Sponsored

My experience with JLU Sport with auto, 3.43 gears, Mopar 2" lift and 33" AT tires

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
That's pretty funny. I was reading the whole thread until I saw that price, just paid 4.25/gal this past weekend going to the beach..
Yeah i hear ya lol. Not fun
Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
...... I did not expect it to be geared such that it can't stay in 8th gear even if you mash on it to try to maintain the current speed.....
Ah, there's your problem. When you mash the throttle, it will downshift to improve acceleration. If you want to hold a gear when more throttle is needed you need to ease into it.

In regards to gearing. Typically speaking higher gears (such as 4.10s in the Rubi) will net worse fuel economy than lower gears. They typically cause the engine to run at higher rpm's which will burn more fuel. The point in gearing higher is generally to improve torque and/or low end acceleration. Vehicles with higher gear ratios tend to get worse fuel economy, especially at highway speeds. That's why they usually put lower gears in light duty vehicles. For example the Ram 1500 used to come with 3.21 gears and averaged around 18 mpg. The same cab and engine configuration could be had in the 2500, which came with 4.10 gears and averaged around 13 mpg. The towing capacity of the 2500 was better, and the "oomph" off the line was better, but you paid for it at the pump. Long story short, higher gears are great for turning heavier tires, and putting power to the ground a lower speeds, but they rarely result in better economy. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen that to be the case. Not that it can't happen, but I wouldn't expect it.

PowerGuy

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS StingGray
It's not just a Jeep thing, you wouldn't like the Tacoma TRD Offroad either. 1.75" lift, 265/70/17, FN wheels, Skids, and rock sliders, MPG went from 21 avg to 17.5 avg while my brothers stock SR5 is avg'ing 23 MPG. It has a six speed tranny and i can't even hold 6th on a small incline. I can only imagine what it would be like if I put 35's on it.

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
The TJ you came from stayed in "OD" because it only had 4 gears. At this point you have no idea what mileage you are getting. Get your speedo calibrated correctly and post back.

-Eli

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport Willys
Vehicle Showcase
That sounds familiar. I'm waiting to see if my JLU Sport arrives in time for our own 900 mile trip back home to PA. I see it as a chance for a good shake down cruise. This is my 4th Jeep so I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles both the long distance drive and then some of the trails I'm familiar with. I'll keep it stock for a while until I'm positive it's not a lemon.

BTW, Butler area (Pittsburgh) is my origin.
For sure, and have a safe trip, I will be heading to the other side Leigh County northeast of Philly.

Sponsored

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
That's pretty funny. I was reading the whole thread until I saw that price, just paid 4.25/gal this past weekend going to the beach..
Ouch!! haven't paid those price since Katrina

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Rubicon, 6 speed manual, Stock configuration trips to Death Valley and over Mojave Road and home, 19.9 average.
Added 3.5 lift, 35" tires, reset tire size with tazer, aftermarket steel bumpers, winch, afe exhaust, K and N filter, custom sliders (100lbs each)
Current mileage points
Flat highway 23
Slight grades 19-20
Baker grade, Grapevine 10-11
Off road, guessing 10 average
( have seen it go between 5 & 18)

Last trip to Death Valley, Mojave Road and Senoran Desert ,(2235 miles)17.9 average.

Trip to Palm Springs ( good climb near Morengo) yesterday with city driving there and then back today 18.5 average on a 340 mile trip. Average freeway speed 72ish. Not using cruise control. ESS disabled.
Lots of variables, but there they are.

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
That sounds familiar. I'm waiting to see if my JLU Sport arrives in time for our own 900 mile trip back home to PA. I see it as a chance for a good shake down cruise. This is my 4th Jeep so I'm looking forward to seeing how it handles both the long distance drive and then some of the trails I'm familiar with. I'll keep it stock for a while until I'm positive it's not a lemon.

BTW, Butler area (Pittsburgh) is my origin.
Do yourself a favor before you set out on a 900 mile trip.
Check every balljoint, bolt and nut under the front end.
Check your tire pressures.
Enjoy the smooth ride experience and the awesome radio. You should get around 23mpg depending on your load and your speed/driving habits.

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
I am using a Tazer Lite to calibrate for the increase in tire size and in turn it has adjusted the shift points of the tranny. Pre Tazer I was averaging 14-15 mpg and the shifting sucked.
I have an appointment to recalibrate the tire size Friday morning. I hope it makes a huge difference but I am not thinking it will.
Removing battery power is an interesting thought though. May try that after this weekend.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
If the rubis are getting around 18mpg and they are heavier, then my sport should get as good or better I would think. It probably would with 3.73 gears. Was that even an option?

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
The TJ you came from stayed in "OD" because it only had 4 gears. At this point you have no idea what mileage you are getting. Get your speedo calibrated correctly and post back.

-Eli
I burnt a whole tank of gas last Saturday. It was in the mid 40 degrees temperature. I checked the milage when I got back and filled it back up. 16.295 mpg per the calculations. The jeep's computer calculated the fuel avg for that tank as 16.3. I was amazed that it was practically the same.

OP
OP

Yoyo27983

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU billet
Ah, there's your problem. When you mash the throttle, it will downshift to improve acceleration. If you want to hold a gear when more throttle is needed you need to ease into it.

In regards to gearing. Typically speaking higher gears (such as 4.10s in the Rubi) will net worse fuel economy than lower gears. They typically cause the engine to run at higher rpm's which will burn more fuel. The point in gearing higher is generally to improve torque and/or low end acceleration. Vehicles with higher gear ratios tend to get worse fuel economy, especially at highway speeds. That's why they usually put lower gears in light duty vehicles. For example the Ram 1500 used to come with 3.21 gears and averaged around 18 mpg. The same cab and engine configuration could be had in the 2500, which came with 4.10 gears and averaged around 13 mpg. The towing capacity of the 2500 was better, and the "oomph" off the line was better, but you paid for it at the pump. Long story short, higher gears are great for turning heavier tires, and putting power to the ground a lower speeds, but they rarely result in better economy. In fact, I don't think I've ever seen that to be the case. Not that it can't happen, but I wouldn't expect it.
Shots, when I used the words "mash on it" I did actually ease the pedal down to see if it could maintain the speed. I didnt mean to imply that I punched it, sorry. When I made the appointment for the recalibration, the girl replied " I am not sure if we can do that" at which I told her it was easily done thru the OBD2 port and she said "oh,ok".

TJEli

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep, truck, car
I burnt a whole tank of gas last Saturday. It was in the mid 40 degrees temperature. I checked the milage when I got back and filled it back up. 16.295 mpg per the calculations. The jeep's computer calculated the fuel avg for that tank as 16.3. I was amazed that it was practically the same.
Right. And it should match. Your computer is still off. You are calculating your mileage based off your odometer which is wrong. You drove more miles than you think you did.

-Eli

George999

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have an appointment to recalibrate the tire size Friday morning. I hope it makes a huge difference but I am not thinking it will.
Removing battery power is an interesting thought though. May try that after this weekend.
If you wouldn't mind sharing, did they provide you a rough estimate for that service?
Sponsored