K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Greetings fellow enthusiasts,

Today, I finally had time to head to Columbia and get eyes on the new JL Wrangler.

I got a look at 2 JLU Rubicons and a JLU Sahara.

Here’s some take away I have:

1. Compared to the JK or any vehicle I’ve recently sat my butt in, the seats are infinitely more comfortable. It’s unreal. The seats tested were the Rubicon and Sahara with leather. Top notch quality/feel for sure.

2. The size of the Jeep is noticeably larger. It’s very apparent without having to look closely at it. Especially the width of it.
— Rear legroom appears substantially increased, even though it’s only by about 2 inches

3. The Rubicon is such a difference from the rest. Every angle is that much better IMO. The tires are the perfect proportion to the vehicle, the fenders look killer, and the steel bumpers are icing on the cake. At least 10X more striking in person as compared to photos. It’s simply amazing.

4. Interior materials overall are leaps and bounds better. Everything felt a lot more put together, and the ergonomics are on point. I like driving with my elbow on the window sill and the center armrest, and both felt to be at the perfect height. And that tilt/telescoping wheel is an absolute god send

5. I’m 6’ 1” and felt I had plenty of shoulder/head/leg room. A bit more than a Tacoma for sure. Riding position is superior to most vehicles this size. They aced it in that regard.

6. I didn’t get to drive it, as I did have my 2 year old with me, but my initial impressions are “I’m more than happy I ordered one, even sight unseen”

7. I knew more about the JL (and I’m sure most of you as well) than the salesperson did. Had to quiz him on the location of the flip flops

8. You cannot go wrong with White, Red or Billet silver, as those are the three colors I saw. Liked every one of them. That silver had a good amount of metallic flake to it. Simply beautiful

Zero regrets, and zero things I would change. My order is on a Firecracker Red Rubicon Unlimited with LEDs, Infotainment, Tow, Safety, Steel Bumpers, and Black hardtop. MSRP $48060.

The only negatives I have were the appearance of the color hardtop and flares. It was a bit too much. But I know some like that, so I’ll leave it alone.

I’m sure what I’ve said has been said before, so I’m just giving my own personal opinion, I guess just to reinforce what’s been said.

Enjoy!

-Mike

769D796C-5683-4298-A553-CC50B9547CBA.jpeg

94BB162C-2390-44E3-81D0-427866D04C28.jpeg
My little girl is an avid Jeep Enthusiast by the way. Kept saying “That’s my Jeep, YEAH!!!”
Sponsored

Last edited:

Horse1200s

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Good write up! Have any pics of the billet silver rubi from further back?

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Good write up! Have any pics of the billet silver rubi from further back?
No, sorry. Didn’t grab any full photos. Was spending most of my time wrangling the little one, other than those brief moments when we were sitting in it

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I agree with your assessment of the Rubicon. Went by a local dealer on a quiet Sunday and they had a number of Sport S JLUs and then one Rubicon in the Showroom. I will be a Sport S buyer.

But the Rubicon was a different animal altogether. Really impressive. It had so much more presence than the Sport you would swear it was a bigger vehicle. To me it has the perfect stance stock.

Congratulations on your order.

Sponsored

AwCrimety

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUS
Nice write up. Anyone one know if the cloth seats are the same comfort as leather? I plan on passing on the leather, as I usually get pretty lax about putting the top up, and sometimes get some rain in there. It's had no negative effect on my cloth seats, but figured the leather wouldn't fair as well. If the leather is more comfortable I suppose I could be more diligent

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link

JHJLUR

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GC Overland, 18 JLUR
Nice write up. Anyone one know if the cloth seats are the same comfort as leather? I plan on passing on the leather, as I usually get pretty lax about putting the top up, and sometimes get some rain in there. It's had no negative effect on my cloth seats, but figured the leather wouldn't fair as well. If the leather is more comfortable I suppose I could be more diligent
The cloth seats are extremely comfortable and also seem to formed perfectly, I love them.... same as the leather, just different covering.

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
The cloth seats are extremely comfortable and also seem to formed perfectly, I love them.... same as the leather, just different covering.
That’s great to hear! I’m going with the premium cloth as well, and was hoping that was the case

Sponsored

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I agree with your assessment of the Rubicon. Went by a local dealer on a quiet Sunday and they had a number of Sport S JLUs and then one Rubicon in the Showroom. I will be a Sport S buyer.

But the Rubicon was a different animal altogether. Really impressive. It had so much more presence than the Sport you would swear it was a bigger vehicle. To me it has the perfect stance stock.

Congratulations on your order.
I’m sure it’s easily fixed with a mild 1.5 inch lift and 285s down the road. The sport can still be plenty awesome for some folks needs out there. Hell, it’s already better than 99% of alleged SUVs out there.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I’m sure it’s easily fixed with a mild 1.5 inch lift and 285s down the road. The sport can still be plenty awesome for some folks needs out there. Hell, it’s already better than 99% of alleged SUVs out there.
I totally agree and i am still sticking to the Sport. Planning to do just what you said. now i just need Sting-Gray to open up.

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
I totally agree and i am still sticking to the Sport. Planning to do just what you said. now i just need Sting-Gray to open up.
The beauty of the sport, is that you feel a lot less guilty ripping off stock parts and making it your own. Modifying a Rubicon makes my heart hurt a little. It’s already got parts that cost more than enough and should not be messed with. At least if you value the money you just spent on those Rubicon differences

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The beauty of the sport, is that you feel a lot less guilty ripping off stock parts and making it your own. Modifying a Rubicon makes my heart hurt a little. It’s already got parts that cost more than enough and should not be messed with. At least if you value the money you just spent on those Rubicon differences
The price difference covers a the lockers, disconnect, and transfer case. The rest is gravy. Rip away.

OP
OP
K9Jeeper

K9Jeeper

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 392XR
Nope! I’ve always thought 285s were perfect on the JK, and now that those come stock, I’m more than thrilled. And just checked the box on steel bumpers, so good there too. I see myself investing in one small addition. A 10K Warn winch and mounting plate.
Sponsored