My displeasure with the Owners Manual

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Maybe it's me, I don't know. I thought I would post here and see if other people think the owners manual was horribly written and organized. Now truth be told, I've read the main manual online in PDF form. Maybe the one in the glove compartment is a lot different or a supplemental.

My biggest issue is the documentation on the instrument panel and console buttons. It seems like I had to dig in the instructions for what the buttons do and how they work. I also think the touchscreen is horribly documented in the owners manual.

After I got off my soapbox....does anybody know what the button is that has a "P" that's shooting radar at a christmas tree?
Sponsored

davewald

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.davewaldrop.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Sort of, kinda retired....mostly
Maybe it's me, I don't know. I thought I would post here and see if other people think the owners manual was horribly written and organized. Now truth be told, I've read the main manual online in PDF form. Maybe the one in the glove compartment is a lot different or a supplemental.

My biggest issue is the documentation on the instrument panel and console buttons. It seems like I had to dig in the instructions for what the buttons do and how they work. I also think the touchscreen is horribly documented in the owners manual.

After I got off my soapbox....does anybody know what the button is that has a "P" that's shooting radar at a christmas tree?
Disables the parking sensors (the round thingys in your bumpers).

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
I'm not aware of any automobile users manual that isn't pure crap and hard to find things in. In particular I've searched online to find information on how to use the uconnect system. I have the barebones system and everything I find seems to be geared to the top of the line system.

Crawldad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 2dr wrangler rubicon, '18 Ram3500
Jeep Wrangler JL My displeasure with the Owners Manual 1616894837729

***since park assist is not on all of our jeeps it's further down in the owner's manual, an optional feature***

Sponsored

wolf

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On my third Rubicon(2dr's 2020, 2015 jetta diesel/2013 mb
Occupation
retired
I have the hard copy sent to me by my request. Itā€™s free. Just terrible to understand. Iā€™m not sure, but may be written and printed in Taiwan. It is pretty thick and hard to follow.

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
is that different than the one that came in the glove box?

my issue isn't so much that it's laid out poorly, it's that it's full of conflicting information.
for example, there are several places detailing that Diesel Fule must meet a certain American standard, then another one saying it had to meet a stricter European standard.
trying to get clarification on this from Jeepcares was useless.

I have the hard copy sent to me by my request. Itā€™s free. Just terrible to understand. Iā€™m not sure, but may be written and printed in Taiwan. It is pretty thick and hard to follow.

Jeep4Win

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLR
Iā€™m just glad I got a hard copy when I accepted delivery of my JLR. It is now one of my favorite ā€œthickā€ reads alongside Moby Dick and Watchmen...

OP
OP

nU7OuxIx

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, YJ, Impreza
Thanks all for the responses and letting me know what the parksense button is for. :)

I guess it would had been tons more useful to have a console overview in the "Getting to know your instrument panel" section that calls out specific areas and locations of buttons and features. You have the dashboard gauges, put something after that for the buttons with a page number for more information.

I'll have to dig more through the radio to find this search button. For me though, I usually don't sit in the car to just sit or explore, I am usually just there to drive. Typically I'll go through the manual first and then get an overview that way.

Maybe I'm just old and need to get with the latest trends.

Sponsored

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I have a hard copy of the ownerā€™s manual but Iā€™ve also downloaded the digital copy. No complaints from me on the writing or organization of the manual itself. Itā€™s easy to find things when needed and the language isnā€™t as dry as some other manuals.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The hard copy that comes in the glovebox is the "User's Guide".

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
The hard copy that comes in the glovebox is the "User's Guide".
In the past I searched the internet and found "2018 Wrangler Owner's Manual" (B&W, 616 pages), I'm guessing this is the one that would be provided if you bought the vehicle new. I bought mine used and didn't get anything. I also found "2018 Jeep Wrangler User Guide" (color, 344 pages), and "2018 Jeep Wrangler Quick Reference Guide" (color, 24 pages).

For my purposes none of them explained how to use the base radio system. There aren't any other intricacies that I've been interested in although there has been discussion recently about changing settings so you could see the current gear in the instrument panel, I would be interested in this. Also I've considered experimenting with manual mode of the auto transmission while on the road to see if I could hold it in 8th gear more than it wants to be.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
In the past I searched the internet and found "2018 Wrangler Owner's Manual" (B&W, 616 pages), I'm guessing this is the one that would be provided if you bought the vehicle new. I bought mine used and didn't get anything. I also found "2018 Jeep Wrangler User Guide" (color, 344 pages), and "2018 Jeep Wrangler Quick Reference Guide" (color, 24 pages).

For my purposes none of them explained how to use the base radio system. There aren't any other intricacies that I've been interested in although there has been discussion recently about changing settings so you could see the current gear in the instrument panel, I would be interested in this. Also I've considered experimenting with manual mode of the auto transmission while on the road to see if I could hold it in 8th gear more than it wants to be.
You have to specifically request the Owner's Manual to get a hard copy, and you usually get a 2018 JK owner's manual even then. They tried to save paper, I guess.

JackA

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon; Nacho
Vehicle Showcase
We got a 464 page; 2021 Owner's Manual and a green bag for it when we took delivery of our 2021 JL Rubicon. I like the PDF version because you can search it. This is my first FCA vehicle and do not find the manual much different from GM's. Because they cover every option available there is a lot of information that does not apply to your specific vehicle which makes reading somewhat difficult.
Sponsored