My First Bestop Trektop Twill Install and Review

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Unlimited Rubicon, '22 JLUR 4xe
I purchased my JLUR with only the hard top and have gotten quite proficient at removal/replacement with it. But it's still a PITA. So with the fall season here in Southern AZ, it's perfect for a soft top weather now. 70s-mid 80's, cloudless blue skies and no humidity. At night, it drops into the upper 50's or 60's. Read. the threads on some of the issues with the early JL Trektops but it looks like it's fixed now, so I bought one from Bestop direct, last week. Here's my thoughts....
  • Install says 4 hours but it only took me a little under 2.5. The pieces fit together well and their YouTube video (about 22 min long) combined with the instruction manual makes it pretty simple to figure out how to put it together. Personally, I do wish they had some torque values for some of the pieces as "tighten" isn't very specific.
  • Once installed, I closed everything up and let it sit in the sun for an hour as the rear window had a slight crease it it from packing, but it disappeared once warmed. BTW, compared to the HT, the view out of the rear, with all the windows installed is fantastic. The tinted rear window is like a picture window. Very nice.
  • Installing the canvas, everything is really tight (as it should be), but it takes some pulling to get everything together (even with the sunrider open).
  • There is positively no flapping, flopping to anything. And the noise level is not much more than my factory HT, which also had the Mopar headliner in it as well.
  • The Sunrider kicks a$$! Flip the latches and instant front passenger topless!
  • Also, much less wind buffeting (vs no top at all) when in the Safari mode (rear windows removed and only the top remains). On the highway, I was amazed at how calm the cabin is, compared to the times I've driven w/o the HT.
  • Finally, regarding the small tabs on the side for removing the side windows...I tuck them under the rail, as I don't like them "flapping", but Bestop should add a small square of Velcro on the back so they could be tacked to the side of the side windows.

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

jrohan07

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR GCM 2018 JLUS Firecracker Red
Nice top.
Do you miss the rear cargo area with the slant in back?

stickersteve

First Name
steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Jeff, I am also in Tucson. I just installed their sunrider for hardtop. Was yours a hardtop or softop originally. I put it in on last week while it was still around 90 and could really feel the heat coming through. I dont think I am going to keep mine on in the summer here.

TimmH

First Name
Timm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Sahara 3.6 Auto
Vehicle Showcase
Nice Review.... I've been eyeing the Bestop with the cooler months coming up as well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
AZpueblo

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeff, I am also in Tucson. I just installed their sunrider for hardtop. Was yours a hardtop or softop originally. I put it in on last week while it was still around 90 and could really feel the heat coming through. I dont think I am going to keep mine on in the summer here.
My Rubi came with the hard top. The Mopar headliner does block the heat, but even when we had those 90+ degree days, it wasn’t much different than the freedom panels. To me the Sunrider is the best feature!

OP
OP
AZpueblo

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nice top.
Do you miss the rear cargo area with the slant in back?
I haven’t really noticed that as I will usually drop the back seat down if I need more room. But if I had to, I’d just remove the back window.

OP
OP
AZpueblo

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Overall, I’m really impressed with how well it works and it was just too expensive for the Jeep factory premium top.
Oh, and on the underside of the top, just behind the 2 front latches are 2 large map pockets that are very handy for quick stowage of sunglasses or actual paper maps!
I really like this top and there’s a $100 rebate until Dec.

RUSTYS

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Guitar slinger
I think Bestop just started a new promo that they'll send someone to your house and install it FREE. That's a great offer. So lets say you want to put the hard top back on, what all would be involved?

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
I think Bestop just started a new promo that they'll send someone to your house and install it FREE. That's a great offer. So lets say you want to put the hard top back on, what all would be involved?
That is for the sunrider for HARDTOP. Which is a 5 minutes installation with 6 bolts anyways. Pretty pointless.

Sponsored

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
We all have friends that are terrified of bolts, tools, and breaking something. The home installation option is really for them ;)

If you prefer DIY you can take advantage of our rebates on Sunrider for Hardtop ($50 rebate right now through December 31st), other tops, etc.

- the Bestop Team
www.bestop.com

Bestop

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
The Bestop Team
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU
I purchased my JLUR with only the hard top and have gotten quite proficient at removal/replacement with it. But it's still a PITA. So with the fall season here in Southern AZ, it's perfect for a soft top weather now. 70s-mid 80's, cloudless blue skies and no humidity. At night, it drops into the upper 50's or 60's. Read. the threads on some of the issues with the early JL Trektops but it looks like it's fixed now, so I bought one from Bestop direct, last week. Here's my thoughts....
  • Install says 4 hours but it only took me a little under 2.5. The pieces fit together well and their YouTube video (about 22 min long) combined with the instruction manual makes it pretty simple to figure out how to put it together. Personally, I do with they had some torque values for some of the pieces as "tighten" isn't very specific.
  • Once installed, I closed every up and let it sit in the sun for an hour as the rear window had a slight crease it it from packing, but it disappeared once warmed. BTW, compared to the HT, the view out of the rear, with all the windows installed is fantastic. The tinted rear window is like a picture window. Very nice.
  • Installing the canvas, everything is really tight (as it should be), but it takes some pulling to get everything together (even with the sunrider open).
  • There is positively no flapping, flopping to anything. And the noise level is not much more than my factory HT, which also had the Mopar headliner in it as well.
  • Also, much less wind buffeting (vs no top at all) when in the Safari mode (rear windows removed and only the top remains). On the highway, I was amazed at how calm the cabin is, compared to the times I've driven w/o the HT.
  • Finally, regarding the small tabs on the side for removing the side windows...I tuck them under the rail, as I don't like them "flapping", but Bestop should add a small square of Velcro on the back so they could be tacked to the side of the side windows.

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg
Thanks for sharing your review. I'll make sure that our team gets your feedback about the velco use to stop flapping.

Thanks again!

- the Bestop Team
www.bestop.com

Sleblanc63

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlUR 2.0L
Occupation
RV driver, wife annoyer and grand kid spoiler.
I've had mine for almost a year. Rattles like crazy and the rear "stabilizer" does nada. Over 50mph the rear panel flaps and bounces... sometimes to the music..

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
  • Install says 4 hours but it only took me a little under 2.5. The pieces fit together well and their YouTube video (about 22 min long) combined with the instruction manual makes it pretty simple to figure out how to put it together. Personally, I do wish they had some torque values for some of the pieces as "tighten" isn't very specific.
  • Once installed, I closed everything up and let it sit in the sun for an hour as the rear window had a slight crease it it from packing, but it disappeared once warmed. BTW, compared to the HT, the view out of the rear, with all the windows installed is fantastic. The tinted rear window is like a picture window. Very nice.

IMG_0552.jpeg

IMG_0550.jpeg
Go drive down the highway at 75+ and let us know if the rear window flaps around and the top creaks and moans?

OP
OP
AZpueblo

AZpueblo

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Go drive down the highway at 75+ and let us know if the rear window flaps around and the top creaks and moans?
Already did that. At 80+. Nothing. The rear window is tight and clear. Side windows too. Nothing moves at all and not much different in wind noise than my HT. I'm really happy with this top.

In addition, I drove today with just the safari top (rear window and quarter windows removed) and amazingly, it's pretty calm in the cabin, much more so than having no top at all. The windshield must really create a lot of turbulence that having the roof only blocks. And I tested that on the highway today at 80 mph as well.
Sponsored