Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Sounds like your mileage has improved to "normal" levels. Hopefully it has stayed that way. I would say I was disappointed in our diesel mileage at first, too, maybe mid-20s. Now though, with the mods, towing, and type of driving we do, I am very impressed. The accessory penalty we all pay in the mpg hit when modifying is cut WAY down with the diesel.

My 2021 Rubicon on beadlocked 37s, 2.5" lift, winch, stubby bumper, etc. is typically around 22-24 mpg for very mixed driving. Up and down mountain passes, freeways at upper 70s, mountain roads and trails, hauling our ~2800lb camper and ~3800lb sailboat up and down the mountains, and launching the boat (lots of idling).

Zman1403

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
Since I only took possession of our Rubicon yesterday I don’t want to comment. The Range and MPG on the dash are completely wrong. I will reset both. I will track the mileage by fuel purchase and mileage driven. The JL is a 2020 with only 2,696 miles on it. So I know there is a break-in period. Dash showing 16.9 MPG and a 324 mile range from full.

OP
OP

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
SoCal below Idyllwild mountains S.W. side.
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubican
Occupation
Self Sufficient
Since I only took possession of our Rubicon yesterday I don’t want to comment. The Range and MPG on the dash are completely wrong. I will reset both. I will track the mileage by fuel purchase and mileage driven. The JL is a 2020 with only 2,696 miles on it. So I know there is a break-in period. Dash showing 16.9 MPG and a 324 mile range from full.
Sounds familiar. I love my jeep but I hate the mileage because it is not even close to what is promised.

Sponsored

Ruby Mike

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jeep wrangler diesel
Sounds familiar. I love my jeep but I hate the mileage because it is not even close to what is promised.
I am not sure what you expected for milage. I have over 22k on the jeep, running 35 inch MT, lifted with complete underarmor and I go from sea level to over 6,000 feet daily. I average between 24 and 27 mpg. With stock tires I was getting closer to 28. The first reading for milage on the dashboard was way off. As I broke in the engine, the mileage improved. I really don't use the indicator but rely on miles driven and gallons used. My speedo was recalibrated for the tire size. I like my jeep.

OP
OP

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Sufficient
I am not sure what you expected for milage. I have over 22k on the jeep, running 35 inch MT, lifted with complete underarmor and I go from sea level to over 6,000 feet daily. I average between 24 and 27 mpg. With stock tires I was getting closer to 28. The first reading for milage on the dashboard was way off. As I broke in the engine, the mileage improved. I really don't use the indicator but rely on miles driven and gallons used. My speedo was recalibrated for the tire size. I like my jeep.
I like my Jeep too. Mine averages 21-22 on stock factory tires. I pretty much baby the pedal too, so as far as advertised diesel mileage, it really sucks.

Last edited:

Zman1403

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I will throw my 2 cents in. I am now on my second career. I drive a big truck. Freightliner Cascadia. I average between 8.7 and 9.2 MPG. Many factors contribute. Heavy Traffic, Idling in winter to stay warm and in summer to stay cool, wind, roadway grade, weight, rolling resistance of your tires, Anyone driving at 70 MPH can do a quick test. Try reducing your speed 5 MPH between fill ups. Your MPG will go up. I bought the Rubicon for engine longevity. My tractor has just under 700,000 miles on it and is is still going strong. Do scheduled maintenance. You can also do an oil sample every 25,000 miles. The Jeep is not too aero dynamic. It is like a box. When you add lights and other things outside you are causing wind resistance. Like someone said earlier if you bought the Eco Diesel Solely for fuel economy than you won’t be happy.

OP
OP

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Sufficient
I will throw my 2 cents in. I am now on my second career. I drive a big truck. Freightliner Cascadia. I average between 8.7 and 9.2 MPG. Many factors contribute. Heavy Traffic, Idling in winter to stay warm and in summer to stay cool, wind, roadway grade, weight, rolling resistance of your tires, Anyone driving at 70 MPH can do a quick test. Try reducing your speed 5 MPH between fill ups. Your MPG will go up. I bought the Rubicon for engine longevity. My tractor has just under 700,000 miles on it and is is still going strong. Do scheduled maintenance. You can also do an oil sample every 25,000 miles. The Jeep is not too aero dynamic. It is like a box. When you add lights and other things outside you are causing wind resistance. Like someone said earlier if you bought the Eco Diesel Solely for fuel economy than you won’t be happy.
Thank you for your reply, and you have wisdom in what you say. The pedal most certainly makes a difference. As I stated above, I pretty much baby my pedal. My issue is with the "advertised" and "stated" mileage claims vs real world. Hwy is supposed to be, and this taken from the Jeep site: 22 City – 29 Highway – 25 Combined. I locked my cruise control on at 56mph on a clear freeway with very few slows or stops. The freeway had some mild ups and downs. I averaged 24.5 on this trip using 3/4 of a tank. I would have not had a problem with 28 or even 27...but 24.5?
I didn't buy this vehicle for the mileage. My wife has a Prius Prime for that because it averages 119 mpg between gas and electric. But...I do expect at least close to the promise that a manufacturer states.
All that aside, I too have had diesels, including my Snap On Tool truck with a Cat 3126B that I sold with 700,000 and had only 1 minor problem. With the 4 Duramax pickups, the first had the LLY, then a 2 LMLs and lastly an LB2. I love the diesels and the longevity of them as well. If my Jeep gets the longevity of a Cat or even a Duramax, I will forgive the mileage lapses.
I bought Jeep for the torque and hp mix, and it is amazing in both of these areas!
Safe trucking brother.

Ken Ztopolovky

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr stingray stick
If I baby my 3.0D, on the Highway I average less than 23.9 and around town around 18: Stock 33" diameter tires too with 3.73 gears. One of the reasons I traded my 2.0 turbo Wrangler was I thought the mileage would be way better than the 2.0 average I was getting. I do not have a heavy foot either; at 4500 miles I'm still holding out hope for the 10K break-in. As much as I love the Diesel in every other way (except for the price of the oil filter), if I had it to do over again, I would still be in my 2.0...and I really hate to be saying that. One of my selling points to my wife of trading in a 1 year old Wrangler was that the mileage was going to be so much better. I have been honest with her and cross my fingers about the possibility of the break-in boost in MPG. How is everyone else's mileage going? Do you think there is something wrong with mine?
I wonder how much you lost on the trade and how many gallons of fuel that would buy

Sponsored

OP
OP

LeodaJeep

First Name
Leo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Self Sufficient
I wonder how much you lost on the trade and how many gallons of fuel that would buy
I only lost $2500 on the trade in as we are having a used car shortage & the new Jeeps went up too. I paid 5500 more for the JLUD over the 2.0 JL 2 dr. The fuel savings would take maybe 10 years to make up so I hope to make it up in engine longevity. The torque & hp satisfaction can’t be quantified because in that area the difference is like a different planet. I really do love my diesel even though I’m whining about the mileage.

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
I just did 2000 miles round trip to Moab and back, with about 150 miles off road JLURD, 37" toyo RTs, 3.5" metalcloak gamechanger, roof rack, steel stubby bumper, winch, just about everything I can do to reduce economy and 70-80mph speeds, and I averaged 24 mpg for the whole trip. something seems off

stock mine was getting 28-29 highway and 22 around town, now I'm 23ish highway and 18 around town
Sponsored