Sponsored

My defroster cracked my windshield

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Low 30’s this morning, turned my defroster on high and let the car idle before leaving for work. Got back in my car and was surprised by a giant crack.

Didn’t think this would happen to me.

Ugh

@JeepCares does your warranty department want to take responsibility here or should I pound sand?

Obviously a design flaw

A50EB75F-FEC2-4419-B90A-C2879BE2B5EF.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
Same thing happened to me, with the same crack pattern as yours...been living with it for 2 years, figured I'd replace it when a bigger crack happens.

Also let's talk about that steering wheel...

manapiko

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Obviously a design flaw

Eh, I'm not sure you can call that a design flaw. Adding high heat to cold glass can cause this. At least I know it happens on more than just Jeeps.

I will say, however, it would be awesome if Jeep covered the repair. Since it's essentially just you using the vehicle in the most normal of ways and damaged happened.

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
I wonder what the problem was/is? I've used mine frequently in lousy cold, freezing, snow, ice, etc. & no issues. I do however have the spacer blocks in my defroster vent opening spreading the hot air evenly across the wind shield. Never mind, that's prolly the flaw you are talking about :)

defrost vents.jpg

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
Eh, I'm not sure you can call that a design flaw. Adding high heat to cold glass can cause this. At least I know it happens on more than just Jeeps.

I will say, however, it would be awesome if Jeep covered the repair. Since it's essentially just you using the vehicle in the most normal of ways and damaged happened.
I gotta disagree, ordinary use of your defroster should never cause the windshield to crack. Huge safety concern here. Now pouring hot water on it sure. But not what the damn thing is designed to do

Sponsored

Mastergmac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
No way to confirm that the defroster was the actual culprit in this case. He could of pounded it with a fist or an errant rock or chip on the edges of the glass. Go pound sand, warranty claim denied!

:devil:

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
There is always the chance you got hit below the wiper and was waiting on heat to spread. Is exact same crack I have but I remember getting a ping low on the window.
No way to confirm that the defroster was the actual culprit in this case. He could of pounded it with a fist or an errant rock or chip on the edges of the glass. Go pound sand, warranty claim denied!

:devil:

Good show me the point of impact from the exterior. You won’t find it. Let’s also ignore the similar experiences from multiple other owners while accusing the person complaining of being a liar.

Deleted member 59498

Good show me the point of impact from the exterior. You won’t find it. Let’s also ignore the similar experiences from multiple other owners while accusing the person complaining of being a liar.
May not show an impact. Doesn't take a fist size rock to make an internal crack.

Take it to the dealer, good luck with it.

Sponsored

Childredb123

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon Unlimited 2021
Low 30’s this morning, turned my defroster on high and let the car idle before leaving for work. Got back in my car and was surprised by a giant crack.

Didn’t think this would happen to me.

Ugh

@JeepCares does your warranty department want to take responsibility here or should I pound sand?

Obviously a design flaw

Jeep Wrangler JL My defroster cracked my windshield defrost vents

View attachment 721122
I had similar issue and didn’t get anywhere with it because it’s a windshield. If I were you I’d give it a shot but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

OP
OP
Caliguy

Caliguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLU
I had similar issue and didn’t get anywhere with it because it’s a windshield. If I were you I’d give it a shot but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
I will have to, the vehicle has just barely over 10k miles on it. Maybe I’ll cancel my extended warranty and use that to buy a new windshield

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
The defroster didn't cause the crack. All it takes is a very small chip that you probably couldn't see. Add that to the freezing cold glass on the outside and the hot air blowing from the inside caused that spot to flex and then crack. It's very common on any vehicle. It's not the manufacturer or the dealerships, or anyones fault. Just an unfortunate thing that happened.

Rocket_Matt

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon JLU
There is always the chance you got hit below the wiper and was waiting on heat to spread. Is exact same crack I have but I remember getting a ping low on the window.
I can practically guarantee this is what happened.
Sponsored