and I feel whole when behind the wheel of one, whether on or off road, I love all the things people hate about them.

First I love the new style, it looks beautiful from the front to the back.
The Halogen lights are adequate, unless your half blind and need to be able to see 9 miles down the road, sure I think LEDs should have been standard on all trims.
The new sunrider soft top is such an improvement, I see no need for the premium, or a hardtop, it's a jeep wrangler, if the friggin sky is blue MY top is down, and yes, I will drive topless in the winter, that is one of the main reasons you buy a jeep wrangler right?
The sunrider is easy to take off and put on. wish I had a panel bag though, but I just keep 4 towels in the back and put them in between, and one on top

ESS, I personally do not mind it, I turn it off if I'm in traffic, pushing a button is not hard.
Uconnect 4 with 7" screen, this audio system is more than adequate, unless you like everyone in a mile radius to be able to hear your music...I am perfectly happy I didn't spend 1500 bucks on alpine infotainment upgrade.

It does drive better on the road than its predesessors...however, it is still a jeep, and you can feel it, if you have never driven a wrangler, you can still feel the wrangler quirkiness.

It feels great to be in a wrangler again, and for anyone on the fence because they read some story about some guy who does not actually like wranglers and just got one because he thinks it's cool and ends up hating it, over dumb shit, don't listen to the negative nancies, Debbie downers.

If you want to experience a wrangler, do it, if you turn out to not like it, move on, except the fact that is is not the vehicle for you, do not expect it to be a Cadillac.

Is it toned down? Yes, quite a bit, but it still feels like a wrangler, especially with top down and doors off.

Just wanted to make a positive post, really tired of the crying and complaining in society about everything. Everything needs to be catered to me attitude.
And you rarely see a post from someone who truly loves a wrangler.

I would buy this jeep 100 times again over any of my old jeeps.
Paint looks great, welds look great, no steering issue, it does float a bit at highway speed, but that is because its a wrangler, and I do not care what they try to do to it, it will allways feel floaty at 60 mph+

I think too many people that allways wanted a wrangler and finally got one, never realized it DOES NOT drive like anything else on the road.
It does not drive like a truck, nor a car...because it is neither, it does drive exactly like a jeep wrangler though.
You either love the floaty roughness, or you hate it

I will be taking her up to conneticut tomarrow for her first road trip ( brothers Bach Party in Foxwoods) might see if I can find a trail while i'm up there.

I love being in this JL, I love driving it, I love looking at it, it gives me the same smile my YJ and TJ gave me.
Best thing of all is my kids love it too, just as much as I do.
I leased this one, but already know I will be buying it out in 3 years
JL= Just Love
Sponsored

Mr Bill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Great Post! I also just picked my JL Rubicon up this week and have 250 miles on it! This is my 5th Jeep (had a Cherokee chief, YJ, TG AND JK) I kept all of them for at least 10 years! I started reading the posts on this forum back when I bought my JK in 2007 and started scanning again when I was going to purchase a JL. The vast majority of the posts have been positive (what vehicle is not going to have issues) but the negative ones as mentioned had me a little nervous about a first year production model purchase. Hell my 2007 JK was first year and when I traded it in for the JL had 220,000 miles on it so it did me good over the years! Sometimes you can read too much like when you try to diagnosis your own medical condition on forums and think you have a fatal disease. The same can be said for reading too many posts on steering, welds, audio issues etc. This is a jeep and drives like a jeep I am going to give it a little more than a week and 250 miles to make a judgement call on it. Nothing in my opinion beats a Wrangler I was looking at other vehicles before purchasing this one did not take me long to know I wanted another Wrangler. I will post more later on when I have put more miles on it and get accustomed to road handling etc. Again great post and good to hear positive feedback the posts with issues/problems are also extremely helpful.

OP
OP
ChrispyJL

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
I ate lunch in it under a shady tree yesterday lol top off of course.
wife calls and asks what I'm doing.
eating lunch in my Jeep.
You're ridiculous
yes, yes I am

I have wanted a wrangler, since I sold my TJ, nothing can fill that void

Mr Bill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Congrats again and hope you continue to enjoy the things a ONLY a Wrangler can provide! As mentioned I looked at other vehicles but NOTHING came close. ENJOY!

Sponsored

TheLion

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JL
Gotta say, over the last jeep I owned (20ish years ago) the JL drives really nice and is way more comfortable. Then again I trashed my old jeep with hard use so maybe that is part of it. :D

Muzzle of Bees

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 TEP
What do expect with only 300 miles on the clock a bucket of bolts?

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Great post! It's too easy nowadays to be able to complain about something to a large forum of people. All vehicles have issues, and by and large, people come to the online forums to complain about this or that. It makes it seem as if the sky is falling, where in reality it is just a small percentage of vehicles having issues. We have warranties for a reason. The real gem to forums is when we have a problem it can be researched and we can educate ourselves to possible solutions. I learn a lot on forums, and I love them for it, but you sometimes need to weed out the noise or you will need to fashion a tin foil hat so that FCA can't get a read on you.

My JLUR isn't perfect, I wish it was, but I have a warranty to fix the imperfections. For instance, I'm waiting for a new instrument cluster because I keep getting a "Service Tire Pressure System" warning on startup. The dealer and FCA have worked on the reason and determined the cluster (which has 3 computer modules on it) is bad. Warranty! Also, they installed a Rubicon sticker on the hood crooked. Warranty! Other than those 2 things it is flawless. It rides great, steering isn't jacked up and my welds are good. If I get flashing lights and stop now or die warnings, I at least have a clue what to look for and I have a...warranty!

I get that Wranglers aren't for everybody and I wonder why some people even bother to buy them. I bought my 2013 JKR used in 2014 with 7400 miles on it off a Mazda lot. It still smelled new. I figure the person that bought it new couldn't handle the fact that it only got 20 mpg hwy and rode unlike any car they ever had before. Their dissatisfaction was pure joy for me.

Jeep life for me, and I am deliriously in love with my JL Unlimited Rubicon.

Mr Bill

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL
Great post! It's too easy nowadays to be able to complain about something to a large forum of people. All vehicles have issues, and by and large, people come to the online forums to complain about this or that. It makes it seem as if the sky is falling, where in reality it is just a small percentage of vehicles having issues. We have warranties for a reason. The real gem to forums is when we have a problem it can be researched and we can educate ourselves to possible solutions. I learn a lot on forums, and I love them for it, but you sometimes need to weed out the noise or you will need to fashion a tin foil hat so that FCA can't get a read on you.

My JLUR isn't perfect, I wish it was, but I have a warranty to fix the imperfections. For instance, I'm waiting for a new instrument cluster because I keep getting a "Service Tire Pressure System" warning on startup. The dealer and FCA have worked on the reason and determined the cluster (which has 3 computer modules on it) is bad. Warranty! Also, they installed a Rubicon sticker on the hood crooked. Warranty! Other than those 2 things it is flawless. It rides great, steering isn't jacked up and my welds are good. If I get flashing lights and stop now or die warnings, I at least have a clue what to look for and I have a...warranty!

I get that Wranglers aren't for everybody and I wonder why some people even bother to buy them. I bought my 2013 JKR used in 2014 with 7400 miles on it off a Mazda lot. It still smelled new. I figure the person that bought it new couldn't handle the fact that it only got 20 mpg hwy and rode unlike any car they ever had before. Their dissatisfaction was pure joy for me.

Jeep life for me, and I am deliriously in love with my JL Unlimited Rubicon.
Perfect Post sums up why we buy Wranglers and why some "others" should not! After I bought my first one in 1992 I was hooked and have not looked back. Just a fun vehicle that is NOT for everyone, better for us!

klhjeep2018

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Occupation
Sales manager
This will be my First review of my 2018 JLU Sport s (Punk'N)

I have put 300 miles on my JL, and wanted to make a post about how amazing the new Wrangler is.

I drove a YJ for a few years, and a TJ for 11 years, havn't been in a wrangler since 2008

Sure I may be a bit biased because a Wrangler is me, and I feel whole when behind the wheel of one, whether on or off road, I love all the things people hate about them.

First I love the new style, it looks beautiful from the front to the back.
The Halogen lights are adequate, unless your half blind and need to be able to see 9 miles down the road, sure I think LEDs should have been standard on all trims.
The new sunrider soft top is such an improvement, I see no need for the premium, or a hardtop, it's a jeep wrangler, if the friggin sky is blue MY top is down, and yes, I will drive topless in the winter, that is one of the main reasons you buy a jeep wrangler right?
The sunrider is easy to take off and put on. wish I had a panel bag though, but I just keep 4 towels in the back and put them in between, and one on top

ESS, I personally do not mind it, I turn it off if I'm in traffic, pushing a button is not hard.
Uconnect 4 with 7" screen, this audio system is more than adequate, unless you like everyone in a mile radius to be able to hear your music...I am perfectly happy I didn't spend 1500 bucks on alpine infotainment upgrade.

It does drive better on the road than its predesessors...however, it is still a jeep, and you can feel it, if you have never driven a wrangler, you can still feel the wrangler quirkiness.

It feels great to be in a wrangler again, and for anyone on the fence because they read some story about some guy who does not actually like wranglers and just got one because he thinks it's cool and ends up hating it, over dumb shit, don't listen to the negative nancies, Debbie downers.

If you want to experience a wrangler, do it, if you turn out to not like it, move on, except the fact that is is not the vehicle for you, do not expect it to be a Cadillac.

Is it toned down? Yes, quite a bit, but it still feels like a wrangler, especially with top down and doors off.

Just wanted to make a positive post, really tired of the crying and complaining in society about everything. Everything needs to be catered to me attitude.
And you rarely see a post from someone who truly loves a wrangler.

I would buy this jeep 100 times again over any of my old jeeps.
Paint looks great, welds look great, no steering issue, it does float a bit at highway speed, but that is because its a wrangler, and I do not care what they try to do to it, it will allways feel floaty at 60 mph+

I think too many people that allways wanted a wrangler and finally got one, never realized it DOES NOT drive like anything else on the road.
It does not drive like a truck, nor a car...because it is neither, it does drive exactly like a jeep wrangler though.
You either love the floaty roughness, or you hate it

I will be taking her up to conneticut tomarrow for her first road trip ( brothers Bach Party in Foxwoods) might see if I can find a trail while i'm up there.

I love being in this JL, I love driving it, I love looking at it, it gives me the same smile my YJ and TJ gave me.
Best thing of all is my kids love it too, just as much as I do.
I leased this one, but already know I will be buying it out in 3 years
JL= Just Love
Great post, From a true wrangler purist, I personally agree with every word in your post. Amen!!!

Sponsored

phxrubijl

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
This is my first Wrangler (Have Gran Cherokee and had 97 Cherokee Country). I have 2600 miles on it and I love the vehicle. I have driven it mostly at highway speeds (70mph) and it stays in the lane with little input to steering. It tracks better than my GC. Everything works except compass . I can't wait to take it off road. Yes there is wind noise , but it is a Wrangler. And yes you have to be careful with it in cross winds at highway speeds. Its like landing a plane in a cross wind. Proper tech. will help. Remember to lower the gear before parking it

Chuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon M/T 2dr, 2009 Nissan Xterra Off Road M/T with a 2" lift
Vehicle Showcase
+1 on the great post! I have about 750 miles on mine, and I'm loving it more and more every mile. I realize it's still very young, but I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

Over the last couple decades, I almost pulled the trigger on buying a Wrangler so many times ... I'm so glad I finally did it. This is my first Wrangler (and first Jeep), and I already feel like I'll become a lifer.

Sure, there are some little things that I don't like about it, but none are major concerns (every car I've ever owned has had its annoyances). Now, if I can only stop accidentally pressing the radio on/off button instead of the push-button ...

I love all the little surprises and thoughtful features, too, like the beer holder on the tailgate:

IMG_0758.jpg

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
This is the first Jeep we’ve ever owned. So far with 2600 miles in a month it’s been great! It already had a lift, and 35X12.5R18LT tires when we purchased it.

Fuel economy for something that’s lifted and has the large tires has been darn good. So far the average has been around 19-19.6.

Since we live in Wyoming we were going to purchase a 4-wheeler and a truck, but decided on this Big 4 wheeler instead. We’ve been very impressed.

Not really much that I would change about the Wrangler itself. Only thing so far that I would change would be the tires. Running 75 on the interstate my rpm is around 1800, and with the hills around here it very seldom goes into 8th gear, unless I’m going down hill, or manually shift it into 8th.

Also very happy that I purchased a Tazer so I can change TPMS and other features on the Wrangler. Well worth the money!
Sponsored