Sponsored

My Engine Bay is Cooking = Share your jeep cooking hacks!

OP
OP
gandk

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
My hack is not hacking up the food I just ate because I had the sense to use a camp stove, and not the noxious environment of an enclosed engine compartment. ;)

1663964494395.png
You know we gotta eat! What do you like to cook when Jeep Camping?
Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Right, probably won't do it too often. Hotdogs on the campfire could be worse..? My exhaust goes out the rear of the jeep.
so are you saying smoked food is bad for you? get out of here.

By the way, they sell small leakproof slow cookers that plug on the 12V outlet.

OP
OP
gandk

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
so are you saying smoked food is bad for you? get out of here.

By the way, they sell small leakproof slow cookers that plug on the 12V outlet.
That 12v cooker would be interesting. I remember seeing some 12v refrigerator that have a warming function too.

Those ribs smoked 6 to 8 hours 😋.

jlrubeinswaz

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
Started this thread to hear your best camping or jeep engine bay cooking hacks. Going camping this weekend and looking for ideas.

Previously a JK buddy cooked hot dogs and chili in foil on his engine. We thought it was genius so on my last camping trip I impressed my buddies by reheating ribs under the hood.

About 2 hrs before arriving I secretly placed the precooked ribs and a can of beans in this aluminum pan. The ribs were wrapped in foil and I poured the beans into a "bowl" made from another sheet of foil. The ribs and beans came out perfect.

The hood closes tight keeping it in place on my 2.0. You might have to try different height pans.

So, what are your jeep camping food hacks?

Greg

20220910_183956.jpg
One might look at these. I have two and they are really handy! 5-7 amp draw and in about 30 to 40 minutes food is hot!!! In fact if you don't turn a burrito about every 20 minutes you will have a Chimichanga.

https://www.amazon.com/RoadPro-RPSC...663969483&sprefix=12+volt+oven,aps,155&sr=8-6

Sponsored

OP
OP
gandk

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
We were camping at Ridgway State Park last summer and a family was cooking thawed, rolled up and foil wrapped frozen pizzas. We didn't see the end result but I want to try it. It was called a pizza roll.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I cook my lunches at work, on my Explorer work car. Fajita Tacos, Burritos, Hamburgers, and whatever I have that can be warmed up, in a few hours of run time. Hey, an inexpensive home cooked meal, vs a cold sandwich or expensive restaurant meal. Much healthier too. I've been doing this for many years.

Ang1Sgt

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys 2 door, 2020 Subaru Outback,
Occupation
Retired X2
Vehicle Showcase
Gosh this brings back some big time memories of being a 2 stripper in the USAF and driving cross country to get home. I used to cook hot dogs and such under the hood while on trips like this. At the first gas stop, i would get the stuff out of the cooler and place it under the hood. I had more than I needed for one meal, so on the next stop I would eat what I wanted, and then place the rest in an area to keep it warm, and not cooking much more. Worked very well on my 71 Mustang Mach 1!

Sponsored

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
Yeah… this thread makes me wonder if anyone has ever had the food spill down inside the engine bay while driving or otherwise. I can just picture a mechanic opening the hood, and then saying something like “hey, why does your engine smell like pancakes?” 😂

XJfanatic

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2020 JT, 1990 Mustang
Build Thread
Link
I used to do hot pockets, burritos and hot dogs on my ol’ XJ. The 4.0l intake manifolds made the perfect holder, nicely placed above the exhaust manifold.

Haven’t cooked anything on the 2.0T or 3.6 yet.

OP
OP
gandk

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
We had a successful trip and breakfast turned out great. We used the jet boil knock off for coffee and the bigger stove for scrambled mix.

20220925_081412.jpg

20220925_081921.jpg

20220925_083003.jpg

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
We used the jet boil knock off for coffee and the bigger stove for scrambled mix.

20220925_081412.jpg
A few years ago, while on a camp stove-buying bender, I purchased the same Jetboil knock-off. It's still NIB in my camping supplies box. Maybe I'll use it next year, during an annual camping rally that I usually attend.

1Evil55

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sport
It's fairly common in the snowmobile world to do this. There's actually a company that makes the "muff-pot" designed to bolt to the exhaust pipe.
Sponsored