Sponsored

My first real gripe with my JL... anyone else?

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
So......it is the fuel gauge. Basically today, it was reading just over a 1/4. I like to fill between 1/4 and 1/2 (I know, probably doesn't matter but those lessons are father's taught us, right). It took 10 gallons. Tank should be 21 gallons right??? (4 door).

I feel like I am constantly putting gas in it. Partly I am constantly driving it. Another part is the weird way the gauge seems to read. On the plus side, 10 gallon fill ups are cheap! Old jk would be $40. I have a hard time squeezing $30 in this! Thank God the top comes down, makes it all better.
IMG_20190711_184521.jpg
Sponsored

GreyFox

First Name
Brandy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 JKU, 19 JL
Errrr, any particular reason why you don't fill it up? :movember:
Edit: LMFAO I'm tired:like: I thought you meant you only like to keep it between 1/4-1/2, not fill it up when it gets to that level:headbang: Carry on and ignore:giggle:

Last edited:

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
there is at least one other thread on this I read recently. apparently people think FCA doesn't want people rock crawling without a big enough reserve to get to a gas station. And the JLU and JL get around 16-20 miles per gallon (depending on city or highway driving) , if you let it get to the reserve of 4-6 gallons then you have about 65-100+ miles of driving before out of gas. And i'm sure they don't want to be sued by someone saying they only had 20 miles of fuel when they thought they had 40. better safe and give them 80 and let them think they have 40.

I usually fill up the tank when the gauge is at 1/4 tank. might take 13 or so gallons.

KPersCO

First Name
KP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Rubicon, '13 WRX Wagon
Occupation
Engineer
I too have heard they did almost the same thing that they did with the JK and had the light come on quite early. Reasons I have always heard tossed around are the above not wanting people to run out off road and also as a make up to how notorious the TJs were for the light coming one when you only had like 1 gallon.

You should run start running it a set number of miles past the "0 miles left" so you can establish you own 1/4 tank. That way you will still be able to between the real 1/4 and 1/2.

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Seems odd. My JKUs gas light would come in with about 5 gallons left in the 22.5 gallon tank, and my JLU has been about the same for me the couple of times I’ve ran it to the light.

OP
OP
Ksvette

Ksvette

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport s
I ran my JK (2009, so early years) really low once. It seemed as if it was like most cars, first half goes slower than second (probably for the reserve reasons listed above). I just need to re train myself to fill up at 1/4 and it will probably be normal. While 1/4 should have like 5 gallons, someone stated above they get 13 in at 1/4. Meaning 8 gallons. Probably my issue right there.

All in all minor gripe, lol. I lived my JK, but really love my JL. Now comparison pictures.
IMG_20190628_193005.jpg
IMG_20190414_160009_01.jpg

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I know what you mean, my 18 JLUR ran out of fuel on the test drive and couldn't fill the tank then. it always seemed that the gage on that one was a bit funky..
My 19 JLUR when in the red and "LOW" range to empty showing took 19.685 gals on a fill-up last week.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i feel the same way. But iv gone all the way down tell it says i have 10 miles left and the most i've fueled up is 18.2 gallons. the light comes on around 75 left but thats like 5 gallons worth of fuel!

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I think it is set up like for people that drive like my wife who hates to fuel any vehicle. She drives with the fuel light on, and 0 miles left on the clock. I have told her that if the vehicle runs dry of fuel it will damage the lift pump in the tank and the high pressure pump for the injection system. The fuel is used as a coolant and lubricant for the very sensitive pumps. FCA has most likely dummied the fuel gauge down for for the people that love the thrill to see how far the vehicle will go after reaching 0 miles. Those same people are angry when the fuel pumps fail and they receive a bill for a couple grand in repairs. ( Darwin at work )

Sponsored

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
Another oddity I found when below half full and in 4lo, the fuel indicator dives down at a faster rate thereby making you panic. Then after you switch back to 2hi and drive for awhile the indicator returns to near what it was. Wondering whether it adjusts automatically based on what you’re doing.

Snayte

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara Hella Yella, 2017 Ram 1500 Longhorn
I filled yesterday from 1/8th a tank and it took 17 gals.

B_AIRS

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Sr. Applications Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Another oddity I found when below half full and in 4lo, the fuel indicator dives down at a faster rate thereby making you panic. Then after you switch back to 2hi and drive for awhile the indicator returns to near what it was. Wondering whether it adjusts automatically based on what you’re doing.
I think it does adjust automatically based on the current fuel economy. I got in mine this morning and while doing stop and go driving to get to the highway it said I had 49 miles to empty. I then got on the highway and the distance to empty went up to 60 miles to empty where it stayed for almost 10 miles before starting to go back down again.

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
I have not found this on mine, however the tank being shallow and long the gauge fluctuations seem to be very incline/decline sensitive.
Sponsored