Sponsored

My dealer won’t flash my 2018 Wrangler PCM

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Correct. But if a dealership is doing any type of maintenance then they typically perform all of the control system updates as a matter of course.

Again... the worst case is that you get a better steering box.
@MCJA

I don't think "typically perform all of the control system updates as a matter of course." as you state..

I've been lucky enough if you want to call it that, to have been present/ witnessed Techs in action so to speak at a couple of Jeep dealerships on numerous occasions... and not just with my JL... with it's Vin#.

What seems typical is the dealership Tech hooks up the JL to the wiTECH 2 and the wiTECH 2, based on the VIN, prompts the Tech to do/perform specific, recommended updates in regard to that Vin.. AND, it is not any and all updates for that model, year, etc..

Very often if the Tech, attempts to have a specific update applied to a specific Vin, the request will be denied or it will be ok'd... but with the Tech also being forced to do, lets call it, a companion update.. multiple updates.

With that said, the Tech cannot and does not willy nilly and without direction from FCA's end / wiTECH 2 do, "all control system updates / updates, as a matter of course.. FCA has lots of say what is or is not done..

MCJA

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon EcoDiesel
@MCJA

I don't think "typically perform all of the control system updates as a matter of course." as you state..

I've been lucky enoough if you want to call it that, to have been present/ witnessed Techs in action so to speak at a couple of Jeep dealerships... and not just with my JL... with it's Vin#.

What seems typical is the dealership Tech hooks up the JL to the wiTECH 2 and the wiTECH 2, based on the VIN, prompts the Tech to do/perform specific, recommended updates in regard to that Vin.. AND, it is not any and all updates for that model, year, etc..

Very often if the Tech, attempts to have a specific update applied to Vin, the request will be denied or will be ok'd but with the Tech being forced to do lets call it a companion update..

With that said, the Tech cannot and does not willy nilly and without direction from FCA's end / wiTECH 2 do "all control system updates as a matter of course..
Better stated than I said it. Sorry I'm not an expert on the ins and outs of service department operations. Just thought it was worth a shot for the OP.

OP, good luck finding help. Most folks here prefer to criticize than to offer recommendations for solutions. :like:

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Better stated than I said it. Sorry I'm not an expert on the ins and outs of service department operations. Just thought it was worth a shot for the OP.

OP, good luck finding help. Most folks here prefer to criticize than to offer recommendations for solutions. :like:
@MCJA
@Fitzz47

What an owner needs to do to get a specific update done, is to give the Service Writer and the Tech, bullets so to speak, for their gun....

Vehicle owner needs to use the magic words lets say... The vehicle Owner, states to the Service Writer who documents for the dealership and for FCA, specific symptoms/problems that are listed/addressed in the actual TSB he wants performed on his vehicle...

Owner states these specific symptoms , they are documented and now the Tech has the bullets necessary to get the wiTECH II / FCA to allow him to do the update in question.

In this case, for TSB 18-092-19, the owner adamantly stating there is Excessive blower fan noise when the A/C is on MAX output and also that there is Intermittent rough idle or idle surging, when coming to a stop (Automatic transmission equipped vehicles only) is all that needs to be told to the Service Writer, along with the request that TSB 18-092-19 be completed. Tech does not have to witness the symptoms .. Owner just has to adamantly state his/her JL, has the issues/symptoms and they are causing issues for him/her.. Owner should not bother mentioning the 2018 JL related battery issue, as it is not listed in this TSB..

IF the dealer does not do the update after these symptoms are told to the Service Writer and relayed to the Tech, then the owner should immediately call the Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 and ask the rep that answers to open a case.. to help... to provide assistance. At that point, FCA... the rep will work for the owner to get that update done.... and they will....

In regard to this specific TSB... it is covered under the power train warranty and even of your 36,000 / 3 yr. warranty is no more, the update is still covered under the longer power train warranty.

Mike921921

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep
It's all about the Dealer being able to be reimbursed by FCA for the warranty work. If it's not a slam-dunk case - they'll look to you for payment.

Sponsored

Yogi

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
GM, P.Log, CITT, 310T
@Rhinebeck01 is absolutely correct. You have to "hand" the service writer a loaded gun so-to-speak.
That's exactly how I got my new steering damper, track bar, steering box, and hinges serviced/painted.
Give them something to fight with and a good dealer will go to the wall for you.
You will have to give them time to get justice for you though :)

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
I had the PCM update done today... no pre-existing conditions, no warranty work, no cost. When they were done, the service advisor explained it wasn't standard procedure, but they completed the update based on my good standing with them.

Of course everyone has different dealer experiences, but it doesn't hurt to ask... the worst that can happen is being told 'no.'

Or just get some warranty work done.

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
@MCJA
@Fitzz47

What an owner needs to do to get a specific update done, is to give the Service Writer and the Tech, bullets so to speak, for their gun....

Vehicle owner needs to use the magic words lets say... The vehicle Owner, states to the Service Writer who documents for the dealership and for FCA, specific symptoms/problems that are listed/addressed in the actual TSB he wants performed on his vehicle...

Owner states these specific symptoms , they are documented and now the Tech has the bullets necessary to get the wiTECH II / FCA to allow him to do the update in question.

In this case, for TSB 18-092-19, the owner adamantly stating there is Excessive blower fan noise when the A/C is on MAX output and also that there is Intermittent rough idle or idle surging, when coming to a stop (Automatic transmission equipped vehicles only) is all that needs to be told to the Service Writer, along with the request that TSB 18-092-19 be completed. Tech does not have to witness the symptoms .. Owner just has to adamantly state his/her JL, has the issues/symptoms and they are causing issues for him/her.. Owner should not bother mentioning the 2018 JL related battery issue, as it is not listed in this TSB..

IF the dealer does not do the update after these symptoms are told to the Service Writer and relayed to the Tech, then the owner should immediately call the Dedicated Jeep Customer Care: Ph. 1-866-362-2146 and ask the rep that answers to open a case.. to help... to provide assistance. At that point, FCA... the rep will work for the owner to get that update done.... and they will....

In regard to this specific TSB... it is covered under the power train warranty and even of your 36,000 / 3 yr. warranty is no more, the update is still covered under the longer power train warranty.
I just went through a dead battery / no jump situation. Dealer replaced both batteries, but that's all. I asked about the flash and was told they could not do it. Reading the above, I do not feel comfortable providing symptoms that don't exist. And, at 0.3 hours of tech time to perform a flash update, I don't really care about paying for it even though I'm under 3 years and only at 23k miles. I use this thing for overlanding ... and the thought of not being able to start it on trail or way, way out in BLM is just not OK. So, what I'm hoping to learn is how folks think / know this particular fix IS the fix when there's nothing on the TSB to indicate that an AUX battery voltage fail will then allow a second attempt to crank with a jump? In lieu of that, will I effectively get what I need with any flash update? So, for example, if the steering dampener recall has a flash, will I get the complete kit of all flash upadates? Or are flash updates specific to one issue? Any help you can offer would be most appreciated. Without confidence that I can start a battery on trail, I've got an $80k paper weight in my garage.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just went through a dead battery / no jump situation. Dealer replaced both batteries, but that's all. I asked about the flash and was told they could not do it. Reading the above, I do not feel comfortable providing symptoms that don't exist. And, at 0.3 hours of tech time to perform a flash update, I don't really care about paying for it even though I'm under 3 years and only at 23k miles. I use this thing for overlanding ... and the thought of not being able to start it on trail or way, way out in BLM is just not OK. So, what I'm hoping to learn is how folks think / know this particular fix IS the fix when there's nothing on the TSB to indicate that an AUX battery voltage fail will then allow a second attempt to crank with a jump? In lieu of that, will I effectively get what I need with any flash update? So, for example, if the steering dampener recall has a flash, will I get the complete kit of all flash upadates? Or are flash updates specific to one issue? Any help you can offer would be most appreciated. Without confidence that I can start a battery on trail, I've got an $80k paper weight in my garage.
@69 ORIGINAL

Well, you have been spoon fed the info so to speak.... and you don't want to hear it, lets say.... You, do though, want to whine so to speak, about your dealer and your " $80k paper weight in my garage." That is going to get you nowhere.

Anyway, you know how to proceed to get the update applied..

69 ORIGINAL

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS 3.6L & 2020 JLUS 2.0L
Occupation
Finance
@69 ORIGINAL

Well, you have been spoon fed the info so to speak.... and you don't want to hear it, lets say.... You, do though, want to whine so to speak, about your dealer and your " $80k paper weight in my garage." That is going to get you nowhere.

Anyway, you know how to proceed to get the update applied..
Rhinebeck01 - You regularly post on this forum, and for that I thank you and I am sure the community does as well too. I would like to push back on the snarkiness of your comment to me. Was that really necessary? Just telling someone my air conditioning is whining as a way to force a flash that may or may not be a fix is a fail in my opinion. I am trying to determine what needs to be done to enable me to jump start the vehicle in the future. I'm asking how someone / anyone knows that a particular TSB will, in fact, fix that programming when the TSB says nothing about AUX batteries or restarting at all. Other than statements on this forum that this particalr TSB contains the programming to make that happen, I really don't know if it will. I was hoping someone can connect those dots -- i.e., that this flash contains programming changes to the way the vehicle handles a low voltage AUX battery test.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rhinebeck01 - You regularly post on this forum, and for that I thank you and I am sure the community does as well too. I would like to push back on the snarkiness of your comment to me. Was that really necessary? Just telling someone my air conditioning is whining as a way to force a flash that may or may not be a fix is a fail in my opinion. I am trying to determine what needs to be done to enable me to jump start the vehicle in the future. I'm asking how someone / anyone knows that a particular TSB will, in fact, fix that programming when the TSB says nothing about AUX batteries or restarting at all. Other than statements on this forum that this particalr TSB contains the programming to make that happen, I really don't know if it will. I was hoping someone can connect those dots -- i.e., that this flash contains programming changes to the way the vehicle handles a low voltage AUX battery test.
@69 ORIGINAL

You come here asking for help... you whine a bit... and then when you get the exact info you need, you go on and on... Hopefully, in the next few hours other's here that had the TSB done will chime in and............

Do forum searches and read read... I tried to save you time and in essence, spoon fed you the info.

For sure I would not post that TSB 18-092-19, changed the start behavior of the 2018 JL (that had not had it applied already) unless I knew it for fact.... and also had it done on my 2018 JL and I know it did in fact change it's start behavior!

MANY here... not just me, have had the TSB applied and it does absolutely change the behavior of the 2018 as mentioned..

Snarky... no... just telling it like it is so to speak.. remember, you tagged me... Guess you brought the best out of me..

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
Hey, Ken. While it's unfortunate that your dealer refused to apply the flash, they were only following policy. I was fortunate to get it done without going in for any warranty work.

Unless someone with a won't-start episode has had the TSB done and had their vehicle start on a 2nd crank, it's unlikely anyone is going to guarantee that the TSB will, in fact, correct the behavior. The expectation is that it will. I get it... that's not exactly a vote of confidence, but the aux battery bypass is a viable alternative until you can get this done.

The other options are as stated...bypass, blower fan noise, wandering, steering box, any recall/warranty work, replace the batteries, etc.

Even if you don't have the symptoms... complain about it to get what you really want done. Not doing so is only going to leave you with uncertainty and a continued lack of confidence in the unreliable stock batteries.

Worst case is, you'll be without your Jeep for a few hours/days.

DirtRoad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Finally got my PCM updated. Here's what it took for me.

Made an appointment. Took it in and told service advisor I had 3 concerns. A/C blower noise excessive on max, intermittent rough idle and surging when coming to a stop, intermittent radio rebooting (all things I was experiencing and that relate to the PCM update TSB).

Service Advisor only wrote up the radio rebooting - they updated the radio and brought the Jeep back to me. When I looked at the invoice, I asked why he didn't write up my other two concerns and he said well if it's still giving me those other problems call him. So I drove home, called him and he said bring it back the next morning.

Next morning, took it back. I made sure he wrote up the A/C noise, and rough idle/surging. They updated my HVAC module and brought the Jeep back to me. I asked why not update the PCM too and the Service Advisor said the tech couldn't duplicate the problem but if I notice it again, call him back. Drove home, called the Service Advisor and said I still have idle roughness and surging when coming to a stop. He said bring it back in the morning.

Took it back this morning and they updated the PCM software.

So persistence seems to be the key in my case. It does actually seem to drive better just based on my short drive home. Hopefully it keeps me from getting stranded when my aux battery dies too.

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Finally got my PCM updated. Here's what it took for me.

Made an appointment. Took it in and told service advisor I had 3 concerns. A/C blower noise excessive on max, intermittent rough idle and surging when coming to a stop, intermittent radio rebooting (all things I was experiencing and that relate to the PCM update TSB).

Service Advisor only wrote up the radio rebooting - they updated the radio and brought the Jeep back to me. When I looked at the invoice, I asked why he didn't write up my other two concerns and he said well if it's still giving me those other problems call him. So I drove home, called him and he said bring it back the next morning.

Next morning, took it back. I made sure he wrote up the A/C noise, and rough idle/surging. They updated my HVAC module and brought the Jeep back to me. I asked why not update the PCM too and the Service Advisor said the tech couldn't duplicate the problem but if I notice it again, call him back. Drove home, called the Service Advisor and said I still have idle roughness and surging when coming to a stop. He said bring it back in the morning.

Took it back this morning and they updated the PCM software.

So persistence seems to be the key in my case. It does actually seem to drive better just based on my short drive home. Hopefully it keeps me from getting stranded when my aux battery dies too.
I would be be annoyed enough to give them a 1 on the review for making me go back 3 times.