Sponsored

My Engine Bay is Cooking = Share your jeep cooking hacks!

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
Started this thread to hear your best camping or jeep engine bay cooking hacks. Going camping this weekend and looking for ideas.

Previously a JK buddy cooked hot dogs and chili in foil on his engine. We thought it was genius so on my last camping trip I impressed my buddies by reheating ribs under the hood.

About 2 hrs before arriving I secretly placed the precooked ribs and a can of beans in this aluminum pan. The ribs were wrapped in foil and I poured the beans into a "bowl" made from another sheet of foil. The ribs and beans came out perfect.

The hood closes tight keeping it in place on my 2.0. You might have to try different height pans.

So, what are your jeep camping food hacks?

Greg

20220910_183956.jpg
Sponsored

cripton805

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport w/ 6sp
I think I would get a small propane burner from Walmart. It's small enough to take anywhere. My bro in law has one.

I think it would go well with a tail gate table.

OP
OP
gandk

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
I think I would get a small propane burner from Walmart. It's small enough to take anywhere. My bro in law has one.

I think it would go well with a tail gate table.
Yes, I have one like this that works with propane or butane.

Screenshot_20220923_151536.jpg

Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
In years past I have given a few cans of beany weenies a ride on the intake manifolds of V-8 engines. IMO they are the best cooking device space wise. Your solution for the inline engine is a good one. The JL engine bay is hot enough to make a first rate convection oven.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
My hack is not hacking up the food I just ate because I had the sense to use a camp stove, and not the noxious environment of an enclosed engine compartment. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL My Engine Bay is Cooking = Share your jeep cooking hacks! 1663964494395

OP
OP
gandk

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
In years past I have given a few cans of beany weenies a ride on the intake manifolds of V-8 engines. IMO they are the best cooking device space wise. Your solution for the inline engine is a good one. The JL engine bay is hot enough to make a first rate convection oven.
It was cool to show up at camp and the food was done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gandk

gandk

First Name
Greg and Kim
Threads
Reaction score
Website
campsite.bio
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
My hack is not hacking up the food I just ate because I had the sense to use a camp stove, and not the noxious environment of an enclosed engine compartment. ;)

Jeep Wrangler JL My Engine Bay is Cooking = Share your jeep cooking hacks! 1663964494395
Right, probably won't do it too often. Hotdogs on the campfire could be worse..? My exhaust goes out the rear of the jeep.

Mudduck

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys 4door

I have the same unit. It fits well in my "adventure" bag.

Sponsored

rohdawg

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 JLUR Anvil / 2021 JLUR Hydro Blue
Occupation
Merchant Marine

Jeep Wrangler JL My Engine Bay is Cooking = Share your jeep cooking hacks! 1663968040660
Pshhhh I used to cook allllllll my food on the exhaust plate of my tank. We all lived and nobody hacked up anything.
We called it the “million dollar microwave”.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Pshhhh I used to cook allllllll my food on the exhaust plate of my tank. We all lived and nobody hacked up anything.
We called it the “million dollar microwave”.
I've cooked well-foiled food on campfire coals, and even once on the head of an air-cooled motorcycle (just to say I did so.) A bit of salt & pepper, a drop or 3 of oil to coat the potatoes, and much Yum commenced.