First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
The 45.8mpg is the gas mileage in (for lack of a better term) hybrid mode? Or does that mileage drop off when the battery is depleted to the point where you can no longer drive in pure EV?
The cluster is configurable, that setting is called "Energy Economy". It's not clear to me yet how that is determined since most of that was under electric drive only in hybrid mode where the instant economy stayed pegged at 99.
It hovers around there until the engine runs and it adjusts based on usage.
Sponsored

KDX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
The cluster is configurable, that setting is called "Energy Economy". It's not clear to me yet how that is determined since most of that was under electric drive only in hybrid mode where the instant economy stayed pegged at 99.
It hovers around there until the engine runs and it adjusts based on usage.
Thanks. Any guesstimate as to what the mileage is like in hybrid mode, IE a long highway trip.

OP
OP
Harleexl

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
Thanks. Any guesstimate as to what the mileage is like in hybrid mode, IE a long highway trip.
Not really sure, no experience with a full tank trip. I could assume that traveling below 70mph, just adding in the original electric only miles would bump my avg mpg up by about 2mpg on a full tank trip. I don't know how much the battery would regenerate and how much it could go back to electric drive only at any point so that's a really good question.

My favorite reasons for the 4xe are:
1) The daily electric only miles either driving around town or work commuting within the 25 mile range.
2) The added power on tap when you want it = 375hp/470lbft.

If you haven't seen posted JLU fuel economy numbers, my reference 2.0L etorque JLUS got around 26mpg highway staying below 70mph or even better at 60mph. Getting much over 70mph would drop mileage closer to 24mpg.

I really like the 4xe.

Hasaf

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Compass
No. I am talking about all in. The engine and transmission, all in, will be below $7500. I'd almost guarantee that. Jeep isn't dumb. They lose the talking point about savings if they eat up the full tax credit since so many people out there won't qualify for the full one.

I can't think of any PHEVs with a $7,500+ upcharge over their non-hybrid siblings. The Pacifica should be used as the model, here. A FCA vehicle and not at all a $7,500 upcharge.

Remember. Jeep WANTS to sell these. They need to sell these for CAFE standards. There will definitely be a premium, but I would just be utterly shocked to see it priced above the tax credit. I don't see how that helps sell the vehicle for Jeep.
I definitely hope you are right. I am a 53-year-old Middle School teacher (don't laugh too hard, it pays better than teaching at the college did). I currently drive a Compass, which is my third jeep after a Willies PU and a CJ5. With a creak and a groan, the Willies gently rolled down a ravine. For all I know, it may still be there. The CJ... I was in the army and sold it in a fit of stupid... should have held onto it.

. . . back to the point, the 4xe has me inspired enough that I have started making 600/mo "payments" into an account for the sole purpose of making a healthy down payment on a 4xe, I expect to keep the Compass for my daughter to drive. However, the Tax Credit is not entirely useful to me as I don't pay that much in federal taxes. No matter what, in the end, the numbers have to work.

As I mentioned earlier, the 4xe is what brought me to this forum. I have no intention of purchasing one during the first year, but yes, I am eager to hear whatever information there is about it. As stated, in the end, the numbers have to work.

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Is it silent when in electric only mode? Like if you were out on the trail, doors and top off, crawling along at 8 mph, would the only sound be the crunching of twigs and a faint electric motor whine? Because that’s the biggest appeal to me.

Not that I’ll be getting one because I like my jeeps in two-door, manual transmission flavor, but it would be neat to see someone else out there wheeling along silently.

edit: I should clarify the reason I’m asking. There have been proposals to force auto manufacturers to make electric vehicles create artificial noise so you can’t catch pedestrians off guard as easily.
Pedestrians rarely look up when crossing a street no matter what you're driving. It never ceases to amaze me how when I'm making a right turn and a pedestrian is approaching the crosswalk, if they have a walk sign they never even glance to their left to check for turning vehicles.

Sponsored

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
I dont care about the PHEV either. I'm excited about the power and torque. I also hate the red on Rubicons. I ordered the Sierra 4xe. I'm really hoping it does not come with the blue stitching inside.

eLECTRICON

I dont care about the PHEV either. I'm excited about the power and torque. I also hate the red on Rubicons. I ordered the Sierra 4xe. I'm really hoping it does not come with the blue stitching inside.
The Sahara has white stitching. See the dash...says Sahara. Plus no lock dif switch. Rubi has blue..which I like.
Jeep Wrangler JL My first reactions from 4xe Wrangler test drive! 2019-Jeep-Wrangler-Sahara-interior-dashboard-and-steering-wheel

robynE

First Name
Robyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
That could just be a stock photo though of a regular Sahara. If it does come with blue stitching (which I'm kind of thinking it wont on Sahara) I'm sure I will just get used to nd be happy with whatever I get.

Sponsored

gc2488

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Thanks for posting all the details about the Wrangler 4xe!

Take pictures of any instrument panel and Uconnect screens related to the electric drive. Do you see any preheating features? Any indication of battery temperature?

Do you see Adaptive Cruise Control feature? Probably no sign of the LaneSense button with the icon of a vehicle diagonally across a road, right? I would expect the 4xe to have Electric Power Steering which is new for the Wrangler, for power steering when the gas engine is off. How is steering response?

Pappy06

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE Ordered, GMC Denal Diesel, Triumph Bonnie
Harleext,

How are you liking the 4xe now that you have had more time in it? Any subsequent impressions?
Anything helps. Thanks.

OP
OP
Harleexl

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
Harleext,

How are you liking the 4xe now that you have had more time in it? Any subsequent impressions?
Anything helps. Thanks.
I am an employee, and these are only my personal opinions, but I really like this Jeep! This is my first hybrid vehicle and I find it very cool being able to do most of my daily driving on electric power only.
I liked my last 2019 Wrangler 2.0T etouque a lot, felt it was pretty quick and had plenty of power, but in comparison the added power of the 4xe feels really good! The electric motors coupled with the engine running makes it pull really strong.
Also, the steering is perfect in this 4xe.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
How is the 4 wheel system? Does it need the gas for true off road climbing and such? How capable off road is it in pure electric?

That would interest me in doing the wooded trails in silent mode.

OP
OP
Harleexl

Harleexl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS 4xe Sting Gray
Occupation
Automotive
How is the 4 wheel system? Does it need the gas for true off road climbing and such? How capable off road is it in pure electric?

That would interest me in doing the wooded trails in silent mode.
These are questions I couldn't answer myself from any experience. Based on the info provided by FCA from testing them on trails out west I would assume they are quite capable in electric mode.
Sponsored