Sponsored

My ESS has more excuses than my 8 year old

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Oh, for sure! but trying to squeeze a thimble of fuel out of a rolling refrigerator box that is a vehicle used for remote locations is as stupid as it gets :(
You don’t understand, there are fines and penalties that must be paid if it drops below a particular figure, and it will likely get even worse with the current administration.

Every fraction of an MPG, no matter how silly, is how they help avoid the fines.

The next step would be to limit production numbers.
Sponsored

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
You don’t understand, there are fines and penalties that must be paid if it drops below a particular figure, and it will likely get even worse with the current administration.

Every fraction of an MPG, no matter how silly, is how they help avoid the fines.

Let's hope the merged Stellantis brings more econo boxes to the corporate averge mpg

Goosed

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
The carbon footprint left behind with digging for the rare earth minerals that make up these new batteries are worse than the carbon footprint left from idling.

I worked for a company that dug up hydrocarbon based microbes that ate petroleum based materials for oil spills and concrete absorption. The digging they did was worse for the ecosystem than remediating the oil spills.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!

I understand 100%, it's just a crazy application that's all :)

jeepoch

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Wrangler Sport S 3.6L Auto 2 door, 2.5" lift, 35s
Brad,

@COBill is spot on. This is not FCA's or any ICE manufacturers fault. It is just an intermediate (desperate) step to try and stave off the total demise of the ICE powerplant altogether.

Car companies when not meeting the mandated (fleet wide) emissions limits as set by federal regulations, have to pay fines which are essentially a carbon tax. These taxes are then used to subsidize the green EV vehicles to lower their cost to then entice even more people away from ICE.

So it works out that unless FCA (and all other ICE manufacturers), don't implement radical ideas such as ESS, they will be paying fines (taxes) towards their ultimate demise. Exactly the goal of the green regulations.

Pointing out that it's NEVER the corporations that end up paying these fines/taxes, rather this is always passed down to us consumers (ALWAYS). Why do you think these 'refrigerators-on-wheels' cost so damn much. It's not just because of the 'cool' technology.

I fear that if this hatred of ESS becomes so persuasive (where most drivers disable it), the next generation of ICE vehicles won't have any option to defeat it (not even with third-party programmers). The car manufacturers will be forced to implement bullet-proof systems which achieve the objective to both save fuel and lower emissions as much as possible, regardless of whether it is practical. At that point EV vehicles will be then even more, and possibly their most attractive. Even though battery technology will still be far away from even any sort of reasonable miles per charge.

Like it or not, ESS is trying to be our best defense in keeping ICE around long enough to allow the battery feasibility to improve to the point where it can truly compete in the marketplace without us taxpayers subsidizing every EV vehicle produced.

So as much as I too hate ESS because of how it came about, I will be a proponent for what it's trying to accomplish... To keep us with an option in having a premature EV only mandated future. One where we have no choice at all.

Only when a battery (or fuel cell) vehicle can truly perform to the same metrics and all the things that an ICE can do, like drive 350 to 400 miles on a single fill-up and only take minutes to replenish that energy to do it all over again, will I be a willing convert.

[Edit]
Until then I will gladly and willingly (but still begrudgingly) do my part and let ESS do it's thing. Regardless of all the reasons (or excuses) it's trying to be friendly.

Jay

OP
OP
TravisEA

TravisEA

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sahara, 2003 Chevy Z71
Brad,

@COBill is spot on. This is not FCA's or any ICE manufacturers fault. It is just an intermediate (desperate) step to try and stave off the total demise of the ICE powerplant altogether.

Car companies when not meeting the mandated (fleet wide) emissions limits as set by federal regulations, have to pay fines which are essentially a carbon tax. These taxes are then used to subsidize the green EV vehicles to lower their cost to then entice even more people away from ICE.

So it works out that unless FCA (and all other ICE manufacturers), don't implement radical ideas such as ESS, they will be paying fines (taxes) towards their ultimate demise. Exactly the goal of the green regulations.

Pointing out that it's NEVER the corporations that end up paying these fines/taxes, rather this is always passed down to us consumers (ALWAYS). Why do you think these 'refrigerators-on-wheels' cost so damn much. It's not just because of the 'cool' technology.

I fear that if this hatred of ESS becomes so persuasive (where most drivers disable it), the next generation of ICE vehicles won't have any option to defeat it (not even with third-party programmers). The car manufacturers will be forced to implement bullet-proof systems which achieve the objective to both save fuel and lower emissions as much as possible, regardless of whether it is practical. At that point EV vehicles will be then even more, and possibly their most attractive. Even though battery technology will still be far away from even any sort of reasonable miles per charge.

Like it or not, ESS is trying to be our best defense in keeping ICE around long enough to allow the battery feasibility to improve to the point where it can truly compete in the marketplace without us taxpayers subsidizing every EV vehicle produced.

So as much as I too hate ESS because of how it came about, I will be a proponent for what it's trying to accomplish... To keep us with an option in having a premature EV only mandated future. One where we have no choice at all.

Only when a battery (or fuel cell) vehicle can truly perform to the same metrics and all the things that an ICE can do, like drive 350 to 400 miles on a single fill-up and only take minutes to replenish that energy to do it all over again, will I be a willing convert.

[Edit]
Until then I will gladly and willingly (but still begrudgingly) do my part and let ESS do it's thing. Regardless of all the reasons (or excuses) it's trying to be friendly.

Jay
Jay,
This is a way too elegant and thoughtful response to live in my “make fun of my non-functional ESS” thread. Please take you classiness elsewhere or immediately make a redneck joke to stay relevant in this thread.
sincerely,
Travis

p.s.
I’ve given a break to posting more ESS images because the ball is in my court to take it in. Service queues in my area are overwhelmed and they want me to leave it with them for 5 days before they can diagnose....f*ck....
Sponsored