First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Unlimited Rubicon Diesel
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Website says no need for new drive shaft. I am just curious because I read on some lifts they need a new front shaft. Here is a pic of mine on 2.5”, notice the angle.

D653A546-46CB-41A1-BCE2-2E8D726CE0F1.jpeg
That boot IS GOING TO RIP - sooner than later. When it rips all the grease will rapidly fling out everywhere. Once all the grease is gone it will quickly overheat and then “grenade” which could break all sorts of other shit under your Jeep or even tear a hole in the bottom of the body!

Not to mention when it happens you better have at least the tools and skills required to remove that broken driveshaft on the trail... and then unless your carrying a spare (which I’m certain you’re not since your still on a stock DS) your stuck in 2wd. Better hope you don’t NEED 4wd to get back out of wherever you broke it.

If it were me id be replacing that ASAP before any hard wheeling. It’s wayyyy easier to do NOT on the trail.

JE Reel makes awesome driveshafts, Adams are great too. Can’t go wrong with either.

You measure your Jeep and give them the measurements and they will make a custom one for you which will be much more reliable at those angles and will actually withstand some off-road abuse (unlike the stock unit which will crumble like a tin can on a rock)

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
That boot IS GOING TO RIP - sooner than later. When it rips all the grease will rapidly fling out everywhere. Once all the grease is gone it will quickly overheat and then “grenade” which could break all sorts of other shit under your Jeep or even tear a hole in the bottom of the body!

Not to mention when it happens you better have at least the tools and skills required to remove that broken driveshaft on the trail... and then unless your carrying a spare (which I’m certain you’re not since your still on a stock DS) your stuck in 2wd. Better hope you don’t NEED 4wd to get back out of wherever you broke it.

If it were me id be replacing that ASAP before any hard wheeling. It’s wayyyy easier to do NOT on the trail.

JE Reel makes awesome driveshafts, Adams are great too. Can’t go wrong with either.

You measure your Jeep and give them the measurements and they will make a custom one for you which will be much more reliable at those angles and will actually withstand some off-road abuse (unlike the stock unit which will crumble like a tin can on a rock)
Hey thanks, send me a link. The jeep is not getting wheeled until I get everything done.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Megacab

Thanks. I’ll definitely do it before we do anything crazy. Doesn’t seem to be too expensive of a mod given everything one normally purchases

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Hey thanks, send me a link. The jeep is not getting wheeled until I get everything done.
Just google either JE Reel Driveshafts or Adams driveshafts

Sponsored

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Just google either JE Reel Driveshafts or Adams driveshafts
Man this never ends, maybe I should get a evening job at homedepot to help pay for all the mods.

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Man this never ends, maybe I should get a evening job at homedepot to help pay for all the mods.
You know what Jeep stands for right???

J - Just
E - Empty
E - Every
P - Pocket

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Whoa settle down there Jimmy. Holy crap you make it sound like the world is going to end when that boot rips. I drove around for a year with the boot all ripped up PLUS, since I have no FAD up front anymore, my front driveshaft was always spinning.
Yes, that boot will EVENTUALLY rip, the grease will come out but it does not go "everywhere" and then it will take quite awhile until it starts to give him problems. It's not going to grenade if he still has his FAD in place because with the FAD in place the front axle only rotates when it is in 4H or 4L.
After a year mine finally started to make some clicking noises when I was in Moab a few weeks ago so I knew it was time to replace it and I went with an Adam's one.

Obviously it is a good idea to replace it but you are making it sound way worse than it is. I'm in the same boat as he is with my wife's Jeep on a 3.5" lift. She has the FAD still and she wheels the heck out of that thing, and I am keeping an eye on the boot and when it tears she will be getting a new front shaft. @Robbyreneeward there is no need to put the Jeep up on blocks and not drive it with the stock front shaft. Just understand that you need to keep an eye on the boot because it will EVENTUALLY tear but that may be years from now. You can wheel it with no problems just like 1000s of people already have. The sky is not falling...

40”JLURD

First Name
Ross
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Bad Mother Fucker
Whoa settle down there Jimmy. Holy crap you make it sound like the world is going to end when that boot rips. I drove around for a year with the boot all ripped up PLUS, since I have no FAD up front anymore, my front driveshaft was always spinning.
Yes, that boot will EVENTUALLY rip, the grease will come out but it does not go "everywhere" and then it will take quite awhile until it starts to give him problems. It's not going to grenade if he still has his FAD in place because with the FAD in place the front axle only rotates when it is in 4H or 4L.
After a year mine finally started to make some clicking noises when I was in Moab a few weeks ago so I knew it was time to replace it and I went with an Adam's one.

Obviously it is a good idea to replace it but you are making it sound way worse than it is. I'm in the same boat as he is with my wife's Jeep on a 3.5" lift. She has the FAD still and she wheels the heck out of that thing, and I am keeping an eye on the boot and when it tears she will be getting a new front shaft. @Robbyreneeward there is no need to put the Jeep up on blocks and not drive it with the stock front shaft. Just understand that you need to keep an eye on the boot because it will EVENTUALLY tear but that may be years from now. You can wheel it with no problems just like 1000s of people already have. The sky is not falling...
Yes it can be wheeled. Just like you COULD slap some 44” Super Swampers on there with stock Sport axles and go rock crawling. Would that end well probably not, but could it be fine for a few trips - sure.

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Anything over 2” ~ 2.5” lift exceeds the max angle of the joint and comprises reliability. That’s all I was saying.

And for a less seasoned guy maybe they don’t want to deal with breakage and just want to set the Jeep up right out of the gate.

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Added the oracle switchback DRL lights today. Quick mod. Took all of 5 minutes. If they were all only this quick!!! Like the look a lot. Bumpers will be here next Tuesday. Still waiting on the rest of the stuff from oracle as well.

43054410-CBC9-49A5-B818-F7DEDD683052.jpeg

A7183752-2C3B-43ED-87A7-23A240ACA7B2.jpeg

265695CE-FA5F-4947-BFA1-26E3367DF40E.jpeg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Finally have time to install bumpers and winch. Putting the 14 year old to good use!

385C6EEB-74B3-4758-B55C-D0E739046C34.jpeg

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Front bumper mounted, back bumper mounted, license plate bracket and light on back. And winch has been installed and line spooled and straightened out. Also got the LED bulbs replaced since I had the bumper out.

14297529-45AC-4A55-8D9B-6E66C8F21EC9.jpeg

A8B24EFC-5208-4CC4-8916-9F287D4DC5E5.jpeg

3E37FE12-BB52-41FA-9326-91D0FF019912.jpeg

9CC6B3BF-B9C6-4F1D-BD56-AE3D633646D3.jpeg

0029387D-8AE4-461A-B3F5-570F27751DD4.jpeg

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Seat covers are in. Gonna install this weekend. Waiting on lift, wheels, and tires at the shop.

CAB9C348-1228-4B16-B326-4DE5D7DB9BBB.jpeg

OP
OP
Robbyreneeward

Robbyreneeward

First Name
Robby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got the warn sidewinder in replace of my winch hook.

3D98DF02-021C-4B3F-BAEC-B2EE0335D93D.jpeg

Rangemaster

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon Diesel
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Business Owner
Robby looks good, man this jeep stuff is slow to get and expensive up front.
Sponsored