Sponsored

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
Are you certain about the 4xe not qualifying for the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project? I could not find any info indicating that it would not qualify. I presumed that the 4Xe wasn't listed on the site because it was not yet released.

Update: I checked the CVRP plan terms and it looks like the vehicle must have an all-electric range of at least 35 miles to qualify!! Damn!

It seems that some of the car mags should have been clearer when stating that that the 4xe would qualify for the $7,500 Fed tax credit. They should have stated up to a $7,500 tax credit. Even better, they could have specified the exact Fed credit-- by my calculation: $3,751 ($2,500 + $417 for every 5 Kwh battery capacity--4xe has 17.3 kwh battery so 3 x $417 = $1,251). That is certainly a far cry from $7500. After reading those articles, I had been under the impression that the Fed credi was a flat $7,500.

So,
$3,751 Fed
$1,500 Cal Clean Fuel Reward
$1,000 Cal Clean Vehicle Rebate (?)

Total: $5,250. That is a good deal less than the $9-10K "discount" that I was contemplating, but I think it still makes $ sense for me to get this rather than a "standard" petrol Rubi or the 392.

Don't forget that you get a Fed Tax credit of 30% of the costs (parts and installation) of an at-home charger (up to a max credit of $1,000).
Yeah, a bit disappointing to find out about the CVRP disqualification! I think they added all these new requirements in the past couple years, because, by and large, only well-heeled Tesla owners were taking advantage.

The requirement for the HOV lane access decal is a bit less limited, though the 4xe isn't explicitly listed there yet. Depending on your income level, you might be eligible for only one or the other between the rebate or the decal (in any CVRP-qualifying vehicle, not just the 4xe). I'm trying to convince myself that I'd have chosen the decal anyway, so I feel less bad about missing out (but, fine, I'm lying to myself).

I believe the federal credit IS in fact $7500, however. I'll need to double-check in case I missed something.

I'm gonna call whoever administers the Clean Fuel Reward and see if I can still grab the $1500, even if I didn't buy from a participating dealership. Long shot, but worth a try, I suppose...

Last edited:

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Are you certain about the 4xe not qualifying for the Clean Vehicle Rebate Project? I could not find any info indicating that it would not qualify. I presumed that the 4Xe wasn't listed on the site because it was not yet released.

Update: I checked the CVRP plan terms and it looks like the vehicle must have an all-electric range of at least 35 miles to qualify!! Damn!

It seems that some of the car mags should have been clearer when stating that that the 4xe would qualify for the $7,500 Fed tax credit. They should have stated up to a $7,500 tax credit. Even better, they could have specified the exact Fed credit-- by my calculation: $3,751 ($2,500 + $417 for every 5 Kwh battery capacity--4xe has 17.3 kwh battery so 3 x $417 = $1,251). That is certainly a far cry from $7500. After reading those articles, I had been under the impression that the Fed credi was a flat $7,500.

So,
$3,751 Fed
$1,500 Cal Clean Fuel Reward
$1,000 Cal Clean Vehicle Rebate (?)

Total: $5,250. That is a good deal less than the $9-10K "discount" that I was contemplating, but I think it still makes $ sense for me to get this rather than a "standard" petrol Rubi or the 392.

Don't forget that you get a Fed Tax credit of 30% of the costs (parts and installation) of an at-home charger (up to a max credit of $1,000).
It's not $2500 + $417 for every 5Kwh, it's $417 for every 1 (one)kwh over the first 5kwh, so it's $2500 + (12 [ 17.3-5=12.3, then you round to the nearest whole number] x $417) = $7,504 ... That's exactly why the capacity is 17kwh, to get the full $7500.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires

Bill Reiter

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'07 Toyota FJ Cruiser; '08 Yukon; '05 CTS-V
Here you go 4XE $7500 credit from the IRS web site.
Jeep Wrangler JL My first reactions from 4xe Wrangler test drive! IRS Plug in Tax credit
That is GREAT news! Thank you! Either IRS changed the credit structure between '20 and '21 OR both Car and Driver and US News just plain had it wrong. Either way, I'm tickled!

Sponsored

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
That is GREAT news! Thank you! Either IRS changed the credit structure between '20 and '21 OR both Car and Driver and US News just plain had it wrong. Either way, I'm tickled!
I've seen it quoted wrong many times. It was even worse when the original "rule" was written: $500 for each kwh up to 5 kwh, and $417 per kwh over the initial 5 kwh, with a minimum credit of $2500 and a maximum credit of $7500. That always got butchered. So now it's just $2500 plus...etc.

It further confuses people when they see vehicles that should qualify for $X amount (based on rule above), but are on the IRS site as much lower and don't realize the "phase out" rules that also exist once a vehicle hits certain sales quantities.

I'm just hoping that they build the credit into the lease numbers while also still offering a competitive lease (and not an "inflated" lease because of it).

dwosgood

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JT, 2000 TJ
I put my order in today, well, it will be completed on Monday. But I gave my deposit payment info so that it can be processed on Monday.

For other California-based buyers, I am submitting for the CVAP and hoping I can either slip through the cracks and get approval, or they change their policy between now and when I make my purchase. It sure would be sweet to knock $5k off of the purchase price with a grant. As of right now, the 4xe isn’t on their vehicle list but it may be in time, so maybe I’ll get a break.

Also hoping the tread lightly rebate is able to get rolled into the 4xe by the time I sign for the Jeep.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
O.K> I'm all in now! Just ordered one and received a VIN# 1/29. I sure hope it receives the full federal tax credit. I'm banking on it to bring my out the door cost to about 47K on my build. MSRP just over 60K dealer offered at wholesale and some of his hold back!
4XE Granite Rubicon, black fenders and top, cloth, tow, cold weather, front camera, both technology pkgs. proximity, cargo system, led pkg and 8.4/Alpine of course. My son owns Relentless fabrication in Sparks Nv. and he has a Gladiator so he can set me up with bumpers/winch etc. :) Planning a trip to Moab in May. I hope it gets here on time!

jdeolivares

First Name
Juan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
O.K> I'm all in now! Just ordered one and received a VIN# 1/29. I sure hope it receives the full federal tax credit. I'm banking on it to bring my out the door cost to about 47K on my build. MSRP just over 60K dealer offered at wholesale and some of his hold back!
4XE Granite Rubicon, black fenders and top, cloth, tow, cold weather, front camera, both technology pkgs. proximity, cargo system, led pkg and 8.4/Alpine of course. My son owns Relentless fabrication in Sparks Nv. and he has a Gladiator so he can set me up with bumpers/winch etc. :) Planning a trip to Moab in May. I hope it gets here on time!
Congratulation! As long as you pay at least $7500 in fed taxes, the 4xe is eligible for the $7500 credit. It was listed on the fed phev tax site

Sponsored

MG618

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Congrats, that's awesome! How did you get down so low? Did you include the tax credit and trade equity?

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'm all in now! Just ordered and received a VIN# Sure hope it receives the full federal tax credit. I'm banking on it to bring my out the door cost to about 47K on my build. MSRP just over 60K dealer offered at wholesale and some of his hod back!
Congrats, that's awesome! How did you get down so low? Did you include the tax credit and trade equity?
I know the general manager at the dealer I purchased from. I had a bad experience with Chrysler motors in 1999 through another dealer and My friend said if I ever chose to try a Chrysler product again he would do the best he could to be sure I was happy and to regain confidence in their products. I suggested to him that Chrysler should be the one discounting to help me....it's a long bad story about two product defects they denied acknowledgement of. They then came out with service bullitens on both items months after I took a big trade in loss and purchased a Chevy Tahoe. Anyway, Steve my friend said Chrysler would not do anything but he would so I know this is the kind of dealer to stick with.

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
I'm all in now! Just ordered and received a VIN# Sure hope it receives the full federal tax credit. I'm banking on it to bring my out the door cost to about 47K on my build. MSRP just over 60K dealer offered at wholesale and some of his hod back!

I know the general manager at the dealer I purchased from. I had a bad experience with Chrysler motors in 1999 through another dealer and My friend said if I ever chose to try a Chrysler product again he would do the best he could to be sure I was happy and to regain confidence in their products. I suggested to him that Chrysler should be the one discounting to help me....it's a long bad story about two product defects they denied acknowledgement of. They then came out with service bullitens on both items months after I took a big trade in loss and purchased a Chevy Tahoe. Anyway, Steve my friend said Chrysler would not do anything but he would so I know this is the kind of dealer to stick with.
I forgot to mention, no boot, no tax credit, no trade...Just a great guy trying to build my confidence again at his margins.

eLECTRICON

The rear seat cushions flip upright forward, then the seat back folds forward down on top of the battery pack where the seat cushions were. The seat backs end up with a slight incline and probably 6-8 inches higher than the rear load floor. (No real measurement taken)
I guess no air mattress back there for camping inside unless some kind of new floor or drawer system is inserted in the cargo area. I say that because my daughter has done that a couple times in my 2019 JLU.
Cluster left side has tach with temp gauge, right side is charge vs power output with fuel level gauge. Of course in the middle you'll also have Speedo, SOC, range, avg mpg...

Jeep Wrangler JL My first reactions from 4xe Wrangler test drive! IRS Plug in Tax credit
Can you measure the wall behind the seat for us? It has an 8" sub so if I had to guess its somwhere around 4"?

moments.by.ron

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Can you measure the wall behind the seat for us? It has an 8" sub so if I had to guess its somwhere around 4"?
That grille is going to be more like 10"-11" if it's an 8" sub, so I'm guessing that wall is closer to 6-7".
Sponsored