Sponsored

My defroster cracked my windshield

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
There is always the chance you got hit below the wiper and was waiting on heat to spread. Is exact same crack I have but I remember getting a ping low on the window.
Be willing to bet a steak dinner there was an unseen chip or hit and the heat caused it to spread. Happened way too many times to me with various vehicles.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Mastergmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Good show me the point of impact from the exterior. You won’t find it. Let’s also ignore the similar experiences from multiple other owners while accusing the person complaining of being a liar.
It was purely in jest.

During COVID, when the one interstate we have in LI was basically ignored for 3 years, I replaced no less than 6 windshields on the Toyota FJ daily driver! All out of pocket! My glass guy truly felt sorry for me and began to discount a few of them! I'm so paranoid about the windshield now, I purchased the 3 layer windshield protective film from Racing Optics before I even got the plates for the JLU.

Deathmatrix

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I have pretty much the same crack. Had some freezing rain, was running the defroster on high, backed out of the driveway and heard it crack.
Jeep Wrangler JL My defroster cracked my windshield 3E471A1D-AF0B-4081-9392-C6F279D22D44

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
My stupid insurance has no separate windshield coverage and uses comprehensive policy. To go from my $500 deductible to no deductible costs me $220/year
Oem glass is $790 to replace. Gorilla glass is $1000. Insurance approved the upgrade and and upgraded my comp coverage to no deductible. So for future broken windshields I’ll get free gorilla glass

Last edited:

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
I gotta disagree, ordinary use of your defroster should never cause the windshield to crack. Huge safety concern here. Now pouring hot water on it sure. But not what the damn thing is designed to do
A gradual heating up of the windshield via defrost or any other method for that matter should never cause it to crack otherwise, we would all be driving around with cracked windshields.

Sponsored

imperial4ever

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0 Moss Green
A gradual heating up of the windshield via defrost or any other method for that matter should never cause it to crack otherwise, we would all be driving around with cracked windshields.
And what about those "Electra-Clear" windshields with the defroster lines embedded in them? I think they may be susceptible to cracking more.

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Well glass shop said it’s about $700 for oem replacement. Since my deductible is $500 the glass shop got approval for an upgrade to gorilla glass. I still only pay my $500 deductible insurance approved the upgrade and will cover the cost.. $1200 to install gorilla glass.. sheesh. Atleast they had it in stock. Upgrading to no deductible for future cracks for $220/year is a no brainer, plus I get no deductible for other comprehensive claims

Last edited:

Sponsored

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

FWIW, I am 100% against extended warranties - never buy em for anything....that said with my latest JLUR XR purchase I did buy the 5 year glass one for $500. First time ever. No deductible and OEM glass via Safelite. My insurance deductible is $250, so my gamble was I would go through 3 of em in 5 years.

Only time will tell, but since my first one was demolished at 15,000 miles I feel like it wasn't too bad of a bet.

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
I ended up with a 6 year windshield warranty for OEM replacements when I bought the Jeep. Having had 2 cracked windshields in 5 years on the Renegade and a $500 deductible, I thought it was worth it this time around. With any luck I plan on having the Wrangler longer than 5 years.

Fortunately, I've got a soft top, so I don't have to worry about the defrost cracking the rear window... :)

mini4mw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep 392
Couldn't you just turn down the heat a little so it's not blasting such a temp difference? If Jeep does take any responsibility one of two things will happen:
1) warning in user manual not to use high heat on frozen windshield
2) when defrost is on, it won't be that hot. Similar to how the steering wheel doesn't get too hot anymore

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
So in the hour I waited for my windshield repair all the following is true:

1. glass guy said it’s more likely it was already a tiny chip that with the temp differences flexed it and caused it to crack

2. 2 other wranglers and a gladiator all came in for windshield repair

3. 4 Honda accords came in for windshield repair

4. glass guy says days like this where it’s cold in the morning after a freeze warning issued are busy days for my exact issue.
5. given my insurance premium went up $220/year and I paid a $500 deductible, if I replace a windshield once every 2 years I’d be ahead of breaking even. Any more often than that, I’m way ahead.

5. lastly, paying $500 to upgrade to gorilla glass ($295 option when building a Jeep online) doesn’t seem like I made out too badly at all today

unknownsolo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Wrangler Rubicon 4XE
An aftermarket windshield is about $250. You should budget at least one per year in a Wrangler anyway since they like to collect rocks (not defrosters).
Jeep Wrangler JL My defroster cracked my windshield skynews-drew-scanlon-blinking-white-guy_4786055

Since when? Where? Mine just cracked and they want almost $1600 to replace, and re-calibrate the adaptive cruise control unit. Luckily my comprehensive is $100 but I don't want to go through insurance.
Sponsored