2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I wouldn't take your Jeep to this dealership for any type of service, warranty or otherwise, ever again. Even a halfwit using the professional tools they have in their service departments should be able to install this kit in a couple hours.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
A month ago I called a jeep dealer and made the soonest apt they could to install my 2 inch mopar lift that I bought else where. They said and agreed that it will be no more than $620 OTD for the labor,

So the dealer an hour+ away from me, I get there 20 mins (8:10am) before my apt time and it took them an hour for me to talk to a service advisor and drop it off, I get back before they close and they tell me they can't break the bolts lose, that they are half way done and they need their master mechanic who's coming in tomorrow to do it.

So they send enterprise to pick me up and say that they'll knock off what I paid for the rental car off the price I'm paying for the install and they'll call me today to give me an update and it should be ready today.

Okay fine no big deal right

just called me a few mins ago and said that I don't have the " basic mopar lift " that I have the full extensive mopar lift kit, it has control arms and thats a 10-12 hour job, says regular price is $2400 (labor only) but he'll meet me half way and charge me $1200. Lol wtf from mopar it says 2-3 hours to install, I told him give me the part # of the basic mopar lift kit, there's so such thing, he stats that it's not online nor on the brochure lol

I sent him the link and part # of my lift kit and it does says install to time 2-3 hours and there's no control arms ( Edit: My bad there is front control arms). I told him whatever you just told me to email it to me.

The 2 inch Mopar lift in question

https://store.mopar.com/oem-parts/mopar-two-inch-lift-kit-four-door-3-6l-engine-77072395ae

Screenshot_20220118-105929_Messages.jpg

He texted me back this

" I talked to the manager and after doing some research it still takes over 6 hours plus the alignment. Since mopar is advertising the estimated time of 2-3 hours we will ignore the actual book hours and take care of it. I will give you a call when its ready by the end of the day "
There are not too many Jeep dealers in SoCal that are not a bunch of fuck balls.
Having said that, the dealer in San Clemente was far ahead of the others in when it came to the service department. I used them several times and they were always very professional and offered a fair rate.

OP
OP
Jeepsmashin

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@Jeepsmashin

How did it turn out?
I should be picking it up today, I'll keep this thread updated.

I texted the service advisor " Could you confirm with your tech

#1 Make sure you check and see if they installed the coil springs on the right side. Cross reference the Mopar instructions and the tags (red and blue) on the coils to make sure

#2 Make sure the coil springs are all seated correctly. The spring should be all the way flush with the seat and non cock-eyed.

#3 adjust headlights to new height

#4 center steering wheel, no need for an alignment because the lift doesn't change it "

I'm hoping everything turns out fine, they quoted me $620 initially over the phone when I made the appointment. I've had the rental car for 2 days already and it's coming out my pocket and he said they'll discount the labor to make up for it. I also hope they don't try to BS me when I get there and raise the price.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I should be picking it up today, I'll keep this thread updated.

I texted the service advisor " Could you confirm with your tech

#1 Make sure you check and see if they installed the coil springs on the right side. Cross reference the Mopar instructions and the tags (red and blue) on the coils to make sure

#2 Make sure the coil springs are all seated correctly. The spring should be all the way flush with the seat and non cock-eyed.

#3 adjust headlights to new height

#4 center steering wheel, no need for an alignment because the lift doesn't change it "

I'm hoping everything turns out fine, they quoted me $620 initially over the phone when I made the appointment. I've had the rental car for 2 days already and it's coming out my pocket and he said they'll discount the labor to make up for it. I also hope they don't try to BS me when I get there and raise the price.
Hey man, I’m not familiar with the lifetime warranty you mentioned. I’m not saying you’re gonna have these problems with yours, but if you get over 3 inches or more of lift and your axle is shifted so you need adjustable track bar, and your caster is to low because the Mopar’s lcas are only effective up to 2”, so you need adjustables and your springs are bowed so you want to get the RK correction pads, are you just shit outta luck, because any or all these things, which are upgrades, will void your warranty because Mopar doesn’t offer these items ?

I’d be curious to hear their answer to this question ………

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepsmashin

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hey man, I’m not familiar with the lifetime warranty you mentioned. I’m not saying you’re gonna have these problems with yours, but if you get over 3 inches or more of lift and your axle is shifted so you need adjustable track bar, and your caster is to low because the Mopar’s lcas are only effective up to 2”, so you need adjustables and your springs are bowed so you want to get the RK correction pads, are you just shit outta luck, because any or all these things, which are upgrades, will void your warranty because Mopar doesn’t offer these items ?

I’d be curious to hear their answer to this question ………
My thinking was people who get more than 2.5 inches from the mopar lift their jeeps are too light I'm guessing, I have motobilt steel bumpers, rock rails, heavy duty tire carrier with a 35 inch tire so I think I'd get 2+ inches lift. This is just my assumption, right now on stock suspension I feel like when my JLUR sits slightly lower than stock because of the added weight. I'll have to see what happens after the lift is installed

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Once I take a vehicle off the dealer's lot, it never goes back except for recalls and warranty work. This example is part of the reason why.
Wait. Wait. you don't take it back for the "free" oil changes? :)

blessidsoul12

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 billet silver JLUR, 2019 chevy suburban
Wow what a crock!
Sorry about all this hopefully it all works out, you pay basically nothing for labor in the end and you get your working jeep back.
My recent experience i posted about went ok.
They ended up quoting me straight from the mopar lift published 3hrs for labor. Discounted me for having purchased the lift through their parts dept, so i paid $225 total for labor. And install seems to actually have been correct.
Your dealer service dept sounds like the worst, and pretty shady.

DHW

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon
Occupation
Attorney
The “unable to break the bolts loose, need a master tech” has got to be the most comical thing I’ve ever read. How could you even say that to a customer with a straight face? We have “mechanics” that can’t even loosen bolts working here?
I firmly and legitimately believe they hire "mechanics" who don't know how to do anything past changing oil. When I had my Hellcat Charger in for warranty work on the transmission, they always told me there was only one guy who could work on it. And that asshole was gone half the time, which is likely why it was in the shop for three months.

Last edited:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
My thinking was people who get more than 2.5 inches from the mopar lift their jeeps are too light I'm guessing, I have motobilt steel bumpers, rock rails, heavy duty tire carrier with a 35 inch tire so I think I'd get 2+ inches lift. This is just my assumption, right now on stock suspension I feel like when my JLUR sits slightly lower than stock because of the added weight. I'll have to see what happens after the lift is installed
Your caster should be fine, I have same lift and mine is at like 5.5° IIRC.
Definitely going to need track bars as your axles will shift to the side a bit. In saying that, a lot of people are running without them.

Sponsored

Chile1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2016 BMW X5M
Occupation
Biotech Sales Management
Vehicle Showcase
i got the same runaround from my local dealer that's why i purchased the kit myself and then had an independent mechanic install mine. He charged me $420 + $80 alignment.

Jeep Wrangler JL My dilemma im having with the service dept installing my mopar lift 1642601819689

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, copy that…… back in 2018 I put the Mopar on my rig, equally as heavy as yours, and I got 3.5”. Was one if not the first one to fix my lift with parts listed above. When RK released their kit for the JL it was about 8-9 months later, and it only settled 1/2” . Word spread in this small town now I’ve installed almost 20 in the past 3 years, none of them, gave advertised 2” of lift……That was then this is now, lol…. best of luck bro , hope it’s tits.

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Yeah, copy that…… back in 2018 I put the Mopar on my rig, equally as heavy as yours, and I got 3.5”. Was one if not the first one to fix my lift with parts listed above. When RK released their kit for the JL it was about 8-9 months later, and it only settled 1/2” . Word spread in this small town now I’ve installed almost 20 in the past 3 years, none of them, gave advertised 2” of lift……That was then this is now, lol…. best of luck bro , hope it’s tits.
Even the newest kits still give a lot. I didn't measure but it was more than 2" for sure.
OP, I ended up installing a new steering stabilizer (with @Roky help from afar, lol) because I was getting a little shimmy after hitting bumps in road. As far as I am concerned, that would eventually lead to death wobble so the stabilizer was a good purchase. Shimmy is completely gone and rig rides awesome.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Wait. Wait. you don't take it back for the "free" oil changes? :)
Man as a new Jeep owner who's as cheap and lazy as they come, this is my battle, lol.

Sure, I *can* change the oil myself - I've done them thousands of times on my old vehicles. But these ones are FREE, and someone else does the work.

But do I trust that someone else?

GAH!